Iconic Formulations Neuro Melatonin *Sponsored* ol' insomniac sleep comparison

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Anabolic Minds Crew - It's your friendly insomniac here, at age 42 I've tried many sleep aids / benzos/ sleepy-marijuana.

At this point what I find to be the healthiest is a.)Melatonin most of the time b.) Valium and ibuprofen only when body is too stressed/stiff/mind won't shut down from stress.

Right now current regimen is actually 10-20mg of oral Hi-Tech Pharma Melatonin (Liposomal/Cyclosomal delivery 3mg fast, 7mg time-release). And valium or diazepam only when needed. Usually if I've worked out and feeling good, ate well, then only melatonin is needed.
=
So I've run some Iconic products before, logged them both sponsored and unsponsored alike. They ALWAYS deliver.
=
I'm expecting Neuromelatonin to be a fast-acting, but smooth response melatonin. I may have to buy a 2nd bottle myself, to run all 30-days planned here - as I may need to up to 20mg nightly.. however for the first two weeks, I'll stick to 1mL:10mg nightly.
=

I do find that You'tubing "rain + thunder + ocean waves" is miracle white noise machine to drown out a pretty, but snoring wife!!

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
==
SPACE RESERVED for FINAL REVIEW
==
In Conclusion, I ran through the entire bottle and bought 2x-more to keep in the night time drawer

I noticed something positive, it def reduced my nightly need/use of 5-10mg of Valium to sleep. And the more i Used the TD-melatonin + working out hard... seem to fix, regulate the natural sleep rythym.

Such that I could discontinue use after the first bottle, until my sleep gets out of whack again.. but then I have more in the cabinet now.

Last edited:
PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
==SPACE RESERVED for PICTURE OF BOTTLE / SKIN APP.==
=
Bottle pics first and clear, very nice graduated dropper. Says it's HIGHLY FLAMMABLE, lol, well it smells only mildly flammable :)

Well a whole 1mg spreads over a good surface area of my inner arms, upper chest, lower neck - if you use the dropper to distribute nicely.

=

Attachments

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I sleep like dogshit, nothing has ever really helped much. Neuro Melatonin "DID" make me sleepy and help me fall asleep. But not stay asleep. Even tho I didn't find it a huge success for me, it did more than most other things have. It also worked good for my girlfriend and my son the couple times I had them try it so I see that there's definitely some promise outside of my own personal experience

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'll get in on this log!

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well tonight's the night! Had a solid workout on Mechabol cycle kicking in.

Starting off 1mL (~10mg I assume) of Neutromelatonin. Since I had recently "man-scaped" going for upper chest and lower neck to apply - where skin is thin and clear.

Will report back in the morning, says to take 30 min before bed. G'nite y'all - afterI post my regular workout log and pics here.

I'll note how-long it keeps me down, how fast it hits, relative to oral melatonin, etc.

New guy

New guy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
It hit slowly for me but kept me asleep all night and less groggy in the morning than oral melatonin. I notice better sleep as low as .25ml an hour before bed but .5 is the sweet spot. It seems far more effective than oral so I'd be willing to bet you wont need the full 20mg but I'm excited to follow along and find out!

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It hit slowly for me but kept me asleep all night and less groggy in the morning than oral melatonin. I notice better sleep as low as .25ml an hour before bed but .5 is the sweet spot. It seems far more effective than oral so I'd be willing to bet you wont need the full 20mg but I'm excited to follow along and find out!
Wow you might be right! First night report here:

1.) Dose inner arms, upper chest and neck with full 1mL neutro melatonin... 8:20pm. Wait 5-10min to dry and put light shirt on.

2 ) Watch NBA finals til 9:10 or so, yawning and falling asleep at screen. Paused the game on DVR

3 ) in bed until 5:30am (about 20min ago) if I didn't have to pee I'd been down until my alarm at 6:35.

I'd say yes it does hit, takes about 45min.. but then smooth sleep. I'd say you're right, Def more effective than the oral, even with cyclosomal delivery types..

