Is a test booster the right supplement for me to finally grow?

Mythh

Awards
First off, here is some background information. 21 year old male, 6'0, and 160 pounds.
I used to be even skinnier when I fluctuated between 138-147 pounds. Just recently I started taking training very seriously,(as far as lifting goes, I mainly did body weight exercises when I used to box before) and have been following the fierce 5 novice routine on bodybuilding for the past 3 months, and although I have gained a little weight, I do not look any bigger? I'm also currently taking bsn's true mass gainer, in hopes that it will actually help me put on some more mass.

So, my problem here is that everything I've tried so far doesn't really seem to help my cause. Now i'm at the point where i'm thinking I'm actually going to need something more than just food to see some real muscle mass come in, and was thinking about a test booster. Specifically I've been looking at fightlabs pride with the anabolic support. Would this be the right product for me so early on given my inexperience? I'm not sure if this will help but here are some old pics of me when I used to box (i weighed around 141-147 here since this was my normal weight, and also the weight class i competed in)
FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Now for the more updated pics of what I currently look like.. (for some reason, I think I actually look smaller in person compared to these photos)

IMG_4017.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

I know it's a lot of pics but I feel it would be more helpful to you great ones with all that wisdom, to better understand the patheticness of my body, to be able to know what needs adjusting lol. Also just curious, but would I be considered to have some minor man boobs? When looking at the side angle, it looks like my lower chest area pops out too much, not sure if it's gyno, or from being skinny fat, OR do I just have big puffy nipples? lol. First time poster here in this awesome community. I'm sure you're all tired of seeing these newbie posts but the help and advice is greatly appreciated, thank you! Sorry for the img clutter, for some reason I can't get the spoiler tag to work...

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You need to learn how to eat. A test booster isn't going to help you gain mass. If you aren't growing it's because you aren't eating or training right. You need to count your calories and find out your maintenance amount and eat more than that.

Mythh

Awards
Got it, the only problem is i'm currently eating 2800-3000 cals daily, which is apparently my recommended intake for a bulk, and i've just been following the fierce 5 routine, so i'm not exactly sure whats going on with me. I mean, my strength has been going up, but i'm just not growing?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got it, the only problem is i'm currently eating 2800-3000 cals daily, which is apparently my recommended intake for a bulk, and i've just been following the fierce 5 routine, so i'm not exactly sure whats going on with me. I mean, my strength has been going up, but i'm just not growing?
Everyone is different -and calculators for calories don't work for everybody.
Keep upping cals until you get a bit fat, then you will know how much is too much.
The "bulking bread" is an awesome tool to achieve your goal, it is unbelievable dense in cals.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You look exactly like my son looked a year ago! He still eats the "bulking bread" daily ( he makes it) and now looks like that:

pose.jpg

Mythh

Awards
Wow, if he went from my body to that in only a year that's pretty amazing. What sort of routine was he on? Also, what exactly is "the bulking bread"?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^ i'd check the above link out and use google as your friend like mentioned above. You should be able to find a lot of info.

mn72661

Awards
The fierce 5 is a strength based program that, assuming youre still making gains as youve said, I would ride out until you start consistently stalling. As stated above, german volume training would the perfect "deload" (although youll be working extremely hard) that would have you doing the same basic movements youve been doing, only in a better hypertrophy rep range.

At 21 you should NOT need a natural test booster, and certainly not a PH, as i think even a natural booster could potentially even be counter productive (im speaking from experience). The next time you go to the doctor ask for a blood test measuring your testosterone, this SHOULD be easy to get and dont let them talk you out of it as "unnecessary" if they try. That would tell you if a test booster is necessary, although there are some caveats to that as well. However.........there about a dozen other supplements i'd recommend before a test booster unless you're actually deficient (hence the blood test).

To better assess, we would have to see a lay out of your diet EG what you're eating and when not just total cals. The first 3 months and frankly youre still enjoying the neurological gains, hence why youre still getting stronger. Assuming your diet is on point that routine should easily last you another 3 months and my guess is assuming food is on point youll start seeing some solid gains during that time.......then the GVT and a change in rep range would be EVEN MORE productive.

Long story short: Post your diet

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
At your current state, I would just look into protein powder, a good multi, fish oil, pre workout (if needed) and a creatine/ergogenic aid like PowerMax XT. Like everyone else said, you need to eat more. Try to make your own mass gainer for extra calories and make sure you find a routine you like and follow it. Work on compound lifts with some isolations. Don't forget, this also takes time. You said your strength has gone up, so you probably have put on some muscle. I personally think it takes a longer time to see the development of the muscle versus the strength gains in the gym. Also, you see yourself in the mirror everyday, so of course, progress will look slow to you. I bet if you did what you're doing for six months and did not see a friend during that time and then met them six months later, they would see more dramatic results than you.

