Is BSN Syntha-6 no good?

yelis300

yelis300

Awards
  • Established
I recently picked up 2 2.9lb tubs of this from bb.com because they were having a 2 hour flash sale that I saw the other day. Basically got 6 lbs of protein for $43 after shipping which makes it about $7/lb which is pretty good. I got the banana flavor so I can bake up some muffins and bread with it. I should have read the label before I ordered but I didn't. The ingredients list shows the protein first in the list as this and in this order:

Whey protein concentrate
Whey protein isolate
Calcium caseinate
Micellar casein
Milk protein isolate
Egg albumin
Glutamine peptides

The nutritional label shows a serving is 47.2 grams
And the protein per serving is 22 grams

That to me says the mix is less than 50% protein by weight (not very good)

And the added glutamine peptides seems unnecessary and fishy to me. Looks like it was "spiked" with glutamine and that makes the less than 50% protein by weight even worse. Right now I'm thinking I won't be buying BSN anymore...ever! Not that I ever bought a lot of it though. I've tried the n.o. Explode before and it was quite good to be honest but this protein looks fishy to me and I just don't like dishonest companies.

I do understand that there's a lot of flavoring ingredients in there and that's fine. I've tasted it before and it's very good, but I can't justify a less than 50% protein by weight.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

nbfootball65

Awards
Optimum Nutrition owns BSN. I took Syntha-6 when I first started working out mostly because it was a blend and great tasting, I just needed some type of protein. I think Syntha-6 is ok of a protein.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I was never a fan of the profile at all.

If it fit your macros and you weren't picky over quality sure.
But most of us are here because we do care about these things

If you want quality grab PES Select, hands down.

nbfootball65

Awards
I was never a fan of the profile at all.

If it fit your macros and you weren't picky over quality sure.
But most of us are here because we do care about these things

If you want quality grab PES Select, hands down.
PES is the best lol. 100% Agreeed.

yelis300

yelis300

Awards
  • Established
I probably would not have bought, had I read the label first. Oh well, it was fairly cheap and does taste good but with 50% protein by weight, it ends up costing me more than say a 95% protein by weight @$10/lb. I've looked at pes select and it has one of the highest, if not THE highest protein by weight I've seen. Normally I only buy high quality because I do care about quality but I just jumped on this since it was so cheap, but reality is its not saving me anything. Maybe it will make my muffins/bread taste really good lol.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
It does taste good though...so does their DNA series whey. So there is that. And you could do worse.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'd say its an ok protein powder. Their orange smoothie and chocolate chip cookie dough is awesome! I crave them to drive. So if you want an average protein and awesome taste syntha-6 would be good. If you want a quality protein pes select is pretty hard to beat.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd say its an ok protein powder. Their orange smoothie and chocolate chip cookie dough is awesome! I crave them to drive. So if you want an average protein and awesome taste syntha-6 would be good. If you want a quality protein pes select is pretty hard to beat.
So are you saying that drinking this brand of protein helps you drive better?. Or you can't operate a motor vehicle without first ingesting a protein powder?. Either way, that's very strange. I'm able to drive as long as I have my contacts in, but the type of food I eat doesn't influence my driving either way. Well, maybe if I drink too much water and have to piss every five minutes.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Or My Protein. My Protein is also quality stuff. They have some great deals and sales on whey concentrate.
I'm a big my protein guy. The flavors are great. It mixes well with water or milk. And recently discovered it bakes pretty nicely too.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Optimum Nutrition owns BSN. I took Syntha-6 when I first started working out mostly because it was a blend and great tasting, I just needed some type of protein. I think Syntha-6 is ok of a protein.
I am pretty sure ON is not associated with BSN

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am pretty sure ON is not associated with BSN
Ok I was kinda right. After a google search they are own by the same people. However they don't have any association with each other. They are separate division. Essentially they operate like they are own by themselves and not by the same people.

yelis300

yelis300

Awards
  • Established
Just FYI for y'all but protein factory carries leucine peptides. Same stuff added to PES Select. I had been looking for this and just found it today.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Ok I was kinda right. After a google search they are own by the same people. However they don't have any association with each other. They are separate division. Essentially they operate like they are own by themselves and not by the same people.
Glanbia... who actually own cows :)

