Is it possible to go from 154lbs to 196lbs in 5 months?

Evans55

Awards
Hi all, I’m stand at 6’ and currently weigh 154lbs. I havebarley any fat on my body and am a rugby player. I’m looking at changing sports but to do that I am hoping to gain some weight, the 190-196lb mark is what I’m aiming for and am hoping to have got to there or as close as possible to that by next March that’s 5 months away. I know this weight gain is attainable on Steroids but I’m hoping to do it natural and for it to be mostly muscle gained.
Thanks guys

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
naturally adding 40lb of muscle in 5 years would be a stretch... in 5 months, you'll be lucky to add 10lb of LBM. Even in a horrifically dirty bulk it would be hard to add 40lb in 5 months without some form of anabolic, and even then thats pretty unrealistic. The human body can only grow so fast.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
When I first started squatting and deadlifting, we followed a 3-day/wk A-B-A full body split and were told to eat like it was our jobs. I had previously went from 160 when to 165 in a year of bro benching, machines and curls. Once we started doing big compounds with big calories, I gained 25lbs in 6 months - naturally.

Did I get fatter? A little, maybe 5%, but a huge percentage of that was true newb gainz. I looked a lot better as a slightly fatter 190 than the scrawny 165, that’s for sure. And I was way stronger.

I would think 30lbs could be done reasonably.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
As others have said it's not going to happen if you're talking LBM. At 195lb you'll be looking at coming close to your natural genetic potential in 5 months assuming 10-12% bf (take a look at stats of the old time Mr.America winners)
At higher bf levels 15%+ you may certainly hit 200lb+ but I'd wager a year of consistent ball busting work with compounds and eating like a horse will be required to achieve the weight you want. I'd shoot for a 20-25lb gain (some will be fat) on a bulk.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hi all, I’m stand at 6’ and currently weigh 154lbs. I havebarley any fat on my body and am a rugby player. I’m looking at changing sports but to do that I am hoping to gain some weight, the 190-196lb mark is what I’m aiming for and am hoping to have got to there or as close as possible to that by next March that’s 5 months away. I know this weight gain is attainable on Steroids but I’m hoping to do it natural and for it to be mostly muscle gained.
Thanks guys
Reverse it. Can you go from 196 to 154 and not lose any muscle in 5 months. Not a chance.

If you take that and how your body chooses what to keep and what to dispense with in a loss, then you'll gain some idea of how it stores fat and grows muscle along the way. Physiologically, and naturally gaining muscle without fat is not optional if we are going from 0-100mph in a 1/4 mile. The body starts to store fat with excess calories, and you need excess calories to gain muscle too.

You're skinny at 6' 154, so when I say you'll gain fat, it won't be a noticeable (fat) change, but muscle will also be hard earned. I'd say 10 pounds which would give you some great muscularity, but not much more, and I don't think you can eat enough to naturally make much more of a change. Your metabolism is doing its thing.

Why do you want to get from 154 to 190's so quick? It won't happen.
To see more of where I am coming from, I lost 120 pounds over 2 years and kept my muscle, then gained muscle and lost fat. I was fat to begin with so my body fat was way up there in the stratosphere. It's a journey my friend, enjoy it. You will get there.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
OP never said he wants to gain 40lbs of muscle - people are missing that we’re talking about an athlete trying to get heavier & stronger naturally for a contact sport.

OP, you can gain 40lbs in that time, but understand that the more you gain & the faster you gain, the lower the quality of mass. Like many here have said, the body can only build muscle naturally so fast. So evaluate as you go honestly & be willing to slow down, because if you get so fat you start losing your athleticism it may not be worth the tradeoff. Even 20lbs will make a big difference.

Evans55

Awards
Thanks for all the replies guys, I understand now that the weight I wanted to gain is a very unrealistic goal to set and even if I gained 15-20lbs of quality mass then that would make a huge difference to my skinny frame

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
OP never said he wants to gain 40lbs of muscle - people are missing that we’re talking about an athlete trying to get heavier & stronger naturally for a contact sport.

OP, you can gain 40lbs in that time, but understand that the more you gain & the faster you gain, the lower the quality of mass. Like many here have said, the body can only build muscle naturally so fast. So evaluate as you go honestly & be willing to slow down, because if you get so fat you start losing your athleticism it may not be worth the tradeoff. Even 20lbs will make a big difference.
he did say "hoping for it to be mostly muscle gained" - which is why we all said its not really possible. At that speed even 60:40 muscle would be a good ratio.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Lots of variable such as training history and genetics will dictate but even with roids your not going to achieve that imo - unless your willing to just get fat as fcuk.

