Is benching 225lbs × 14 times impressive/ strong?

ER47

Awards
Would you consider it impressive/strong? Bodyweight of 228lbs to 230lbs

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
It's above average, especially if you're really tall.

See what you can do with 315 one week...

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
At 6 foot 4 or 6 foot 5 228 lbs it would be respectable and somewhat impressive because you’d be skinny. In the range of 5 foot 9 to 6 foot it’s not impressive at all.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s nothing special, it’s good work but it’s high schoolers that do 20+.

2Burnt2

Awards
Jon Cena once said he hits 315(max or reps not sure of) while in his swole stage. So its possible depending on goals.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I believe the college football combine record for 225 is 49 reps. 14 reps is not “impressive” unless you don’t work out at all.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
It’s nothing special, it’s good work but it’s high schoolers that do 20+.
I agree somewhat that it's nothing special, though I think it's still a decent lift. The average high school power lifter can't bench 300lbs for a 1RM. 20+ x 225 is a projected 1RM of 375+lbs, so I don't think it's high schoolers that are benching 225x20+.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I believe the college football combine record for 225 is 49 reps. 14 reps is not “impressive” unless you don’t work out at all.
49 is the record, but not the norm. And this is the NFL combine, college players that will be going in to the draft to be elite professional athletes 4-5 months later. Only the 300+lb linemen reach the 30s in reps for the most part. The 200lb RB or DB averages in the teens in reps. 225lbs x14 reps is a projected 1RM of 330lbs. So, the OP is not quite at elite athlete strength and likely won't win his weight class at a regional power lifting meet, but he probably out-benches most of the guys in his gym.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I can read.
Already assumed that since you are posting on an internet board. Care to clarify "225 plates at 228 LBS OF BODY WEIGHT is not a good lift. It’s okay" since no one else was talking about 225x1? Perhaps I misunderstood.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I agree somewhat that it's nothing special, though I think it's still a decent lift. The average high school power lifter can't bench 300lbs for a 1RM. 20+ x 225 is a projected 1RM of 375+lbs, so I don't think it's high schoolers that are benching 225x20+.
I didn’t say that every high schooler (far from it) can do it, I said it is high schoolers that can do it. I don’t really understand how this can be a argument at all, everyone on this site should know better.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I didn’t say that every high schooler (far from it) can do it, I said it is high schoolers that can do it. I don’t really understand how this can be a argument at all, everyone on this site should know better.
I never said no high schooler (far from it) can do it, I said, "average high school power lifter." So, "average high school power lifter" doesn't mean all high schoolers, nor no high schoolers. Posting a video of a single mutant high schooler doing over 20 reps make your comment "it's high schoolers that do 20+" (your exact words) right, as if high schoolers doing 20+ is the norm. Everyone on this site should know better. It sounds like you meant some high schoolers can, but what's the point, since it's possible that there is a girl out there that out benches you? There are freaks out there, but the OP just asked if his lift was impressive or strong. Your comment came off like it's typical that high schoolers are out benching him by a mile.

For reference, here are the averages (which was what I referenced in my comment before) by age and weight class for high school power lifters, so athletes that lift heavy weight, not the chess club.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's a good number of reps no question. Now it does friend on your bodyweight somewhat as well but it's a good number.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think we all know this comes down to what standards we’re holding this to.

Your local gym, fitness center, health club will definitely have more than 1 individual who can do this (all different ranges of age, bodyweight and drug use too). But it won’t be the average.

If you go to a local power meet, most of the 220 & 242 lifters can probably do this. Some will be able to blow it away, and some will be younger natural lifters and even sporting bigger squats or pull will not have developed the upper body musculature to pull this off yet.

This is a great honest video from someone actually strong (500+ bench, 400+ overhead, 700+ squat & pull) about realistic standards:

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I never said no high schooler (far from it) can do it, I said, "average high school power lifter." So, "average high school power lifter" doesn't mean all high schoolers, nor no high schoolers. Posting a video of a single mutant high schooler doing over 20 reps make your comment "it's high schoolers that do 20+" (your exact words) right, as if high schoolers doing 20+ is the norm. Everyone on this site should know better. It sounds like you meant some high schoolers can, but what's the point, since it's possible that there is a girl out there that out benches you? There are freaks out there, but the OP just asked if his lift was impressive or strong. Your comment came off like it's typical that high schoolers are out benching him by a mile.

For reference, here are the averages (which was what I referenced in my comment before) by age and weight class for high school power lifters, so athletes that lift heavy weight, not the chess club.

