Instant potatoes

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You know like the ones that come powdered and you just boil water and throw the mix in and whip it up and you got tasty mashed potatoes in like one minute...Yeah, I been eating those. BY THE ASSLOAD! I'm addicted. So cheap, so easy.....Am I killing myself slowly or what? Thoughts? Opinions? Gracias :)

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Doubt you're killing yourself but there's a lot of additives in them. Better to just use whole real potato

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doubt you're killing yourself but there's a lot of additives in them. Better to just use whole real potato
The ingredients is literally 30 different things I can't pronounce

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The ingredients is literally 30 different things I can't pronounce
That is one issue.

I would also say they are not cost effective as a large bag of white, red, sweet, or any other type of potato. If timing, in terms of prep is an issue, buy a rice cooker with a steaming basket. You can cook a bunch or potatoes at a time. If you liked them mashed, just over cook them and then they will become extremely soft and you can mash them up whenever you decide to eat them. Keep them in your fridge in an air tight container and they will last a long time. I like this option because you save time by not cooking. You can do whatever else you need to in your household for 45 minutes or so. Not to mention, you can use the steamer for veggies and you'll have a rice cooker as well.

jpadworski

Awards
You know like the ones that come powdered and you just boil water and throw the mix in and whip it up and you got tasty mashed potatoes in like one minute...Yeah, I been eating those. BY THE ASSLOAD! I'm addicted. So cheap, so easy.....Am I killing myself slowly or what? Thoughts? Opinions? Gracias :)
Real potatoes are pretty cheap but from what I know the instant potatoes are just dehydrated, ground up, and filled with preservatives. I eat them from time to time too cause you can't get that flavor if you make them from scratch.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
With instant potatoes you're saving yourself what? 30 mins total?

All you need for REAL potatoes is A. WATER, B. Potatoes. Boil the water, cube the potatoes, boil them for 20 min, throw them in a bowl and MASH away

Easy, cheap and you don't have any "extras" being added as in preservatives