If or when you hit a wall what exactly do you do? No gains/stagnate gains, can't eat, the list could go on, what do you do?

~Vision~

~Vision~

Awards
In the event when you hit a wall what exactly do you do? stagnate gains, can't eat, the list could go on, what do you do?

Cross posted because I wanna hear what you solids have to say about this here in THIS community

As the title says "When you hit a wall what do you do? stagnate gains, can't, can't sleep or just lost your motivation...
What do YOU do to keep pressing forward during your most testing times?
Post your thoughts here...

Let's hear some feedback from our members in which they could share for other readers..
When you hit a wall head on...

1)What suggestions would you give to someone in the same circumstance...
2)To simplify things.. let's say the individual has at least two years on the grind with dieting and training..

Let's give the readers some feedback, tips, protocols and whatever else you can think of that could better assist people alike in this lifestyle of "self improvement"..

Your brutha from the grind,
Vision

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well, the symptoms sound a lot like overtraining to me. So, in that case... Find a way to get more sleep. Take a couple of rest days. Trim back overall work volume and employ reactive deload methods.

~Vision~

~Vision~

Awards
Well, the symptoms sound a lot like overtraining to me. So, in that case... Find a way to get more sleep. Take a couple of rest days. Trim back overall work volume and employ reactive deload methods.
This isn't about someone or a particular instances, just rather when we hit a wall in this lifestyle..
Everyone, somewhere hits a wall..

What do we do when we hit these walls??!?!

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This isn't about someone or a particular instances, just rather when we hit a wall in this lifestyle..
Everyone, somewhere hits a wall..

What do we do when we hit these walls??!?!
Well, those are things I do when hitting a wall, besides adding gear if It’s been a while. Sometimes I have trouble eating if I’m just straight sick of the food I’ve been eating, so I’ll change my meals up even if I have to get a bit dirty here and there to get appetite back up- but that’s a short term fix and I typically get back on plan quick.

Switching out a couple exercises can help but that’s mostly mental- though sometimes walls are very mental.

Last edited:
~Vision~

~Vision~

Awards
Well, those are things I do when hitting a wall, besides adding gear if It’s been a while. Sometimes I have trouble eating if I’m just straight sick of the food I’ve been eating, so I’ll change my meals up even if I have to get a bit dirty here and there to get appetite back up- but that’s a short term fix and I typically get back on plan quick.

Switching out a couple exercises can help but that’s mostly mental- though sometimes walls are very mental.
there we go.. thats the type of reply we need up in this topic.. keep'em coming..
Lets hear what everyone does..
Im right there with you on the brick wall with food.. I'm so programmed to eat one way Im so mechanical about it, but I do have my down days, and like you suggested about changing food,flavors color of meals, portion sizes and so on, just for mind over matter.. mentally it works. I'll eat in bowls, than switch to plates, and so on..

Ahh, Music, can't forget about adding new tunes and what not. I'll even put on tunes just while I eat to get in a zone.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
from a mindset perspective I look back at where I’ve come from (alcoholic, 322lbs, 50% BF) to remind myself why I do what I do now. I take some time to think about the benefits to my kids from daddy being healthier (yes I use aas but I optimise my health in every other way). That always helps to give some context and helps me see the lifestyle in a more positive light.

some specific changes

training location - I find changing where I train can do wonders if in a training rut

introduce a new training style (obviously changing from strength to hyperthropy focus can work as well but for me a new style works better), e.g bfr, super slow, negatives. I find a month of something like this (even as a bolt on to a normal session) works great

food - this is extreme but I actually did it for 3 months up to Dec last year......introduction of dietary restrictions (I went vegetarian). Now I love meat and will never be veggie or vegan, I did it purely to make myself think about food from scratch again. Literally I used to plan a meal by thinking about what meat I had and then putting some stuff with it, the change made me start again, look for recipes etc (I love food so have to eat well), really did get me back engaging in the kitchen and got me out of a food rut.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
When I first got serious about working out many moons ago, nobody that I personally knew worked harder, or was more dedicated than myself (seriously).