And you coming off as an angry lesbian that wants to argue about everything, I bet you can find better forums for your needs elsewhere.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
And you coming off as an angry lesbian that wants to argue about everything, I bet you can find better forums for your needs elsewhere.
Name calling on an internet board. Awesome. Simply because you posted a dumbass comment and I question it, I'm an "angry lesbian that wants to argue about everything." It's a discussion board. That's literally why most of us are here.

As far as finding another forum... I'm sorry, is this your personal forum? Are you running things now?? I've been a member here since 2004, junior. So f*ck off with sh*t.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
49 is the record, but not the norm. And this is the NFL combine, college players that will be going in to the draft to be elite professional athletes 4-5 months later. Only the 300+lb linemen reach the 30s in reps for the most part. The 200lb RB or DB averages in the teens in reps. 225lbs x14 reps is a projected 1RM of 330lbs. So, the OP is not quite at elite athlete strength and likely won't win his weight class at a regional power lifting meet, but he probably out-benches most of the guys in his gym.
Yes, everything you posted is very true and the ability of those athletes is impressive. 225x14 for someone thar regularly works out isn’t impressive but is good.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Name calling on an internet board. Awesome. Simply because you posted a dumbass comment and I question it, I'm an "angry lesbian that wants to argue about everything." It's a discussion board. That's literally why most of us are here.

As far as finding another forum... I'm sorry, is this your personal forum? Are you running things now?? I've been a member here since 2004, junior. So f*ck off with sh*t.
lol, what the fvck are you going to do pencil neck? Go scissor somewhere else dyke 😂

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
lol, what the fvck are you going to do pencil neck? Go scissor somewhere else dyke 😂
What are you 12? Do you troll everyone that disagrees when you post something stupid, or am I getting special treatment?

I'm sure the OP appreciates all of your useful input in this thread.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What are you 12? Do you troll everyone that disagrees when you post something stupid, or am I getting special treatment?

I'm sure the OP appreciates all of your useful input in this thread.
So far it’s only you that been posting stupid sh*t and since you been so busy debating everyone it haven’t been a chance for anyone to post anything useful. Now, pls go back to whatever debate forum you snowflakes cry on.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
So far it’s only you that been posting stupid sh*t and since you been so busy debating everyone it haven’t been a chance for anyone to post anything useful. Now, pls go back to whatever debate forum you snowflakes cry on.
Everything I have posted in this thread has been meant to contribute to the subject, besides defending against your childish insults. I don't think you understand the point of a forum. You are supposed to discuss and debate. People disagree. You tried to defend your initial post against statements I did not say, then started throwing insults like a child. You are obviously not reading everything I am writing. My intent was never to attack you, though I disagreed with your statement, because your post seemed to state something (that I was not the only one that read it that way) that was categorically wrong, and I and another member pointed it out.

If you would have just said something like, "What I meant was this.." or something it'd be all good we'd be posting in a different thread or something now. But instead you got defensive and cocky, and felt like you could tell me whether I can post my opinion in this forum like it's yours or something. I got 12 years in this forum on you, you don't get to tell me shyt about what forum I should use. I was here when the members were sponsoring this site. The name of this forum is AnabolicMinds, where the motto is (or at least used to be) "Teach. Learn. Lead." Perhaps that was before your time... But if you're going to throw a fit every time someone disagrees with you, "I bet you can find better forums for your needs elsewhere."

And the guy that doesn't have an avatar in a bodybuilding/fitness forum after almost 5 years doesn't get to call me pencil neck.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Everything I have posted in this thread has been meant to contribute to the subject, besides defending against your childish insults. I don't think you understand the point of a forum. You are supposed to discuss and debate. People disagree. You tried to defend your initial post against statements I did not say, then started throwing insults like a child. You are obviously not reading everything I am writing. My intent was never to attack you, though I disagreed with your statement, because your post seemed to state something (that I was not the only one that read it that way) that was categorically wrong, and I and another member pointed it out.

If you would have just said something like, "What I meant was this.." or something it'd be all good we'd be posting in a different thread or something now. But instead you got defensive and cocky, and felt like you could tell me whether I can post my opinion in this forum like it's yours or something. I got 12 years in this forum on you, you don't get to tell me shyt about what forum I should use. I was here when the members were sponsoring this site. The name of this forum is AnabolicMinds, where the motto is (or at least used to be) "Teach. Learn. Lead." Perhaps that was before your time... But if you're going to throw a fit every time someone disagrees with you, "I bet you can find better forums for your needs elsewhere."

