Interesting Study on Blood Flow Restriction Training

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
The influence of exercise load with and without different levels of blood flow restriction on acute changes in muscle thickness and lactate

The aim of this study was to compare exercise with and without different degrees of blood flow restriction (BFR) on acute changes in muscle thickness (MTH) and whole blood lactate (WBL). Forty participants were assigned to Experiment 1, 2 or 3. Each experiment completed protocols differing by pressure, load and/or volume. MTH and WBL were measured pre and postexercise. The acute changes in MTH appear be maximized at 30% one repetition maximum (1RM) with BFR, although the difference between 20% 1RM and 30% 1RM at the lateral site was small (0·1 versus 0·2 cm, P = 0·09). Increasing the exercise load from 20% to 30% 1RM with BFR produces clear changes in WBL (3·7 versus 5·5 mmol l−1, P<0·001). The acute changes in MTH and WBL for 30% 1RM in combination with BFR were similar to that observed with 70% 1RM and 20 and 30% to failure, albeit at a lower exercise volume. These findings may have implications for designing future studies as it suggest that exercise load (to a point) may have a greater influence on acute changes in MTH and metabolic accumulation than the applied relative pressure.

The influence of exercise load with and without different levels of blood flow restriction on acute changes in muscle thickness and lactate - Loenneke - 2016 - Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging - Wiley Online Library

mrgoomba

Awards
interesting. I tried occulation yesterday for bicep and tricep, just 1 exercise each doing 30,15,15,15 with 30 second rest intervals. For curls I did 15lbs and for tricep extensions did 40lb. Woke up today with some SERIOUS DOMS.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
interesting. I tried occulation yesterday for bicep and tricep, just 1 exercise each doing 30,15,15,15 with 30 second rest intervals. For curls I did 15lbs and for tricep extensions did 40lb. Woke up today with some SERIOUS DOMS.
Its definitely a tremendous variation to cause hypertrophy!

Cool. Thanks for posting this.
Not a problem!

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
First time I did BFR on biceps I had DOMS for 1.5 weeks..and I'm an experienced lifter

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
First time I did BFR on biceps I had DOMS for 1.5 weeks..and I'm an experienced lifter
Holy crap! A week and a half is excessive. Did you ever try it a second time and, if so, did you get the same effect?

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
Holy crap! A week and a half is excessive. Did you ever try it a second time and, if so, did you get the same effect?
I've done it again..biceps were normal sore..but I did calves that way for first time about week ago..calves still sore..maybe it's just the initial shock to the muscle or something..or I'm just delicate

big_lando

Awards
Wait. How do you restrict it. I feel like it kinda looks like a heroin junkie

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
On a tightness scale of 1-10. You want about a 7.. Restricting vein flow..not artery..then it's a tourniquet and that's dangerous

mrgoomba

Awards
Wait. How do you restrict it. I feel like it kinda looks like a heroin junkie
im using knee wraps. They say on a scale of 7/10. If I feel like it might be too tight, i loosen. Id op for too lose than too tight.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
You shouldn't lose feeling in limbs..otherwise too tight