ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why does what bother me?

"There is some irony in saying that gun ownership is a god given right and cannot be taken away by man, in lieu of the fact that these documents were written by.... MEN
."

Whats the big deal if someone is religious and feel rights are given by a god? Does that bother you? If not what is your purpose of that post?

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting. So you've posted none of your own thoughts in this thread?
And here I thought you were in the business of inferring. I've stated my points many times over. You still have access to guns...(there it is in a nutshell)

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
Lol. So who created/crafted the bill of rights? If not by governmental figures. Who crafted the Constitution? Was it not men who worked in various areas of governance? Oh I forgot ...it's the "creator."
cheeky sarcastic bastard lol

and yes even though it was men that crafted the bill, but the bill they crafted was to limit its powers. if that was the case why did they choose to use words like "the government SHALL NOT infringe...."? why wouldnt they say "the governments GIVES these rights?

it was to protect the rights of the individual citizens from future tyrants that could potentially take power later down the road and want to remove these rights from the citizens. they were smart enough to understand that what the "government giveth, the government can take away" but if the government doesnt give rights, they cant remove those rights.

bottom line is, the rights are there and they wont be taken away by anybody, the american people wont allow it, and the consitution doesnt allow it. no matter how much you or jefferson or obama bitches about it. If you dont like it, move to a country where freedoms and liberties are privelages and not rights.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And here I thought you were in the business of inferring. I've stated my points many times over. You still have access to guns...(there it is in a nutshell)
Thats not true, not everybody (and more importantly law abiding citizens) have access to guns, look at post #7 for a real example in this thread.

Is there "freedom of the press" if a reporters editor selectively censors certain articles and topics?

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

"There is some irony in saying that gun ownership is a god given right and cannot be taken away by man, in lieu of the fact that these documents were written by.... MEN
."

Whats the big deal if someone is religious and feel rights are given by a god? Does that bother you? If not what is your purpose of that post?
You're inferring again. It has nothing to do with me. I'm not that self involved. I could care less one way or the other what someone believes. I'm not here to interpret. The fact is, the Constitution makes no mention whatsoever about GOD. Fact. Not opinion.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bottom line is, the rights are there and they wont be taken away by anybody, the american people wont allow it, and the consitution doesnt allow it. no matter how much you or jefferson or obama bitches about it. If you dont like it, move to a country where freedoms and liberties are privelages and not rights.
The problem is they already have taken our rights away. For example, the NDAA act has officially by law stripped the 5th amendment.

Its one thing to follow the constitution, its another to preach it as a museum artifact.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
cheeky sarcastic bastard lol

and yes even though it was men that crafted the bill, but the bill they crafted was to limit its powers. if that was the case why did they choose to use words like "the government SHALL NOT infringe...."? why wouldnt they say "the governments GIVES these rights?

it was to protect the rights of the individual citizens from future tyrants that could potentially take power later down the road and want to remove these rights from the citizens. they were smart enough to understand that what the "government giveth, the government can take away" but if the government doesnt give rights, they cant remove those rights.

Okay here's my point, if the government does not OFFER rights to its people as you've stated above, then who drafted/offered the Bill of Rights?

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
Okay here's my point, if the government does not OFFER rights to its people as you've stated above, then who drafted/offered the Bill of Rights?
INALIENABLE rights are not OFFERED to any man, by any government.

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
rights are self evident, privelages are given. nobody decided these are rights and those privelages. and my point is if the government wanted to control rights or privelages why was the language used to limit what they can and cant take away?

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
rights are self evident, privelages are given. nobody decided these are rights and those privelages. and my point is if the government wanted to control rights or privelages why was the language used to limit what they can and cant take away?
Who wrote that text? "We hold these truths to be self-evident." <------Written by men in GOVERNMENT, NOT by some divine being.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're inferring again. It has nothing to do with me. I'm not that self involved. I could care less one way or the other what someone believes. I'm not here to interpret. The fact is, the Constitution makes no mention whatsoever about GOD. Fact. Not opinion.
Usually you would find that in the preamble, and in the religion clauses. The US constitution's preamble was based off of the model of the preamble in the Articles of Confederation which did not use the word "god." It began as Articles of the Confederation and started listing the 13 states....which later was dropped to be simpler as "We The People." In 1787, it was most likely unimaginable that radical secularists groups would spin it the way they have.

Anyways can carry on, and I know its debatable, but personally it doesnt matter to me.