And the guy that doesn't have an avatar in a bodybuilding/fitness forum after almost 5 years doesn't get to call me pencil neck.
Whatever you say snowflake, you keep on proving my point that you are in fact a angry lesbian that just want to debate just for the sake of debating. It’s unfortunate for everyone here that you been here so long, pls do everyone a favor and show yourself out and find a dyke forum that fits your needs for debating instead pencil neck.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Would you consider it impressive/strong? Bodyweight of 228lbs to 230lbs
Impressive by general public standards then yes absolutely. Most non gym goer ppl can not bench there own bodyweight 1x.

Impressive by strength standards for lifters, no it's not. It's not terrible by any means, it's ok. The bench press is my best lift, when I was 225lbs I could get 245 for 16 reps, now at 191 lbs I'm not as strong but I got 225 for 18 a few weeks ago. Not perfect form, just banging out reps.

Anyway this is all irrelevant. The only person you need to be better then is yourself. Keep at it and you can only get better

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Whatever you say snowflake, you keep on proving my point that you are in fact a angry lesbian that just want to debate just for the sake of debating. It’s unfortunate for everyone here that you been here so long, pls do everyone a favor and show yourself out and find a dyke forum that fits your needs for debating instead pencil neck.
All hail the internet king!!

You’re right.

IMG_9634.JPG

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
All hail the internet king!!

You’re right.

View attachment 207195
lol, now I know why you got so sensitive with my first post, you’re a fat little lesbian with a butch haircut that can’t lift close to that weight and when I proved that a high schooler was a lot stronger than you you got mad a called him a “mutant”, sorry, the truth hurts pencil neck but you’re just weak.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
lol, now I know why you got so sensitive with my first post, you’re a fat little lesbian with a butch haircut that can’t lift close to that weight and when I proved that a high schooler was a lot stronger than you you got mad a called him a “mutant”, sorry, the truth hurts pencil neck but you’re just weak.
You're right.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Already assumed that since you are posting on an internet board. Care to clarify "225 plates at 228 LBS OF BODY WEIGHT is not a good lift. It’s okay" since no one else was talking about 225x1? Perhaps I misunderstood.
I don’t know what’s all the argument about lol and why you’re bringing a chart of average lifts.. this is a bodybuilding forum so we don’t really associate with "average everyday jo". There’s not really a debate 225 for a set of 12-14 is NOT impressive. Is it a decent lift? Yes.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I don’t know what’s all the argument about lol and why you’re bringing a chart of average lifts.. this is a bodybuilding forum so we don’t really associate with "average everyday jo". There’s not really a debate 225 for a set of 12-14 is NOT impressive. Is it a decent lift? Yes.
The chart was about the "but it’s high schoolers that do 20+" comment. I don't recall mentioning "average everyday jo," aside from saying he may out lift most of the guys at his own gym (depending on where you go I suppose). It was a chart of high school power lifters' averages that showed only the bigger weight classes (265lbs and up) of 18 year olds averaged around a 300lb 1RM, which is probably about 10 reps of 225lbs. Just saying I don't think there are that many high schoolers pushing 20+ reps of 225.

I agree with what you are saying here for the most part, and pretty much said the same thing in another post. Basically it's not going to win a power lifting event, but it's a good lift, or something to that effect. But it is a debate depending on who's standard you use. Maybe you personally throw up 275 for 14 reps, so it's not too impressive to you. And I get that. Depending on his age, ACSM strength standards may see his lift (according to calculated 1RM) as somewhere near "Advanced." Best I did w/225 was x19 a few years ago at a bodyweight of like 230 or 240 (6ft tall), but unfortunately I don't think I will replicate that again at this point in my life. I'm not a power lifter by any means, but I was proud of it. Maybe you can do 25 and my lift may not impress you and that's fine, but you're probably not the average bodybuilder on this forum (not including people's "Internet stats"), as there's a wide range of sizes and strengths here. Maybe I'm way off, who knows...

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

I understand your points and I don’t disagree... what made me go meh is the fact he’s 228 lbs mostly

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I had a friend in high school who’s cousin’s father knew a guy who benched 585x14…I think he was natural and had only lifted weights one time too…

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I had a friend in high school who’s cousin’s father knew a guy who benched 585x14…I think he was natural and had only lifted weights one time too…
I think I knew him, he was raw dogging miss universe at the same time I recall……