Is phytate in brown rice an issue?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, I found out I am gluten intolerant recently and have been eating brown rice daily as a source of carbs and calories. I read about phytate in brown rice blocking the absorption of nutrients, but does that mean it just blocks the nutrients from the rice itself, in general, or is it so small it doesn't even matter? I actually prefer brown rice.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As I recall, phytates don’t necessarily “block” absorption, but they bind to minerals, and humans can’t, or at least have trouble, absorbing phytate-bound minerals. I’ve never researched extensively, so I don’t know much, but if you’re getting sufficient minerals elsewhere, I doubt you’d have any issues, as there would only be problems with the minerals in the rice.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As I recall, phytates don’t necessarily “block” absorption, but they bind to minerals, and humans can’t, or at least have trouble, absorbing phytate-bound minerals. I’ve never researched extensively, so I don’t know much, but if you’re getting sufficient minerals elsewhere, I doubt you’d have any issues, as there would only be problems with the minerals in the rice.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pretty much this. It will block the nutrients in the rice, maybe a little bit of the other things eaten in the same meal, but not nutrients of foods eaten at other times.

As long as you aren't only eating rice I'd say not to sweat it.

Phytic Acid also has some potential benefits (it works as an antioxidant, lowers blood glucose, possible cancer prevention benefits, etc.) so its not like it is something you need to fully avoid as being deleterious to health.