Is Anterior Pelvic Tilt the Root of All Evil?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

Over years of lifting, my bench is strong.

But, I can barely nowhere near a parallel squat (without anabolic assistance).

My hamstrings were always so tight that I cannot do deadlifts or powercleans.

1. I have been learning more about fixing anterior and lateral pelvic tilt. It seems like that is the root cause of my weak abs, weak glutes, hamstring tightness, etc.

2. Any advice? Right now, I am just watching popular videos, and doing them before/during/after lifting.

3. The worst part of me has always been super-tight hamstrings. For over 20 years, they inhibited the development of my entire physique.

Julianbee

Julianbee

Awards
Been there before and it’s not fun. My anterior tilt resulted in me straining my hamstrings very easily during a deadlift or a leg curl.

What helped me is stretching my low back (happy baby stretch), my hip flexors(lunge/warrior stretch), and my adductors(frog stretch).

I can’t say for sure that those things will help you, but that’s what worked for me.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I bet your quads are full of adhesions. And your TFL and IT bands are tighter than fk. Simply roll the living fk (I mean deep) out of your quads, abductors, IT band and TFL - plus stretching the TFL can have a radical affect on correcting your pelvic tilt. All the pelvic tilt exercises in the world won't stick for more than a few minutes if this stuff is not corrected. 56 year old active powerlifter here. I use solid PVC plumbing pipe for rolling. Its the only thing that really gets deep. However, conventional rollers can have quite an affect. I suggest rolling these areas everyday for two weeks and then a few times a week forever. Look up TFL stretches on you tube. This will settle down your hams and glutes as well and take pressure off - well everything else.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. Can you recommend any specific equipment or videos I can buy?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Serious question since you seem to appear every few months with these questions, do you actually implement things people have answered for you in the past or just like move on to the next thing? Seems like every time you have a question it is something that supposedly is the thing that has held you back forever.

I can't help but answer though since I feel even if it doesn't help you someone might find the answers useful.

Other advice from posters above me is good too but just for potential thinking project:

1) Maybe you have it backwards, maybe you have anterior pelvic tilt because your abs, glutes and hamstrings are weak not the other way around.
2) Maybe your hamstrings are just super weak and not that tight, but just feel restricted due to this.

If you can't get in good positions then you may just need so stretching and mobility work too, but I see this a lot people will tell me they are so "tight" etc etc etc, but really they are just weak or haven't learned to use proper form on some things.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.

In my case, I feel I have put in a good amount of time and effort in gym, diet, and finding the best info. But, my results do not measure up.

I would give a lot of money to always do a squat beyond parallel, do deadlifts without rounding my back, or get results I feel I have earned.

Sorry to ask questions but seem like we are not getting anywhere. I am just trying to understand the root causes of my physical problems.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
I am using Jeremy Ethier's stretches, and combining them with reciprocal exercises:

1. Rotating lunge stretch (3 * 10 seconds, going deeper each time), superset with Jump Squats (Squeezing Glutes all the way down).

2. Rectus Femorous Stretch, Superset with jumping Romanian deadlift (squeezing glutes all the way down, jumping up)

I just went for a one-hour walk, and found my stride is so much more symmetrical:

"Stretch the (root cause) tight muscles, strengthen the weak reciprocal muscles"

Any other advice?