Whenever I see someone, daily, who is dieting, I do not notice changes until the very end of their cut. However, if I do not see that person for 4-6 weeks, I see a dramatic improvement and they think they have not made a change. Point being, it is very hard to see change in ourselves and others when we see them constantly. Just keep at it, you're young.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Everyone here nailed it. If you're not gaining, you need to add food. Its physics. Nobody is immune to the laws of physics haha. Whatever cals you're eating now, double them. If you cant physically stomach that much food, get as close as you can. Add oils and fats to everything, drink as many cals as you can, etc. Dont be afraid to have some "dirty" foods to help too.

You're in the prime of your muscle building age and clearly have a raging metabolism so put that all to good use and EAT LIFT EAT SLEEP EAT EAT EAT...

jonnyroyal86

Awards
I'm a hard gainer to, I know what you're going through. I'm 5'9, 210lbs now. When I was 21, I was a rail at 155lbs. I'm 48 now and the biggest I've been was 230lbs I was 35 and that was with lots of food, heavy lifting, and lots of sleep and the help of science haha. Look at your genes, that has a lot to do with your body type. Don't mess with any anabolic or PH stuff, you're to young n still have test in you. Test levels drop around age 25. I was 35 when I did my first cycle. You can't rush for results, this is a life style. Eat lots, sleep lots, lift heavy, n be patient. Do your research on supplements, find what works for you. I put on decent size n weight with Animal products, this was back in the late 90's. The guys on here have good advice, it's human science. Be patient, you'll find a formula that works. Good luck n keep pushing. ����

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just to reiterate what a few other people have said, calorie calculators are just estimates. They don't account for individual differences, and can only estimate things like activity level and lean mass versus fat. Your best bet is to track your intake against your weight. If you don't gain weight, then increase calories. Still don't gain weight, increase them even more. If you gain weight too quickly, pull back a bit.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I think at your age, unless your test is naturally low, you won't benefit much from a test booster. I think the main problem comes down to eating as everyone has said. I think you should track what you eat for a couple of weeks. If you are making solid gains, keep it up until it slows down. If you aren't gaining weight, or even losing weight, then you will know that amount of calories isn't going to get it done. There are a ton of products from SNS such as X-Gels, creatine, betaine that can help with your goals, but until you get your diet sorted out, you would be wasting money.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm a hard gainer to, I know what you're going through. I'm 5'9, 210lbs now. When I was 21, I was a rail at 155lbs. I'm 48 now and the biggest I've been was 230lbs I was 35 and that was with lots of food, heavy lifting, and lots of sleep and the help of science haha. Look at your genes, that has a lot to do with your body type. Don't mess with any anabolic or PH stuff, you're to young n still have test in you. Test levels drop around age 25. I was 35 when I did my first cycle. You can't rush for results, this is a life style. Eat lots, sleep lots, lift heavy, n be patient. Do your research on supplements, find what works for you. I put on decent size n weight with Animal products, this was back in the late 90's. The guys on here have good advice, it's human science. Be patient, you'll find a formula that works. Good luck n keep pushing. ����
good post-you should post more often!!!

jonnyroyal86

Awards
Thanks I'm speaking from experience. I enjoy reading about nutrition, lifting n diet. Would post more, but between fam wife, 3yr old daughter n 3 month old son plus work n gym I barely have time to myself. I wouldn't want it any other way. ����

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Honestly at your height for be around 220 with no issues. Keep working hard and remember food is your friend. No sugar and sweets, good complex carbs and quality protein sources. Eat your first meal as early as possible in the day and eat another meal every time you get hungry, no snacks, you don't need shakes, you need food brother. Good luck

Mythh

Awards
After reading all the replies, I just want to say wow, and thank you for all the great information. I guess i'm just still not eating enough is what it comes down to. It even got to the point where I thought it was my routine because I never feel sore after my workouts besides my legs lol. But again, I guess it's just simply not eating enough. Since i'm constantly on the move, I think I'm just going to have to start taking more scoops of my weight gainer to meet my cals lol.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
.... I think I'm just going to have to start taking more scoops of my weight gainer to meet my cals lol.
Eeeeee (Buzzer sound)
Wrong! Real food, especially OATS !

