Interesting DHEA Study

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have never seen this one before but it may give some insight into the neuro benefits of dhea usage.

Dehydroepiandrosterone upregulates neural androgen receptor level and transcriptional activity
Shi‐Fang Lu

Qianxing Mo

Shan Hu

Carrie Garippa

Neal G. Simon
First published: 06 October 2003

https://doi.org/10.1002/neu.10260
Citations: 40

PDFPDF
TOOLS

Abstract
The mechanism of action of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), a neuroactive neurosteroid synthesized in the brains of humans and other mammals, has not been fully characterized in the adult brain. Although well known for modulatory effects on GABAA, NMDA, and σ1 receptors, studies in both CNS and peripheral target cells suggest that DHEA also may exert genomic effects via the androgen receptor (AR). The current study tested the hypothesis that DHEA was capable of producing androgenic effects in the CNS by assaying its ability to induce three characteristic effects of an androgenic compound. These included the ability to upregulate neural AR protein level in mouse brain and immortalized GT1–7 hypothalamic cells, the capacity to induce transcriptional activity through AR in CV‐1 cells transfected with an MMTV‐ARE‐CAT reporter, and competition for recombinant AR binding in a radioligand binding assay. The results showed that DHEA treatment significantly augmented AR both in vivo and in vitro, and that this effect was not blocked by trilostane (TRIL), a known 3β‐hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3β‐HSD) inhibitor. DHEA also promoted AR‐mediated CAT reporter expression and competed with dihydrotestosterone (DHT) for binding to recombinant AR in a cell‐free system. These data indicate that DHEA possesses intrinsic androgenic activity that is potentially independent of metabolic conversion to other androgens, and that it can affect gene function through the AR. In combination with its modulation of neurotransmitter receptors at the cell membrane level, the findings suggest that the mechanism of action of DHEA in the brain can involve a “crosstalk” cellular signaling system that involves both nongenomic and genomic components. © 2003 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. J Neurobiol 57: 163–171, 2003

I figured this forum was an appropriate place as Iconic, to my knowledge, is the only company currently marketing a DHEA with this purpose in mind.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
dermacrine rocks, i'm using it now...thanks for posting @BCseacow83

JKVol

JKVol

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have never seen this one before but it may give some insight into the neuro benefits of dhea usage.

Dehydroepiandrosterone upregulates neural androgen receptor level and transcriptional activity
Shi‐Fang Lu

Qianxing Mo

Shan Hu

Carrie Garippa

Neal G. Simon
First published: 06 October 2003

https://doi.org/10.1002/neu.10260
Citations: 40

PDFPDF
TOOLS

Abstract
The mechanism of action of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), a neuroactive neurosteroid synthesized in the brains of humans and other mammals, has not been fully characterized in the adult brain. Although well known for modulatory effects on GABAA, NMDA, and σ1 receptors, studies in both CNS and peripheral target cells suggest that DHEA also may exert genomic effects via the androgen receptor (AR). The current study tested the hypothesis that DHEA was capable of producing androgenic effects in the CNS by assaying its ability to induce three characteristic effects of an androgenic compound. These included the ability to upregulate neural AR protein level in mouse brain and immortalized GT1–7 hypothalamic cells, the capacity to induce transcriptional activity through AR in CV‐1 cells transfected with an MMTV‐ARE‐CAT reporter, and competition for recombinant AR binding in a radioligand binding assay. The results showed that DHEA treatment significantly augmented AR both in vivo and in vitro, and that this effect was not blocked by trilostane (TRIL), a known 3β‐hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3β‐HSD) inhibitor. DHEA also promoted AR‐mediated CAT reporter expression and competed with dihydrotestosterone (DHT) for binding to recombinant AR in a cell‐free system. These data indicate that DHEA possesses intrinsic androgenic activity that is potentially independent of metabolic conversion to other androgens, and that it can affect gene function through the AR. In combination with its modulation of neurotransmitter receptors at the cell membrane level, the findings suggest that the mechanism of action of DHEA in the brain can involve a “crosstalk” cellular signaling system that involves both nongenomic and genomic components. 2003 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. J Neurobiol 57: 163–171, 2003

I figured this forum was an appropriate place as Iconic, to my knowledge, is the only company currently marketing a DHEA with this purpose in mind.
Talk to me like I’m in the 5th grade

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Talk to me like I’m in the 5th grade
"DHEA possesses intrinsic androgenic activity that is potentially independent of metabolic conversion to other androgens, and that it can affect gene function through the AR."

So independent of conversion to other hormones and metabolites, DHEA possesses androgenic activity in the brain.

"In combination with its modulation of neurotransmitter receptors at the cell membrane level, the findings suggest that the mechanism of action of DHEA in the brain can involve a “crosstalk” cellular signaling system that involves both nongenomic and genomic components."

Translation: Chit works in your brain, good stuff.

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Is DHEA on its own suppressive? Could a 35 year old man not on TRT use it daily with no issues?

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Is DHEA on its own suppressive? Could a 35 year old man not on TRT use it daily with no issues?
Assuming healthy in all other ways I personally would see no issue as long as reasonable doses are used. I would for instance not take 500-1000mg oral per day longterm, nor would I push the TD dose past, for me personally 12-50mg/day.

If you are concerned you can always get pre-lab work and add it in. Retest 8 weeks later.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Assuming healthy in all other ways I personally would see no issue as long as reasonable doses are used. I would for instance not take 500-1000mg oral per day longterm, nor would I push the TD dose past, for me personally 12-50mg/day.

If you are concerned you can always get pre-lab work and add it in. Retest 8 weeks later.
personally i have used dermacrine at 4 pumps daily for over 6 months without interuption....but if using on a continuos basis i think 2 pumps would be very doable and make the dermacrine very cost effective...with dermacrine you get dhea/preg and low dosed natural AI to counter excessive conversion to estrogen, some conversion to estrogen is actually healthy and good.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
personally i have used dermacrine at 4 pumps daily for over 6 months without interuption....but if using on a continuos basis i think 2 pumps would be very doable and make the dermacrine very cost effective...with dermacrine you get dhea/preg and low dosed natural AI to counter excessive conversion to estrogen, some conversion to estrogen is actually healthy and good.
I agree. I always hesitate to give guarantees when people ask if something is safe. People can die from eating say a peanut but for most they are, "safe."

I personally would feel very comfortable using it long-term as long as the dose is dialed in.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
DHEA is such a strange horomone/chemical in the body as there is so little concrete on it. It works different in everyone it seems. I agree you really have to watch the estro on it sometimes and it can really fluctuate quickly as well as with all the other downstream mechanisms it interacts with which are major physiological components in the body. Very very difficult supplement to get right if needed.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
DHEA is such a strange horomone/chemical in the body as there is so little concrete on it. It works different in everyone it seems. I agree you really have to watch the estro on it sometimes and it can really fluctuate quickly as well as with all the other downstream mechanisms it interacts with which are major physiological components in the body. Very very difficult supplement to get right if needed.
transdermal!!!