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Just FYI for y'all but protein factory carries leucine peptides. Same stuff added to PES Select. I had been looking for this and just found it today.
The people that make HydraMax also make a stand alone Leucine Peptide product. I remember it being in the $80 range, but don't know for how much. $45 for 454g doesn't look too bad if it is quality.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I remember when Syntha-6 came out and it was a really great option at the time given what else was currently available. However, there are some great proteins now that focus on flavor and quality: my favorite being Select.

dave39

dave39

Awards
  • Established
There are tons of great Wheys available, Syntha 6 is not one of them.

Syntha 6 is the protein teenagers use because their friends think it tastes awesome and is pretty much steroids. Not to mention it is high in cholesterol.

If you are buying a protein powder and looking for quality and quantity than stick to the recommendations in this thread.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are tons of great Wheys available, Syntha 6 is not one of them.

Syntha 6 is the protein teenagers use because their friends think it tastes awesome and is pretty much steroids. Not to mention it is high in cholesterol.

If you are buying a protein powder and looking for quality and quantity than stick to the recommendations in this thread.
It being high in cholesterol is not an issue. Eating high levels of cholesterol and its carriers HDL(good cholesterol carrying protein) and LDL(bad cholesterol carrying protein) do not effect the blood levels of them. Matter of fact in a recent study, people who ate 4 whole eggs(according to the FDA 1 egg contains 100% daily value of cholesterol and LDL. The FDAs standards are bullsh!t.) in morning had lower levels of cholesterol and LDL and higher HDL then the people who ate cereal or beagles for breakfast. Also on top of that the FDA its self recently said they were wrong about cholesterol and its connection to heart disease(dont believe me look it up).

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"Cholesterol is no longer a villain. The 2010 guidelines suggested we should limit cholesterol from foods to no more than 300 milligrams daily. (A large egg has about 186 mg of cholesterol.) Experts now say cholesterol is 'not a nutrient of concern,' because cholesterol from foods doesn't cause higher blood cholesterol levels"( http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20150226/food-guidelines-surprises).

There's a lot more info(proof) i could show you but im tired and i dont want to. So just please stop spreading misinformation. This cholesterol myth is the most frustrating myth ever and needs to die.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll echo that it's not a bad protein, but obviously there are more macro-friendly options that taste great. Don't feel bad about purchasing this one, though, OP. Hopefully it's good for baking, too.

But for anyone else reading, PES Select, Trutein, Cellucor, and USP Modern Protein are all solid options I've used and recommend.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good rule of thumb never listening to what the government's advice is on whats healthy and how much of this or that we should have. Other then heavy metals. They set those DVs around when its starts to become toxic and dangerous. You never ever want to have an excess of heavy metals. You got to remember the governement is the same people that say we should all be eating over 300Gs of carbs and only 50Gs of protien {becuase any more want be absorbed(which is such a freaking joke)}. Those government guidlines is a recipe to be fat. I feel bad for any overweight kids that are forced to learn these government guidelines of what is healthy in there PE and health class. So the think that is what they need to do to lose weight.

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
I like the Synthe6 isolate, it's lower in carbs. I use it more for treats like smoothies and mixing with yoghurt, not as my go to post training.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was going to buy it, the deal expired in my cart lol, but i was going to buy ten tubs. Thats good protein none the less, but as everyone said the macros arent the best. Personally on a bulk and intended to use to make my own weight gainer shakes. I prefer select for a great tasting and great profile protein.

dawilk59

dawilk59

Awards
Syntha 6 is a good source of protein if you are not cutting or trying to stay really lean and your focusing more on building muscle. It is higher in carbs, around 13g I think, than most other protein powders.

Just get gold standard like the rest of the community haha. :notworthy:

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Syntha 6 is a good source of protein if you are not cutting or trying to stay really lean and your focusing more on building muscle. It is higher in carbs, around 13g I think, than most other protein powders.

Just get gold standard like the rest of the community haha. :notworthy:
not personally a fan of gold standard actually - pretty heavy price for ?just whey?