Is direct ab training useless for people over 15% bodyfat?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Is it worth doing direct ab training if you are 15% or above bodyfat? Should one just stick to compound movements and not worry about sit ups/crunches etc until they can reduce their bodyfat to sub 15%?

(yes, it's about me :( )

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I do assorted ab work, while on a cut, but dont go hardcore on the abs right now. I do some crunchs, leg lifts, russian twist, and planks. It will only help when we get to the point of seeing abs clearly.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is it worth doing direct ab training if you are 15% or above bodyfat? Should one just stick to compound movements and not worry about sit ups/crunches etc until they can reduce their bodyfat to sub 15%?

Well the thing with that is more importantly than being able to see your abs is your core strength. I think it's definitely important to work them for more reasons than just aesthetics. The core is the base of strength and stabilizes much of your body.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well the thing with that is more importantly than being able to see your abs is your core strength. I think it's definitely important to work them for more reasons than just aesthetics. The core is the base of strength and stabilizes much of your body.
But would kettlebell swings, and db snatches be good enough compound movements to build up my abs? I workout at home and have very limited equipment. I've tried doing crunches and sit ups but I never feel anything in my abs. I also tried slow eccentrics sit ups (where I explosively sit up but slowly go back down) but I feel a lot of strain in my back. I thought that I'm probably not feeling anything in my abs because too much fat is in the way so I wasn't sure if it was worth doing direct ab training until I get my bodyfat down.

thebadbambino

Awards
Try doing a pelvic tilt and holding it while doing your crunches. It’ll engage your core much more. Imo you should always train your core regardless of body fat because your core is so crucial for every lift and literally everything else you do. Your core (unlike other muscles) is always activated in some way shape or form. Having a strong core can help prevent a lot of injuries and therefore setbacks in the gym. Do it for longevity, not aesthetics.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
As a few have said above, training your abs is important to developing overall strength, as well and helping you to move more weight, safely, on the big compounds - core strength essential on squat and deadlifts in particular, along with anything overhead.

Sit ups and crunches are not the best though (I’m not one to hate on any exercise as most have a place but they give limited bang for your buck).

Anti extension or rotation has been shown to be hugely effective along with isometric holds.....so, ab roll outs (seem to recall this being scientifically proven as providing most ab activation), paloff press (personal favourite), fall outs, anti press, waiters/farmers walks/carries, planks (all variations and hollow holds (I do this Tabata style for 4 mins - brutal but effective) are all really good.

diana_wills

Awards
I couldn't agree more. Start with basics and then move forward, the results will be so much better.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I couldn't agree more. Start with basics and then move forward, the results will be so much better.
Add Cardio, solid 15min on elliptical or treadmill, first... Then once heart rate is up and sweating begins, now hit the weights after short walking rest, catching breath.

Also, stevia based and affordable sugar replacement. Cut the sugar. I use this iced tea cereal, hot coffee, can dip fruit too...
https://express.google.com/u/0/product/17357706012005921305_973482312491246995_8175035

Do this 3x-4x per week OP will be stronger and total BF% will drop, as well as keeping heart and lungs proper. Then you can add the ab focused exercises and see results because you burnt off the overall fat covering the muscles you are fine tuning.

A little daily Ostarine will help to speed this up, to sub 10 percent BF.

Also, I float nominally at 14-15% BF but when I control diet, run, lift, I get to 10-11% BF, but sub 10% would require even stricter diet and some fat burners I would only touch if I had stage ambitions.

I find bulk cycles more effective if I am more lean to start, otherwise risk of fat gain jumps up now at 38 y/o.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it. Abs are something I find really hard to target. I tried really hard to focus on them when I was doing turkish get ups (half way only, not getting up on my legs) and I had a terrible charlie horse in my abs. Every time I bent down, I felt like my abs were tearing apart :O

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Think of it this way, even if someone is very lean, their abs may not look that great or even appear non existent. Just like any other muscle group, you want to make your abs larger and thicker. This way when you are at a lower body fat, they will appear more. I'm sure you've seen lean guys with very little ab development because they do not do anything for their muscles. You do want to work on them to make them thicker, bigger, and stronger.

cody199477

Awards
  • Established
only time I believe in direct core work is when you first start lifting and get those “noob gains” or beginner gains. Once your abs are developed I don’t believe they will get any better, but with your obliques and serratus can get more developed. That’s just my opinion though. To answer your question if you can’t see them then you should direct your focus toward cardio and diet