Excellent, this keeps up I'll be able to reduce the valium use even more. Crosses fingers I don't build tolerance and the transdermal delivery keeps working this way.
=

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well second 1ml dose done here tonight at 11:30pm. Bit late, but also a test.. as I read the kiddos to sleep after dinner and napped myself so watching B-ball now and will see if Neuro melatonin can get me back under here.

Report back in the AM, hopefully without needing a valium before 1-2am here.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Looking forward to seeing your opinions on this.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well good news. Took about 45-60min, but even after the dinner+kids reading nap, was able to get clean solid sleep 1-6:30am this morning!

No valium is required! Probably grab another bottle myself, if I use THEBIGT discount code would further proceeds goto his family?

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Well good news. Took about 45-60min, but even after the dinner+kids reading nap, was able to get clean solid sleep 1-6:30am this morning!

No valium is required! Probably grab another bottle myself, if I use THEBIGT discount code would further proceeds goto his family?
@delsolrob could answer that

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
We haven't set up anything like that, but that's definitely something I can look into. In all honesty, the coupon code usage from the forum is pretty low - low enough that it hasn't ever warranted setting up and maintaining affiliate marketing.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Updated nightly report, for past two nights in a row... no valium needed yet, continued nightly dosing 1mL before bedtime.

The consistent "yawn factor" sets in ~45min for me. Just ordered two bottles with BigT's code.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Updated nightly report, for past two nights in a row... no valium needed yet, continued nightly dosing 1mL before bedtime.

The consistent "yawn factor" sets in ~45min for me. Just ordered two bottles with BigT's code.
Two days and already ordered more. Impressive.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Two days and already ordered more. Impressive.
Well I guess some compounds work better when going into the blood straight, if not needle, transdermal is the way to go it seems. Judging by their TD Andros versus even cyclosomal/liposomal oral delivery Andros m, seems transdermal is as if not more effective.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Well I guess some compounds work better when going into the blood straight, if not needle, transdermal is the way to go it seems. Judging by their TD Andros versus even cyclosomal/liposomal oral delivery Andros m, seems transdermal is as if not more effective.
I’ve used melatonin for years on and off and this version by far exceeds what tablets have done.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

I'm jelly, glad it's working for you that good. I just put some on and took 6mg oral with it. I know it's going to make me drowsy and fall asleep I just wish it would make me stay asleep 😓.

Oddly enough, if I haven't mentioned it yet I like using it pre-workout, its very odd but it doesn't make me tired if I don't want to be tired and it gives me a very relaxed feeling during my workouts so I'm able to work out really hard yet I'm relaxed while doing it. I feel like it helps when I'm doing my boxing workouts because I can stay relaxed and peace myself better. Who knows, it could be completely in my head but I'll take it lol

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm jelly, glad it's working for you that good. I just put some on and took 6mg oral with it. I know it's going to make me drowsy and fall asleep I just wish it would make me stay asleep 😓.

Oddly enough, if I haven't mentioned it yet I like using it pre-workout, its very odd but it doesn't make me tired if I don't want to be tired and it gives me a very relaxed feeling during my workouts so I'm able to work out really hard yet I'm relaxed while doing it. I feel like it helps when I'm doing my boxing workouts because I can stay relaxed and peace myself better. Who knows, it could be completely in my head but I'll take it lol
Thanks, lol. Actually last night was daughter's preschool graduation, so the kiddos were out late and put them to bed. So when got up 11pm-1am, I took 1mL + 5mg Valium.

Pretty much zero hangover that way also, normally if I crunch a 10mg valium around 1am (to knockmyself out), I get a benzo hangover... So the smooth + relaxing melatonin reduces the valium need to "go back under" also in a pinch. Just tried that last night.

Your use of PWO neuro-melatonin for relaxation - is what sounds very very similar to when I would use a little delta 8, delta 9 vape oil (actually raises heart rate initially) then a pre-workout and hit the gym. The cannabinoids kill the pain, let's one relax, and can lift with zen focus (as long as one doesn't get too blitzed, small dose).

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thanks, lol. Actually last night was daughter's preschool graduation, so the kiddos were out late and put them to bed. So when got up 11pm-1am, I took 1mL + 5mg Valium.

