ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Never used Magnesium L Threonate before. Wondering if it would be good for sleep, or would be stimulating since it crosses the BBB readily? Anyone try it before bed?

NutButter

NutButter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I've tried taking it before bed and it was too stimulating for me. I had terrible sleep because of magtein, it worked fantastic for me when I took it during the day.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've tried taking it before bed and it was too stimulating for me. I had terrible sleep because of magtein, it worked fantastic for me when I took it during the day.
Thanks! I will probably continue glycinate at night, and Magtein in the day. Too tired to have insomnia.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I didn’t have any luck personally with Magtein at night or during the day.

I can’t remember if it kept me up when I took it at night though, but I do remember that it was something I never bought again.

I know @jarrellt67 has used it before too, and maybe still dose?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

I can’t remember if it kept me up when I took it at night though, but I do remember that it was something I never bought again.

Saw none of the brain benefits?

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Saw none of the brain benefits?
I honestly can’t remember exactly what effect it had on me, but I want to say pretty much nothing. It was within the past year- so I definitely would have remembered if it was something notable. I used the NOW foods brand...

J

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I've tried it many times but not right now. I liked it better for daytime use (however, even stopped taking it then due to the headaches it seemed to cause). The one real benefit I consistently saw with daytime use was a reduction in brain fog/clearer vision. For me, it was a bit stimulating, so not the best for sleep. However, ultimately all magnesium types make my sleep worse if taken too close to bed. So, my results should be taken with a grain of salt.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've tried it many times but not right now. I liked it better for daytime use (however, even stopped taking it then due to the headaches it seemed to cause). The one real benefit I consistently saw with daytime use was a reduction in brain fog/clearer vision. For me, it was a bit stimulating, so not the best for sleep. However, ultimately all magnesium types make my sleep worse if taken too close to bed. So, my results should be taken with a grain of salt.
Thank you!

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Paradoxical reaction....of course!

I want to say it kept me awake too, but more traditional forms of magnesium seem to suit me well for sleep. Magtein was one of the more forgettable supplements for me, which was disappointing due to the proposed benefits.

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks! I will probably continue glycinate at night, and Magtein in the day. Too tired to have insomnia.
This is probably the best course of action. Magnesium Threonate seems relatively effective at elevating brain Magnesium levels, but the dose needed also tends to be lower for total Magnesium content (therefore supplementing with additional Magnesium if wanted may be wise and one like Glycinate would probably compliment it well).

I think the thing to keep in mind is Magnesium Threonate is more of a long term and prevention style ingredient. Those purchasing hoping for strong boosts like other Nootropics are probably going to be disappointed. Lots of the research I had seen seems to point more towards this being beneficial in aging populations and those who are dealing with risks of mental decline.

It also tends to be rather expensive. Therefore it can be tough to justify cost for me right now, but as I get older if research improves or holds up it may end up in long term rotation as a preventative product one day.

Again ymmv and some may notice improvements at younger ages and find it worth it so don't write it off, just worth keeping in mind.

J

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Paradoxical reaction....of course!

I want to say it kept me awake too, but more traditional forms of magnesium seem to suit me well for sleep. Magtein was one of the more forgettable supplements for me, which was disappointing due to the proposed benefits.
Yeah, paradoxical reaction to most things gets old after a while. However, lately I have been able to tolerate slow release magnesium malate during the daytime.

M

Miles Johnson

Awards
Magtein is very forgettable and your money is better spent elsewhere

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, paradoxical reaction to most things gets old after a while. However, lately I have been able to tolerate slow release magnesium malate during the daytime.
Ha....yeah,

I am taking a Spring Valley chelated blend lately just at night. I figure it can’t hurt, and so far it hasn’t..

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Considering getting mag threonate. A friend of mine tried it with 200mg theanine and said he never slept so hard in his life. But, my question is, does it correct a deficiency? I've read that it doesn't, so does this act like it's own supplement and I should take 400mg of my normal magnesium as well?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Considering getting mag threonate. A friend of mine tried it with 200mg theanine and said he never slept so hard in his life. But, my question is, does it correct a deficiency? I've read that it doesn't, so does this act like it's own supplement and I should take 400mg of my normal magnesium as well?
I took it for a couple months. I didn't notice anything great to warranty buying it. But magnesium glycinate I always like to go back to.

M

mavup

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I would personally choose micromag sucrosomial magnesium or fully chelated magnesium glycinate to correct a deficiency, rather than doubling up with something on top of magtein.

I prefer micromag because it is 32-38% elemental magnesium and is easily absorbed but would go with glycinate (12.5-15% elemental Mg) if I were more interested in relaxation/sleep promotion from the glycine, or if I wanted the best value for correcting a deficiency.

Magtein is low in elemental magnesium (7.2-8.3%), is expensive, and probably not the best to correct a deficiency. It is bioavailable and is likely the preferred form to get magnesium into the brain (actually increases the flux of magnesium into the brain) and has other nootropic effects associated with the L-threonate (a mild AchEi, among a number of other things).

I don’t know enough about other forms but I remember researching and thinking that magnesium taurate would be alright.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I honestly can’t remember exactly what effect it had on me, but I want to say pretty much nothing. It was within the past year- so I definitely would have remembered if it was something notable. I used the NOW foods brand...
I used Notropics Depot Magtein (powder) and didn't see any results either ☹

G

Garyboy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you guys know if there’s a difference between magnesium glycinate and magnesium bisglycinate? I typically take the bisglycinate, but after trying the magnesium glycinate, my sleep was considerably deeper on it. Thanks for your input.

M

mavup

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Do you guys know if there’s a difference between magnesium glycinate and magnesium bisglycinate? I typically take the bisglycinate, but after trying the magnesium glycinate, my sleep was considerably deeper on it. Thanks for your input.
Same thing. Bisglycinate just specifies that there are actually two glycines that “balance out” the Mg2+. The difference could be the quality of the product from the brands you were using.

G

Garyboy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Same thing. Bisglycinate just specifies that there are actually two glycines that “balance out” the Mg2+. The difference could be the quality of the product from the brands you were using.
Thank you.