Mitch_310

Mitch_310

Awards
  • Established
It’s probably possible. But you’ll most likely just end up being obese. I think for a natural guy adding 20-25lbs of lbm in one year if you have never started lifting is as good as it’s gonna get. I wouldn’t overdue it on the calories either. Aka “dirty bulking” I tried to do that once and I ended up getting pudgy. Almost a dad bod look with more muscle on my frame. It took me about 5-6 months to cut down to a very lean level of bodyfat. Just eat at around 300-400 calories above your TDEE. Focus on progressive overload, heavy compound lifts. And you’ll blow up in size pretty fast

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With enough gear it's definitely achievable. Hard but achievable naturally no, not a chance

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
With enough gear it's definitely achievable. Hard but achievable naturally no, not a chance
I used to weigh over 400lbs. I am currenty 240lbs. I can easily put on 50lbs in two months. But I agree that this is something only a small part of the population can acheive.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You absolutely can put on 40lbs. It's not gonna be pure muscle but in your situation being that thin, 100% can do it and probably not get fat too.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It’s probably possible. But you’ll most likely just end up being obese. I think for a natural guy adding 20-25lbs of lbm in one year if you have never started lifting is as good as it’s gonna get. I wouldn’t overdue it on the calories either. Aka “dirty bulking” I tried to do that once and I ended up getting pudgy. Almost a dad bod look with more muscle on my frame. It took me about 5-6 months to cut down to a very lean level of bodyfat. Just eat at around 300-400 calories above your TDEE. Focus on progressive overload, heavy compound lifts. And you’ll blow up in size pretty fast
At 6ft talk 190lbs he's gonna probably be obese, ok

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And he said gain 40lbs, not put on 40lbs of pure muscle. Any1 Can gain 40 lbs In 5 months
Yeah, but if 30+ pounds of it is fat, I'd argue that it would have, if anything, a net overall negative effect on sports ability/performance. I'd just aim to bulk at a reasonable pace, with a moderate caloric surplus, and if he gains 15, 20, 30, etc. pounds, that's what he gains; better than gaining a ton of weight just for the majority of it to be fat.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yeah, but if 30+ pounds of it is fat, I'd argue that it would have, if anything, a net overall negative effect on sports ability/performance. I'd just aim to bulk at a reasonable pace, with a moderate caloric surplus, and if he gains 15, 20, 30, etc. pounds, that's what he gains; better than gaining a ton of weight just for the majority of it to be fat.
I'm assuming he's young because of the sports. I help out over the summer with my nephews football team 3 years in a row. Plenty of them have gained 20,30,40 lbs over the summer doing full body 3 times a week and slamming food. Do they look like jacked bodybuilders, of course not. But there bigger, stronger and faster. This is for a sport, not bodybuilding. And if your in the gym working out hard and not binging on crap your your not gonna turn into a blob.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If he’s doing it for a sport, drug testing may be an issue
Exactly my point. I was saying in 5 months that type of muscle gain, even on LOTS of juice would be tough, and naturally it's damn near impossible. Now if this guy is 15 or 16, never lifted in his life, and going through a growth spurt it possible. I put 50 lean mass in year, naturally, before. I was 13, it was first year of real lifting, and I was growing. However, I don't this is the case for this guy.

Evans55

Awards
I think if I jumped into the training now, gear or not the boxing is gonna make gains impossible as it’ll lean me out and burn off the calories I consume making the idea of gaining obsolete which is why I wanted to gain the weight then jump in, I’m 18 btw

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm assuming he's young because of the sports. I help out over the summer with my nephews football team 3 years in a row. Plenty of them have gained 20,30,40 lbs over the summer doing full body 3 times a week and slamming food. Do they look like jacked bodybuilders, of course not. But there bigger, stronger and faster. This is for a sport, not bodybuilding. And if your in the gym working out hard and not binging on crap your your not gonna turn into a blob.
My only point is it’d make more sense to focus on training hard and having a moderate caloric surplus then on a fixed weight gain of X pounds. If he “only” gains 20lbs, that’s fine too; better than trying to “force” 40+ pounds. That’s all I’m saying.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I added 40 lbs naturally in my first year of working out but I had to dirty bulk to get there and the results weren’t what you’re looking for I’m sure.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Between November 25th or so of 2016 and January 1 of 2017 I gained 25 pounds.

I am pretty sure at least 1 oz of it was muscle.