Pretty much zero hangover that way also, normally if I crunch a 10mg valium around 1am (to knockmyself out), I get a benzo hangover... So the smooth + relaxing melatonin reduces the valium need to "go back under" also in a pinch. Just tried that last night.

Your use of PWO neuro-melatonin for relaxation - is what sounds very very similar to when I would use a little delta 8, delta 9 vape oil (actually raises heart rate initially) then a pre-workout and hit the gym. The cannabinoids kill the pain, let's one relax, and can lift with zen focus (as long as one doesn't get too blitzed, small dose).
I'm limited to what I can do, CBD dosent do anything for me unless it's paired with a little THC and I haven't used THC in 8months because I've been waiting for a job to start that was going to come completely random and it's just starting now LOL. So CBD solo don't work and bcd andTHC are both no good to me at this point. I quit drinking 3+ years ago and I decided I would not take anything sober that I han not previously used sober, example is I've only used recreational drugs like cocaine and things like painkillers and Valium and muscle relaxers ect. While drinking. So because I used to use them when I was drinking I choose yet to use them sober. Never had any form of addiction to anything like that, alcohol was my drug of choice but it's just something I decided I was going to do. Even tried some kratom recently and it made me kind of feel crappy on the way out so I decided that's a no-go also. I do have a product that contains small amounts of kratom in it that I will only let myself use occasionally once maybe twice a week if that I've got 10 servings of it and I think I've only used two over the course of the past month.

So basically, I'm not willing to take any drugs outside of performance enhancing drugs. So I either have to discover the root cause of my sleeping problems and weed them out one at a time which I've been trying to do and it's damn near impossible, or hope I stumble across a miracle or I just deal with it because I've gotten used to dealing with it it's not that crazy that I can't function. I'm lucky in the sense that I do just fine on 5 hours of sleep

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm limited to what I can do, CBD dosent do anything for me unless it's paired with a little THC and I haven't used THC in 8months because I've been waiting for a job to start that was going to come completely random and it's just starting now LOL. So CBD solo don't work and bcd andTHC are both no good to me at this point. I quit drinking 3+ years ago and I decided I would not take anything sober that I han not previously used sober, example is I've only used recreational drugs like cocaine and things like painkillers and Valium and muscle relaxers ect. While drinking. So because I used to use them when I was drinking I choose yet to use them sober. Never had any form of addiction to anything like that, alcohol was my drug of choice but it's just something I decided I was going to do. Even tried some kratom recently and it made me kind of feel crappy on the way out so I decided that's a no-go also. I do have a product that contains small amounts of kratom in it that I will only let myself use occasionally once maybe twice a week if that I've got 10 servings of it and I think I've only used two over the course of the past month.

So basically, I'm not willing to take any drugs outside of performance enhancing drugs. So I either have to discover the root cause of my sleeping problems and weed them out one at a time which I've been trying to do and it's damn near impossible, or hope I stumble across a miracle or I just deal with it because I've gotten used to dealing with it it's not that crazy that I can't function. I'm lucky in the sense that I do just fine on 5 hours of sleep
Oh bro, I feel your pain on that "root cause of insomnia" hunt.. What was once recreational for me in my 20-30's, I've quit or only use when really needed anymore. No alcohol in my house, either. Went through similar hardcore sober approach and after that I just accepted like my madre' the amount of sleep in need post 40' is ~6-7hours, unless I really workout and maybe take melatonin (so I don't use valium at night).

I sorta just accepted I was "bi phasic" or only needed 6-7 hours in my older age, I usually wake once in the night unless I really workout and go hard that day. Bluetooth speakers plus Youtube 10hour long Rain + Thunder + Waves in every bedroom I might crash in. That usually helps, that nature/whitenoise to get the mind back to a good place. I find the anger, anxiety of trying to solve changing sleep was half the issue, eliminating the stress response to change in sleep time/quality.

