Is Blood Lactate a Sign of Over-Training?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

1. Recently, I have been getting into KB training.

2. Many gurus are now saying Kettlebells are the best single thing a person can do.

At least according to Dan John et. al, some people have done 1000 KB swings a day, for ten days straight, with no signs of over-training.

They say blood lactate was one of their measures, and even after ten days, there was no sign of it.

3. Any thoughts on this?

I know, in reality, someone would be bored doing nothing but thousands of kb swings, and maybe pushups.

However, in theory, doing up to 1000 kb swings, and 1000 pushups, every single day would be a way for someone to get in shape, gain muscle, gain strength, get conditioned, lose fat, in their own home.

Yes, hundreds of other exercise methods would also work. I just think kb training, with pushups, is a minimalist answer.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I skimmed the article. Certainly a long one, so there may be some finer points that I missed, however I will say that if you'd only be doing those two exercises and nothing else then you'd be setting yourself up for overtraining (possibly) and for strength imbalances (almost certainly). Depending on how much weight you used for the swings, and how many reps you do per set, you could also be setting yourself up for tendonitis. All of this is assuming proper form for both exercises, without that the list of potential consequnces only grows.

Could you do this as an experiment just to see if you can handle it and what sorts of results you might see? Absolutely you could (I'd even encourage you to post a detailed daily log here for as long as you kept it going, for science).

But

Even if "gurus" are saying KB swings are the single best thing a person can do, that isn't the same as saying they are the only thing a person should do. If you have the time that would be needed to do 1000+ KB swings, why would you spend that time doing only KB swings, when you can just use them for some portion of your training program? Feel free to correct me if any of the following is wrong, but I feel like rear delts, lats, biceps, triceps, calves, and abs all get short-changed if this is the only exercise you're performing (and adding pushups to the plan only covers the triceps base, hits the pecs a bit harder, and further exaserbates the potential for a strength imbalace between the front and rear delts, which over time would result in poorer posture and eventually rotator cuff strains).

Still, if you do it I'm intersted to hear about how it goes and I hope you'll keep us informed!

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
PLEASE click only once to post.
Just once.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
PLEASE click only once to post.
Just once.
For some reason, whenever I post, it always does a duplicate posting. I know, it is annoying for me, too. I will try to delete the duplicate post.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Stop looking for the magic pill
Thanks. I am not looking for some magic program, but simply want the best programs, etc.

For example, in all my experience, living life over again...I would see certain doctors and skip all the rest that turned out to have poor performance (especially chiropractors). I would not use many supplements, instead opting for pure whey, creatine monohydrate, and real anabolic steroids (bought and prescribed legally). For education, I would go to certain courses and certain universities and discard everyone else who promised more.

I know magazines, ebooks, etc. probably have millions of different options. I just want the ten or so books, info, workout programs, etc. that actually work.

For weight gain, Anthony Ellis' book of "Gaining Mass" does a great job.

For trimming down effectively, "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" seems the best book. The forum is good, too.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thanks. I am not looking for some magic program, but simply want the best programs, etc.

For example, in all my experience, living life over again...I would see certain doctors and skip all the rest that turned out to have poor performance (especially chiropractors). I would not use many supplements, instead opting for pure whey, creatine monohydrate, and real anabolic steroids (bought and prescribed legally). For education, I would go to certain courses and certain universities and discard everyone else who promised more.

I know magazines, ebooks, etc. probably have millions of different options. I just want the ten or so books, info, workout programs, etc. that actually work.

For weight gain, Anthony Ellis' book of "Gaining Mass" does a great job.

For trimming down effectively, "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" seems the best book. The forum is good, too.
The best program is the one you can stick with and progress at, any program can be the best for you given it meets some basic criteria, but kettle Bell swings and pushups is a crap routine.

Initially it's going to build a small amount of muscle but it's going to be way more conditioning work then it is hypertrophy. Also a extremely important aspect to any good workout is a form of progression. Once you can do your 1000 swings and 1000pushups you no longer have progression unless you keep adding reps. But with reps high like that there is no muscle building going on. Your essentially using weights to do your cardio.

All the fad workouts (which that is) and fad diets all work initially for someone who is out of shape because your giving them a challenge greater then what they can Currently perform. But once they accomplish that fad program it's over. No more room for progression until you find a more challenging fad program.

The same basic principles that guys used in the 1950's still apply today. Progressive overload, eat more to get bigger, eat less to loose weight.

All the fancy jumbo and science can say whatever it wants but none of those fad programs or science studies ever built any respectable looking body , ever!

The guy selling the program built his body like everyone else and then came up with his song and dance to sell his "program"

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
For some reason, whenever I post, it always does a duplicate posting. I know, it is annoying for me, too. I will try to delete the duplicate post.
It's because your clicking the button twice. 90% of the time someone makes a thread they press the button and then it just loads, nothing happens. So everyone keeps pushing the button and however many times you press it is how many threads get made

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. All good, sound advice.

I will try it.