If I'm working my muscles twice a week, should I do the same exercises or alternate?

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys! I'm soon starting a new hypertrophy program which is gonna be PPLPP every week - only reason I do Legs once is because they're already well developed and wouldn't mind focusing more on other body parts.

Since Push and Pull are gonna be done twice every week, do you think I would maximize results by focusing on just some exercises and do them twice each week or actually alternate in between different exercises from the first to the second time I do Push/Pull?

For example, barbell bench on first push, dumbbell bench on second, pullups on first pull, chinups on second, etc.

Let me know what you think guys, thanks for your time!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I personally run a similar splti PPL/PPL and change the exercises between the two sessions. My thoughts are that unless you really want to train the movement itself, changing a factor of the stimulus should be more optimal.

My program also changes the set/rep ranges so some exercises just fit better on my hypertrophy focused days vs my power days. After a few runs of trial and error I really like having the mix vs the same routing 2x/wk

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I personally run a similar splti PPL/PPL and change the exercises between the two sessions. My thoughts are that unless you really want to train the movement itself, changing a factor of the stimulus should be more optimal.

My program also changes the set/rep ranges so some exercises just fit better on my hypertrophy focused days vs my power days. After a few runs of trial and error I really like having the mix vs the same routing 2x/wk

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
I think you should alternate. At least that's what I do. I like to keep the muscles guessing. Plus, I get bored easily.
If you're trying to get stronger at a certain exercise, then I wouldn't move that exercise.

Anabolikz

Anabolikz

Awards

I agree with this. If you want to get better at a lift itself I would do that lift for long period of time multiple times per week.

In either case the main deal is to be consistent with what you choose to do for a period of time..

Some people never stay consistent with their main exercises at all for the sake of "mixing it up".

The main exercises are mixed up so often that it makes it hard to track progress and push for progress.

So if you are going to have two push days: If you want to improve a specific lift like the bench, It would be best to bench every session. If your goal is mainly hypertrophy: choose 2 main exercises that suit your goals and keep them consistent so you can track and push for progress.

Famine

Famine

Awards
I like to alternate for the purpose of hitting different supporting muscles...more rounded that way.