Back to the "lifted lifting" I only take some Delta 8 (trust me it's not CBD, its THC, binds to same recetors with one double-bond moved from position 9 to 8) as stress management, sometimes pre-workout if I'm just very sore at the start. But if you can use Neuromelatonin to relax + PWO and get the same "lifted lifting" effect that's excellent!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm not even really going through a hardcore sober approach in my opinion, I don't care if there's alcohol in my house I'm just not drinking it I don't care if my friends are drunk around me. I made blood orange cello for some people last year I took a sip of it just to make sure it came out okay didn't bother me I just knew that I couldn't actually have a drink or I'd be screwed. 156 West for 4 miles using for not using the drugs I mentioned is not about a sober approach for me it's just about me not using things for the sake of using things. I don't want to use crutches, I don't want to use recreational drugs for things that they're not intended for, but if I broke my ankles tomorrow and the doctor gave me some Percocets I'd probably take them and I wouldn't be slightly worried about getting addicted to him cuz that was never my thing I really just have an All or nothing approached it everything I do most of the time and unless one of those things was going to 100% fix my problem I just don't see a point in using it. Even with me not drinking I still want to drink all the time, if I plan a vacation and my kids weren't around and me and my buddies just went away I probably have a couple beers so I wouldn't even care I just know that I'll never let my children see me drink again and people in my family that care about me because even though I was a pretty bad drunk as far as the amount of alcohol I used to consume the bigger problem was that I let it become a priority and it made me not be a responsible person it made me miss work it made me stay out till 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning all the time and it made me spend $800 a week every single week when I only made $1,000 a week so even though I had a drinking problem it caused way bigger problems than a drinking problem if you get what I'm saying. So I guess I just thought to myself it's time to grow up. I do envy people who can go out and have two beers and call it a night and come home because I am not that person I still drink like a teenager at a party and can't stop so for me I got to grow up. Sorry for the rant LOL

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm not even really going through a hardcore sober approach in my opinion, I don't care if there's alcohol in my house I'm just not drinking it I don't care if my friends are drunk around me. I made blood orange cello for some people last year I took a sip of it just to make sure it came out okay didn't bother me I just knew that I couldn't actually have a drink or I'd be screwed. 156 West for 4 miles using for not using the drugs I mentioned is not about a sober approach for me it's just about me not using things for the sake of using things. I don't want to use crutches, I don't want to use recreational drugs for things that they're not intended for, but if I broke my ankles tomorrow and the doctor gave me some Percocets I'd probably take them and I wouldn't be slightly worried about getting addicted to him cuz that was never my thing I really just have an All or nothing approached it everything I do most of the time and unless one of those things was going to 100% fix my problem I just don't see a point in using it. Even with me not drinking I still want to drink all the time, if I plan a vacation and my kids weren't around and me and my buddies just went away I probably have a couple beers so I wouldn't even care I just know that I'll never let my children see me drink again and people in my family that care about me because even though I was a pretty bad drunk as far as the amount of alcohol I used to consume the bigger problem was that I let it become a priority and it made me not be a responsible person it made me miss work it made me stay out till 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning all the time and it made me spend $800 a week every single week when I only made $1,000 a week so even though I had a drinking problem it caused way bigger problems than a drinking problem if you get what I'm saying. So I guess I just thought to myself it's time to grow up. I do envy people who can go out and have two beers and call it a night and come home because I am not that person I still drink like a teenager at a party and can't stop so for me I got to grow up. Sorry for the rant LOL
In the middle of that post do you see the 156 West for 4 MI LOL I was using talk to text and my GPS said that out loud and it recorded into the message 😂😂😂

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well more good news. Mostly, lol.

Wife goes from silent to sawing logs snoring 2:30am. I was tired enough had fallen asleep. Read for a bit and took 1mL Neuro melatonin around the neck area and went to spare bed near kids room.. got another solid 3 hours before having to get up.

Nice. So it works mid of the night and the rubbing action is a bit self soothing if a snorer has just awoken you. No hangover like a 5mg mid night benzo would do.