But what I came to realize, was that I wasn't giving enough recovery time or sleep time. And I knew very little about Cortisol control at the time. So I walked around VERY sore much of the time, and left Soo many gains on the table.

Everybody that looked at me was envious of my physic, but they had no idea how much I was missing out on.

By looking at others' past shortcomings, we can sometimes avoid those pitfalls ourselves.
:)

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
from a mindset perspective I look back at where I’ve come from (alcoholic, 322lbs, 50% BF) to remind myself why I do what I do now. I take some time to think about the benefits to my kids from daddy being healthier (yes I use aas but I optimise my health in every other way). That always helps to give some context and helps me see the lifestyle in a more positive light.

some specific changes

training location - I find changing where I train can do wonders if in a training rut

introduce a new training style (obviously changing from strength to hyperthropy focus can work as well but for me a new style works better), e.g bfr, super slow, negatives. I find a month of something like this (even as a bolt on to a normal session) works great

food - this is extreme but I actually did it for 3 months up to Dec last year......introduction of dietary restrictions (I went vegetarian). Now I love meat and will never be veggie or vegan, I did it purely to make myself think about food from scratch again. Literally I used to plan a meal by thinking about what meat I had and then putting some stuff with it, the change made me start again, look for recipes etc (I love food so have to eat well), really did get me back engaging in the kitchen and got me out of a food rut.
Hey I did not know about your past and all the life changes you managed to make. Just wanted to say congrats and keep going. I’m al alcoholic who’s been sober for almost 2 years now and I do know the struggle.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
there we go.. thats the type of reply we need up in this topic.. keep'em coming..
Lets hear what everyone does..
Im right there with you on the brick wall with food.. I'm so programmed to eat one way Im so mechanical about it, but I do have my down days, and like you suggested about changing food,flavors color of meals, portion sizes and so on, just for mind over matter.. mentally it works. I'll eat in bowls, than switch to plates, and so on..

Ahh, Music, can't forget about adding new tunes and what not. I'll even put on tunes just while I eat to get in a zone.
yes, music...I bought a pioneer amp, garrard turntable and bose 901 speakers at duty free store in naples Italy back in 78, I stored them at mom's house until 89 when I retuned from living in PI for 7 years and I have kept them in pristine condition also have over 200 classic rock vinyl albums from 70's....my home gym is in basement and when I put volume to 5 the whole house vibrates and windows shake...when my wife isn't home I like to play Kashmir at 7 and It feels like a earthquake...motivation like no other!!!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hey I did not know about your past and all the life changes you managed to make. Just wanted to say congrats and keep going. I’m al alcoholic who’s been sober for almost 2 years now and I do know the struggle.
thanks mate. And congrats on 2 years. One day at a day brother

Joshinator

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For me if my gains become stagnant, ill switch up my routine. Im always changing exercises every 4-6 weeks, but ill also have to change the rep ranges and tempo every 10 -12 weeks. Deload as needed. Also every one in a while if i feel burntout ill take 2 weeks off so i can come back strong.

Joshinator

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For me if my gains become stagnant, ill switch up my routine. Im always changing exercises every 4-6 weeks, but ill also have to change the rep ranges and tempo every 10 -12 weeks. Deload as needed. Also every one in a while if i feel burntout ill take 2 weeks off so i can come back strong.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I proceed very similarly! Good stuff

Joshinator

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im of the belief that everything should be cycled.

So, not just the gear, but the calories, the macros, the training volume, etc. Some call this "priming". If anyone is familiar with Mike Israetels training principles they will know what Im getting at in that respect.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Im of the belief that everything should be cycled.

So, not just the gear, but the calories, the macros, the training volume, etc. Some call this "priming". If anyone is familiar with Mike Israetels training principles they will know what Im getting at in that respect.

love mike... such a brainy guy but really down to earth and downright hilarious, too. I really enjoy the videos of him going back and forth with my coach, menno. they're both on the same level intellectually but carry themselves in completely different ways. It's really amusing to me seeing how different their personalities are.

~Vision~

~Vision~

Awards
At whiskey and Mat..

I'm a pretty reclusive guy and I don't like to openly speak about my personal life too much, this is something I haven't shared openly with my fellow peers in the communities, although I have referenced it on a few occasions.