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
Who wrote that text? "We hold these truths to be self-evident." <------Written by men NOT by some divine being.
i never argued that i was some divine being, the point im making is that government cant take these rights away, nomatter who wrote them, man or divine being

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Usually you would find that in the preamble, and in the religion clauses. The US constitution's preamble was based off of the model of the preamble in the Articles of Confederation which did not use the word "god." It began as Articles of the Confederation and started listing the 13 states....which later was dropped to be simpler as "We The People." In 1787, it was most likely unimaginable that radical secularists groups would spin it the way they have.

Anyways can carry on, and I both know its debatable, but personally it doesnt matter to me.
I already know the document's roots, as I've researched it at length so that I'm prepared. Lol.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i never argued that i was some divine being, the point im making is that government cant take these rights away, nomatter who wrote them, man or divine being
So essentially the government can write/propose law, but it CANNOT restrict them?

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
So essentially the government can write/propose law, but it CANNOT restrict them?
semantics much?

and thats what it says in the bill of rights isnt it? government SHALL NOT INFRINGE.
and theres a difference in law and rights...again...

law- dont kill people, its bad
right- to own guns and protect myself

law-dont steal, its bad
right- to have/create a job to support myself and those that i so chose

law-dont lie under oathe, its bad
right- to express my thoughts and opinions openly without fear of consequence or punishment

difference between law and right my friend. Government can write laws to protect its citizens and its citizens rights but it cannot pass legislation that removes my ability to exercise my right.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
restrict laws? or restrict freedoms?

government restricts freedom every time a new law is passed.
So your position (based on the statement above) is that as a country we SHOULD NOT be ruled/governed by law? That's your position?

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
So your position (based on the statement above) is that as a country we SHOULD NOT be ruled/governed by law? That's your position?
that is ridiculous.

I thought you weren't in the business of interpreting...

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
semantics much?

and thats what it says in the bill of rights isnt it? government SHALL NOT INFRINGE.
and theres a difference in law and rights...again...

law- dont kill people, its bad
right- to own guns and protect myself

law-dont steal, its bad
right- to have/create a job to support myself and those that i so chose

law-dont lie under oathe, its bad
right- to express my thoughts and opinions openly without fear of consequence or punishment

difference between law and right my friend. Government can write laws to protect its citizens and its citizens rights but it cannot pass legislation that removes my ability to exercise my right.
Fair enough, good response. Although, one could argue that we have a "right" to choose what we can or cannot do with our bodies? Yet, ROE V WADE contradicts that argument entirely. So it's not exactly a black and white argument, when you examine the context.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I'm not, thus why I framed it in the form of a question...
wether good or bad, to protect it's citizens, etc...

more laws = less freedom.

10 years ago you had the freedom to purchase ephedra...laws were passed, you now no longer have that freedom.

noone ever said we should live in complete anarchy.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
wether good or bad, to protect it's citizens, etc...

more laws = less freedom.

10 years ago you had the freedom to purchase ephedra...laws were passed, you now no longer have that freedom.

noone ever said we should live in complete anarchy.
For some, laws equate to having more freedom, i.e. dissolution of slavery, a woman's right to choose etc.

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
Fair enough, good response. Although, one could argue that we have a "right" to choose what we can or cannot do with our bodies? Yet, ROE V WADE contradicts that argument entirely. So it's not exactly a black and white argument, when you examine the context.
you can argue that! and thats why i dont support roe vs wade entirely. We do have a right to our bodies, but where do you draw the line? a woman does have the right to do with her body as she sees fit but at the same time does that baby not deserve to live because her mother and father made a mistake or is a product of misfortune? laws about abortion are extremly gray and open for interpretation and sadly i dont think there is a right or good solution to the problem.

and this was a good, healthy debate! i just wanna make sure that in any of my responses they were not ill mannered or attacking in anyway minus a few light-hearted name calling and smart ass responses. ;) just wanted to clear that up for anybody that might have thought me or southpaw had sandy vag syndrome

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
you can argue that! and thats why i dont support roe vs wade entirely. We do have a right to our bodies, but where do you draw the line? a woman does have the right to do with her body as she sees fit but at the same time does that baby not deserve to live because her mother and father made a mistake or is a product of misfortune? laws about abortion are extremly gray and open for interpretation and sadly i dont think there is a right or good solution to the problem.

and this was a good, healthy debate! i just wanna make sure that in any of my responses they were not ill mannered or attacking in anyway minus a few light-hearted name calling and smart ass responses. ;) just wanted to clear that up for anybody that might have thought me or southpaw had sandy vag syndrome
I respect your posts man. I know sometimes in here it can come across as quite the opposite. There's nothing wrong with a spirited debate. I never fire the first shot, it's only after someone fires at me, I take aim. Lol.

