Ideal Rep Ranges

Ott

Awards
Can anybody tell me the ideal function of the different rep ranges?
I'm currently cutting, so I'm trying to decide what kind of rep range I should use to best promote fat loss. Any advice?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Can anybody tell me the ideal function of the different rep ranges? I'm currently cutting, so I'm trying to decide what kind of rep range I should use to best promote fat loss. Any advice?
No real difference if you are in a caloric deficit.

Use any proven program you prefer

modmustang97g

Awards
Generally you want to keep your heart rate up and take minimal rest if you are trying to cut down.

In general...
1-5 reps is good for strength and size
5-10 is good for size
10+ is good for some size but really more for volume, won't promote as much size. Almost like pure cardio. You won't get a lot stronger lifting 50% of your max 35 times.

While trying to cut, generally you still want to keep your volume up, so you don't lose all of your strength or size gains. High volume is really hard to have when you are doing low reps and high weight. You generally need more rest on the high rep days, which doesn't help to keep your heart rate up. A lot of people try to do super sets with 10-15 reps. This will be low enough weight that you can still exhaust the muscle, and get enough intensity to get your heart rate going, but still let the muscle recover enough to go again without taking a 5 minute rest.

As you become more advanced, the general wisdom will start to fall apart, but you should have a better feel for what your body needs.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In my experience nothing replaces heavy weights for building mass. Barbells are king.
If you want to cut, the biggest thing from training will be your rest times in between sets, or maybe throwing in some cardio acceleration between sets. I like to keep weights as heavy as i can for 8-12 reps and i shorten my rests to around 30-40 secs. Its intense but is almost like a cardio workout in itself

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you've never tried 30 sec rest periods with rep ranges around 12-15 when cutting you're missing out. Thats a really good way to get a good pump and when cutting. To build muscle i think anywhere from 6-12 with decent weight and getting alittle heavier each set is where i find the best building rep ranges. anything below 6 i think is more for strength but will still build muscle. I just found 6-12 will build muscle better for me.

blaze01

Banned
Awards
Diffrent rep ranges for diffrent people as for me 6-8 is ideal and adding small increments until you can't no more