Inguinal Hernia surgery - recovery advice?

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
Going under the knife tomorrow, well, under the 'scope', getting laproscopic repair for a unilateral inguinal hernia, its not that big, but its there and its annoyed me to the point of not goign to the gym for 8 weeks, so Im looking forward to being fixed, and working back into the weights.

Doctor said I can be back at work (desk jockey) in 3-4 days post-op, but not to lift anything over 10lbs for 1-2 weeks...Im planning on walking as much as I can the first week after surgery, and then doing push ups and (very slow) body weight squats (not going to push anything to far too fast).

Anyone have this done? Im finding 8-10 weeks for returning to pre-injury weights is the consensus? any tips? advice?

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
100 views...no replies...so I'll let you know how week one went:Fear prevented me from coughing, sneezing, or laughing :)Fear prevented me from taking a dump for 3 days...By the end of week one, I can walk with a slight 'drag' of the tender side, can cough and sneeze softly...can pick up my 30lb daughter carefully.The 'patch' hurts, but its that its healing, and it gets tight, and as I walk it probably breaking up internal scabs / scar tissue. Only of of the 3 incisions hurts, the biggest one next to my belly button burns like a mother if I move the wrong way. Sitting up from a recline is hell.Can't imagine lifting yet. Will update in a week.

H

HomeWorkouts

Awards
keep it up

Looks like you've got a good plan, and it's been working out for ya. I would definitely take it slow, and when you finally do decide to use heavier weights use several warmup sets with progressively heavier weights.

darsh89

darsh89

Awards
i had this done about 8 years ago. I was running by day 3 and lifting by day 5. Felt 100% in the gym at day 10. everyones recovery is different tho

T

Tboz

Banned
Awards
I had a hiatial hernia surgery few months ago... i was in hospital 1 day and alot better 3-4 days later... I stayed off lifting for awhile.. i had to wait to stomach healed and for incesions to be healed.. Iam way better then before.. just make sure you stay off long enough to heal and slowly ease back into it. dont overdo it to quick or u might b back out again.