is mucuna pruriens safe long term?

jiu jitsu

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I have been taking a preworkout consistently for the past year or so. Wasn't aware of the effects of one of the ingredients: Mucuna pruriens (Ldopa 98%) 250 mg.

Im a little concerned about the longterm effects of this. I have been taking weekends off but now I feel like dumping it all together. I dont have any side effects currently and have taken time off of it 9a month or so) and felt no withdrawals. however I do have a but of twitching in my finger and chronic tinnitus idk if this is related or if its just something im noticing now due to paranoia.

G34RS

G34RS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I would say, probably not, but that is highly variable based on the individual. The dopamine system is very complex, and even now a lot of the interactions between it and other neurochemicals aren’t as well understood as they could be.

You’re basically going into the realm of antidepressants, antipsychotics, and parkinsion’s treatments with l-dopa, and possibly run the risk of chronically altering your dopamine system.

Whether or not you’ll face any long-term consequences is something you’d have to get evaluated by a neurologist for to get a definitive statement.

jiu jitsu

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I would say, probably not, but that is highly variable based on the individual. The dopamine system is very complex, and even now a lot of the interactions between it and other neurochemicals aren’t as well understood as they could be.

You’re basically going into the realm of antidepressants, antipsychotics, and parkinsion’s treatments with l-dopa, and possibly run the risk of chronically altering your dopamine system.

Whether or not you’ll face any long-term consequences is something you’d have to get evaluated by a neurologist for to get a definitive statement.
Any suggestions on keeping Prolactin down more "naturally" trying to stay away from Caber

G34RS

G34RS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Why are you concerned about prolactin? Are you on cycle or have you had a test with abnormal levels?

jiu jitsu

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Why are you concerned about prolactin? Are you on cycle or have you had a test with abnormal levels?
Im on TRT. but currently off and on Enclomiphene for fertility purposes

G34RS

G34RS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I’d get a prolactin test before you worry about messing with it. If it was at a point that it’d need to be controlled, you’d probably be lactating.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think that Mucuna Pruriens is safe long term but like anything, if you're taking anti-depressants the answer may vary by the person and what type you're taking and the dosage of both.

I use M-Test and Inhibit-P daily and both have Mucuna in them.

And because of my endocrinological and autoimmune disorders, I probably get bloodwork done more frequently than anyone else on the forum. I'm not exaggerating that I've had bloodwork done twice in the last 7 days, which sucks because I absolutely hate needles haha.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Any suggestions on keeping Prolactin down more "naturally" trying to stay away from Caber
We have a lot of people that use Inhibit-P for on cycle use and in PCT but probably even more that use it that are on HRT.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Scientific evidence would say yes, anecdotal would say no. Atleast that is what my own research has shown.

I'd guess real long term you could screw up your dopamine system somehow, or that really high doses could have some negative acute effects, and possibly I reactions with other meds. That said, conservative doses in the short term(<12 weeks) should have no real problems.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i think since you have taken weekend breaks its probably less of an issue than you imagine. I remember guys saying 60 days tops about 5 yrs ago.. but i have personally ran it during cycles much longer. no issues.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I ran 99% l -dopa ,old ai sports hghpro formula, or over a year, every single day. I do not recommend

Dopamine is the opposite of serotonin , it lowers serotonin, I feel I dropped my serotonin levels too low

Id recommend no more than two or three months max on l -dopa

* remember the percent counts a lot I was taking the strongest stuff at 99 %, most companies dont do that any mor and the brand I was taking even changed their percent and dose

jiu jitsu

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I ran 99% l -dopa ,old ai sports hghpro formula, or over a year, every single day. I do not recommend

Dopamine is the opposite of serotonin , it lowers serotonin, I feel I dropped my serotonin levels too low

Id recommend no more than two or three months max on l -dopa

* remember the percent counts a lot I was taking the strongest stuff at 99 %, most companies dont do that any mor and the brand I was taking even changed their percent and dose
What Makes you think that?