But the example here, that one has freedom over themselves and their property, and these freedoms are inalienable, contradict the opposition to allowing someone the right to make decisions regarding their own bodies. Someone brought up the ephedra ban as an overreach of law, but in the same breath supports a law that would seek to restrict a person's ability to make choices regarding their own bodies. Can you see the contradiction? Now if you argue that the Constitution makes no mention of god, or religion and you support it, then how can one then turn around and say that they don't support a woman's right to choose based on your religious beliefs. It doesn't make sense. You see my overall point?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interestingly the constitution is outdated but the writings from the same time period and same authors are apparently infallible.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He never said the ephedra ban was an overreach he said it restricted freedom as an example that all laws restrict freedom (because technically they do)

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interestingly the constitution is outdated but the writings from the same time period and same authors are apparently infallible.
No document should remain infallible and that's the point. I brought up those examples to show the mindset of one of the founders, at the time the Constitution was being drafted, nothing more, nothing less.

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
I respect your posts man. I know sometimes in here it can come across as quite the opposite. There's nothing wrong with a spirited debate. I never fire the first shot, it's only after someone fires at me, I take aim. Lol.

But the example here, that one has freedom over themselves and their property, and these freedoms are inalienable, contradict the opposition to allowing someone the right to make decisions regarding their own bodies. Someone brought up the ephedra ban as an over reach of law, but in the same breath supports a law that would seek to restrict a person's ability to make choices regarding their own bodies. Can you see the contradiction? Now if you argue that the Constitution makes no mention of god, or religion and you support it, then how can one then turn around and say that they don't support a woman's right to choose based on your religious beliefs. It doesn't make sense. You see my overall point?
i do see your overall point thats why i try and keep my religious believes seperate from law and my political beliefs...i personally believe that we all have our free agency and that even though i might religiously agree with a given premise, i dont let that cloud my judgement as to whether or not that issue should be law or not

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
He never said the ephedra ban was an overreach he said it restricted freedom as an example that all laws restrict freedom (because technically they do)
although by restricting one freedom it may open the door for many others....ie the case of slavery and womens suffrage specifically

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Laws passed dissolving slavery...limitation of freedom?

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For some, laws equate to having more freedom, i.e. dissolution of slavery, a woman's right to choose etc.
Laws (the newer ones) shouldnt be needed for those examples. Government's has a responsibility is to protect our "god given rights" (lol, or natural rights) that were already enforced (not sure if thats the right word there) in our Bill or Rights.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i do see your overall point thats why i try and keep my religious believes seperate from law and my political beliefs...i personally believe that we all have our free agency and that even though i might religiously agree with a given premise, i dont let that cloud my judgement as to whether or not that issue should be law or not
Awesome response.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
although by restricting one freedom it may open the door for many others....ie the case of slavery and womens suffrage specifically
I agree completely. I don't think anyone is arguing that.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I kind of disagree...You cant have a free society by having one "free" person suppress another. Any law created isnt to restrict anyone's freedom, its to enforce it.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
By the way, I do support the right for someone to own/purchase a firearm despite not being a fan of them myself. What I have no patience for is someone whose brain operates on another planet, thinking someone's out to get them, someone's coming to kidnap them in the middle of the night, someone who bases EVERYTHING off of conspiracies and uses poor sources to back up those claims. Other than that, I'm good. Lol.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I kind of disagree...You cant have a free society by having one "free" person suppress another. Any law created isnt to restrict anyone's freedom, its to enforce it.
edit...Cant...lol that looked so bad when I first noticed my error.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
By the way, I do support the right for someone to own/purchase a firearm despite not being a fan of them myself. What I have no patience for is someone whose brain operates on another planet, thinking someone's out to get them, someone's coming to kidnap them in the middle of the night, someone who bases EVERYTHING off of conspiracies and uses poor sources to back up those claims. Other than that, I'm good. Lol.
so, ax?

hahah kidding ax

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so, ax?

hahah kidding ax
I know he wasnt talking about me...but Ill be right back the feds are sticking camera's up my plumbing again, just saw a floater in my toilet again.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Abolishing slavery restricted the freedoms of slaveowners by taking what was, at the time, their property.

Now with that said, I completely agree that slavery was wrong and that abolishing it was in the beat interest of American citizens by allowing them to live with the same freedoms but it initially restricted one mans freedoms to allow another to have Freedom.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Abolishing slavery restricted the freedoms of slaveowners by taking what was, at the time, their property.

Now with that said, I completely agree that slavery was wrong and that abolishing it was in the beat interest of American citizens by allowing them to live with the same freedoms but it initially restricted one mans freedoms to allow another to have Freedom.
That interpretation is highly...Scalia-esque. Lol.