To the both of you, good for you as you both deserve to live happy and full lives.
I am also in recovery, I always will be. I have several years.
Alcohol was my vice. I often hear "you don't look like an alcoholic for act like one". Some people do not have a keen understanding of the battles within and the demons that we continuously smash. What does an addict look like?!?🤷

Now I may not be able to offer any of you fellas a ride to a meeting or go out for a cup of coffee, however my private messaging is open 24/7. There's a lifeline there if you need it so please do not hesitate.

~Vision~

~Vision~

Awards
When I first got serious about working out many moons ago, nobody that I personally knew worked harder, or was more dedicated than myself (seriously).

But what I came to realize, was that I wasn't giving enough recovery time or sleep time. And I knew very little about Cortisol control at the time. So I walked around VERY sore much of the time, and left Soo many gains on the table.

Everybody that looked at me was envious of my physic, but they had no idea how much I was missing out on.

By looking at others' past shortcomings, we can sometimes avoid those pitfalls ourselves.
:)
I can relate. I learned to just dial things back and if I don't feel that day to still show up and just go through the motions.
Sometimes just showing up has turned out to be some of my best sessions.
If I don't have that rep, it's OK, I'll make it up on the next one.

Learning how to adopt and pick up on "instructive training" takes years and lots of failures.

Instinctive training and knowing how to allow ourselves a chance to listen to our bodies will end up being the biggest game change ever for everyone. I don't listen to predetermined digits anymore, some days I'm up 5-8lbs on my lifts and other days I may be down, it doesn't matter though because what matters is where am I during those sets. I can make any weight feel heavy if I use muscle to mind connection and just get into a zone. All the while still making progress.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So many ways you can go with this and depending on the person, but in general...

"Motivation follows action"

Motivation is going to wane. You can't just keep willing yourself to stay motivated so you need something in place to keep it moving.

Therefore I like to rely on systems. Systems allow me to just keep going and force action, then my motivation tends to follow. For this in particular may mean both systems WITH-IN my sessions and systems AROUND my sessions.

Within:
  • These help mitigate and manage the ups and downs of each individual session.
  • Some days you will be more motivated, some days less, some days the weights feel light (even if they shouldn't) and some days they will feel heavy (even if they should be light), etc.
  • Therefore I try to self-regulate most of my training.
    • I don't use many hard percentages in training...Shoot for the intended stimulus, so it may mean one day has me staying a few reps from failure and all reps crisp and some days may be working to whatever is my absolute best for the day.
  • Each day still has a plan. Regardless of how I feel I know what I am going to be doing so I get into a "punch the clock" mindset. I get in I do my work. If its a bad day? Oh well we'll be back tomorrow. Great day? Cool I guess, but I still have to come back at it again tomorrow/next week/etc.
Around:
  • I outsource my thinking to a coach. Could I train myself? Sure. Having a good coach means there is a certain amount of responsibility on my end, but also means I don't spend time in "analysis paralysis" wondering what to do, I have a plan and I attack it.
  • We have a LONG plan, but it is always in flux, while the SHORT plan is more set. The LONG plan gets adjusted if there are consistent issues or consistent successes of the SHORT plan.
  • I understand that each individual session is just a means to an end, some sessions I should feel like crap, some I shouldn't, but regardless I know that things will be adjusted based on trends so I don't get "caught up in my feelings". I make note of them and use them to form decisions on what goes on next, but they just inform me.
Now I know that is a lot of words for not saying much specifically, but as with most things it depends. I have been at this at a long time and slowly just add new things to the tool box whenever I run into new issues, but at the end of the day for I feel just getting good systems in place so that you don't get swayed by too much emotion, but having enough flexibility to adapt as needed helps me keep going.

This was more in line with training than nutrition, but you could apply that to my nutrition pretty well too. Don't want to turn this into too much more of a novel, but with nutrition again it is just a ton of systems in place. I don't follow a "diet" or have "on/off" it all just is what it is and is adjusted based on long term/short term feedback loops, but the systems in place that I have built over time just keep me going.