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
You should check out team juggernaut and see if those guys can help you. Proper training and diet is key and supplements only help!

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Real food > Powders

If you're not lactose intolerant, get some whole milk. Preferably organic. Drink the **** out of that. Few Tbls of peanut butter with each glass, and you'll get your calories in no time.

That's maybe not the most advisable diet advice, but it'll get your growing. While you do this, start researching proper diet non stop, and adjust yours to be as healthy as possible, while still matching your calorie needs. Diets are very individual specific, so expect a good deal of trial and error.

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
So, the answer is "NO" a test booster will likely have ZERO effect on your growth and you should jump on a PH (with a test boosting AGENT) or just find something anabolic on it's own like Laxogenin.

Mythh

Awards
I am pretty good with eating real foods, but downing those weight gainers help out a ton when i'm constantly on the move throughout the week. This is basically what my diet looks like...

Breakfast :
3/4 cup of muslie oatmeal - 315 cals (9g fat, 51g carbs, 12g protein)
1 cup of reduced fat milk - 140 cals (5g fat, 14g carbs, 10g protein)
2 scoops of BSN true mass - 473 cals (11.3g fat, 60g carb, 33.3g protein)

Meal 1 :
3 whole eggs - 210 cals (15g fat, 0g carbs, 18g protein)
2 egg whites - 36 cals (0.2g fat, 0.4g carbs, 7.2g protein)
3 slices of "12 grain bread" - 330 cals (6g fat, 60g carbs, 12g protein)
I also usually throw in a few slices of cheddar cheese that I never log, I also use olive oil when cooking my eggs

Meal 2 :
8oz chicken breast - 200 cals (5g fat, 0g carbs, 40g protein)
0.5 cup of hinode brown rice - 340 cals (3g fat, 72g carbs, 8g protein)
usually eat with some vegetables that I don't log either..

Final Meal : This one is random but consists of another easy 500 - 700 cals
Either 8oz tri-tip or some other beef with rice and some veggies OR some spaghetti and pasta, OR 2 turkey burgers on the same bread that I eat with my eggs. Also could be some ground turkey with some beans and potatoes thrown in there. It's usually one of these meals, and all are easy cals with a lot of protein also.

Snacks -
Usually some more slices of bread that comes up to a total of 5-6 slices at the end of the day (that's including the slices with my eggs).

Bedtime -
2 more scoops of BSN true mass - 473 cals (macros were listed earlier)

Well, that's basically what I eat on the daily basis, any suggestions? Preferably easy ones that don't take that much time to prepare? lol Thanks!

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well for one, use whole milk and more of it, use the whole egg and not egg whites, eat your chicken and rice in a couple tortillas with some cheese, use two seperate buns with cheese for your turkey burgers or use 80/20 beef.

That can easily add up to an extra 1,000 calories a day.

Mythh

Awards
Got it, thanks! Does it really matter all that much if I go over my macros a bit when it comes to bulking? Because I'm finding it hard to try to consume 3,000 - 3,500 calories a day with keeping my macros in line. I've been noticing I have to go past the 350-400g of carbs benchmark to hit the calories I need, and that also applies to going over the 160g of protein and 100g of fat. Also, judging from my side picture, would I be considered to have gyno, or is that just a combination of skinny fat and not having a developed chest? because it bugs the hell out of me how the lower portion of my chest pops out more and it makes me sort of look like I have man boobs? lol

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Got it, thanks! Does it really matter all that much if I go over my macros a bit when it comes to bulking? Because I'm finding it hard to try to consume 3,000 - 3,500 calories a day with keeping my macros in line. I've been noticing I have to go past the 350-400g of carbs benchmark to hit the calories I need, and that also applies to going over the 160g of protein and 100g of fat. Also, judging from my side picture, would I be considered to have gyno, or is that just a combination of skinny fat and not having a developed chest? because it bugs the hell out of me how the lower portion of my chest pops out more and it makes me sort of look like I have man boobs? lol
It doesn't look like gyno to me.

As far as macros, I don't count specific macros when bulking. I make sure I get enough protein mainly, then just fill the rest of my calories in with however many fats and carbs.

When I'm cutting I will focus a bit more on macros, but still I don't get too serious with it. I'll manipulate carbs depending on how I'm feeling or looking, and make sure I have enough fats for hormones.

mn72661

Awards
High potency fish oil easy fat calories and just overall Omega 3 balance and health. Creatine monohydrate is your friend, especially on your lifting routine. With that high carb intake I'd also look at some insulin "sensitizing" shops/glucose disposal agents.