Is it possible to add muscle weight in your 50s if one has been lifting heavy

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
for years prior to? Is it?

I mean all natural of course.

Say one has been strength training for a decade or so. Can we still add muscle weight/mass or are we already at the top end and grow in weight moved only due to CNS adaption to increased weight/reps?

Is there a cutoff in terms of reaching the upper limit? Is it based on age, years training?

I recall seeing a graph which showed how much gains diminish(are harder to achieve) for every additional year of training.

ozzie1987

ozzie1987

Awards
I think everyone has their genetic limits, that’s if diet, sleep, and training are perfect. Natural test levels decrease as well which will affect growth. Good question though, I’d be interested to see what people say on this. I’m in my 30s and wonder how much natural growth I have left in the tank!

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I guess folks here use stuff and are not natty to increase mass once at a certain age or years of training

Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Awards
I was all set to say yes until I realized you wanted an answer to “all natural.” To be honest , no, not if you have been working out all along. I know, I tried for years and all I got was injured. It would be possible if a guy started lifting for the first time in their 50s.

Also, why not TRT? I think it’s not natural to have low testosterone levels. TRT will put you safely in the high end of the normal range, so it is not unnatural, it’s where it should be.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was all set to say yes until I realized you wanted an answer to “all natural.” To be honest , no, not if you have been working out all along. I know, I tried for years and all I got was injured. It would be possible if a guy started lifting for the first time in their 50s.

Also, why not TRT? I think it’s not natural to have low testosterone levels. TRT will put you safely in the high end of the normal range, so it is not unnatural, it’s where it should be.
My T-levels are normal according to blood work.

Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Awards
What does normal mean, it can be in the "normal" range and still be low
Yep. To build muscle testosterone should be in the upper range of normal for both free testosterone and total testosterone. Normal is a meaningless term, as the average man’s test levels suck.

Mzakif

Mzakif

Awards
  • Established
In to see what others would say

However I think it’s not easy and the answer might be no due to decline in hormones levels impact

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been checking t-levels since 2012. Have a long running thread in the Male Anti-aging section with six month and yearly updates. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/215018-time-frame-reduce.html Asked the Dr. about TRT he says not necessary. I am 749 free T at the Dec. 2017 blood draw. Scale I believe is up to 1050 or 1100. I was 970 in 2012 when first tested. My DHT and IGF-1 are high. Free T is moderate(high SHBG) I use the strength standards by age spreadsheet and see I am currently in the proficient to advanced+++ category depending on the movement. Still gaining this year due to new routine from February so the reason for the question. I look at the Elite levels and they appear daunting.
https://symmetricstrength.com/standards#/

I started lifting on 2012. Only machines, then weights about a year later. Then good gains with diminishing returns.
This year I have a training partner and spotter so weight moved has increased in the past eight months.

I tried some of the natural T boosters and disliked the effects. Too aggressive, too hyper, uncomfortable. I wonder if TRT will have a similar effect.

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
My personal opinion is yes, it is possible. I am pushing 54 and have been at this game for a long time. Lifted heavy for years but started realizing the law of diminished returns. Always sore, recovery took forever and my lifts were stuck. I decided to make a huge change and did no powerlifting or serious conventional strength training for 12 weeks. I instead concentrated on the olympic lifts and the accessory lifts for them. Best thing I ever did. My overall body strength got better. When I moved back to a more conventional training program, I was amazed at how different the lifts felt. Stability in the squat and deadlift was incredible. Overhead movements improved drastically.

My apologies for a long winded response. I guess what I'm getting at is sometimes a big change is necessary to make things happen. Especially as we get older. I've put on 10 solid pounds since returning to the strength routine and recently set 2 PRs. So yeah... It's possible.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It depends on a person Genetics,and Knowledge about Training,Dieting, Supplement,and their Normal Lifestyle.