Well 1mL about to go on and zonk cause I need a full night tonight. Gnite y'all

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So it works mid of the night and the rubbing action is a bit self soothing
That's what she said.... Sorry had to do it. I have the mind of a 15 year old. :LOL:

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Logging into say dose on, 1mL around neck and chest. Snoring family in the other room, g'nite lol..

Tomorrow shoulders day core day.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Solid 7.5 hours, excellent. No hangover :) No valium needed. Alright, so transdermal Melatonin has some legs it seems.
=

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Solid 7.5 hours, excellent. No hangover :) No valium needed. Alright, so transdermal Melatonin has some legs it seems.
=
Nice! Gotta love a solid nights sleep!

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Apologies for the log pause, hit some unexpected gastro-issues (heart-burn, indigestion, acid related) stuff that messed up routine and sleep this week.

Will resume nightly Nuero melatonin here this weekend.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Will resume nightly Nuero melatonin here this weekend.
I use the weekends to try and catch up on a little sleep that I was deprived of during the week. I'm sure neuro melatonin will definitely assist with that to!

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Past two nights, I actually skipped by accident. And well woke up early 3-4am. Then used again last night, smooth through until 6:30am alarm.

Good stuff.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Past two nights, I actually skipped by accident. And well woke up early 3-4am. Then used again last night, smooth through until 6:30am alarm.

Good stuff.
Seems this works well for you

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Seems this works well for you
Indeed, but it's a boring log though - feel like I should just post some titty pics or cars, lol? But yeah if you want some healthier sleep give TD melatonin a go as part of the toolkit I'd say.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Indeed, but it's a boring log though - feel like I should just post some titty pics or cars, lol? But yeah if you want some healthier sleep give TD melatonin a go as part of the toolkit I'd say.
Couldn’t have said better

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In Conclusion, I ran through the entire bottle and bought 2x-more to keep in the night time drawer

I noticed something positive, it def reduced my nightly need/use of 5-10mg of Valium to sleep. And the more i Used the TD-melatonin + working out hard... seem to fix, regulate the natural sleep rhythm.

EDIT = SHOULD NOTE, the Nuero Melatonin isn't just Melatonin in TD form but also uses *Neurolidol* which you can look up (special Terpine) or scroll to my last post here.

Such that I could discontinue use after the first bottle, until my sleep gets out of whack again.. but then I have more in the cabinet now.

Last edited:
cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

I noticed something positive, it def reduced my nightly need/use of 5-10mg of Valium to sleep. And the more i Used the TD-melatonin + working out hard... seem to fix, regulate the natural sleep rythym.

Thank you for a great review

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also, I guess for readers should know it's not just Melatonin at work here.

Also Neurolidol = Terpine, "It has a strong, woodsy scent, but can also be described as citrusy. Nerolidol is known for its sedative and relaxing effects, making it a good candidate for aiding sleep. It's also known for having antioxidant, antifungal, anticancer, antimicrobial, and antiparasitic properties." Wikipedia.

😎 Cool. Great work Iconic. This one stays in my travel sleep kit, so you know it legit if it get upgraded to my travel meds bag, lol.

Attachments

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Nice review. Sounds like it treated you well!

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice review. Sounds like it treated you well!
Thanks, yeah it's interesting the Melatonin + Neurolidol in TD application a good combo for me. Works well.

Wish I could've jumped on the IML R-Andro log (7-keto + androsterone + Arachadonic acid) in TD also.

But I'm also now using IF's 7-Alpha and Ultrahard (and due to that R-Andro stack) went and bought my own bottles of Arachadonic to add my 7-Alpha + Ultrahard party too.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
went and bought my own bottles of Arachadonic to add my 7-Alpha + Ultrahard party too.
Now that sounds like a nice set up for some results for sure!

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey Gents - just wanted to ring in one more time... Still using the Neuro Melatonin product (moved onto next bottle), still works well. Love Melatonin + Neurolidol combo.

One thing - please lessen the "perfume" the stuff that's smells good dilute, but not soo good when concentrated (Salvia Sclarea) please either just eliminate it, or seriously dilute it.

At first the sweet smell was OK, but now starting to bug me. Will order more if you eliminate the perfume, thanks!

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
We had one batch of essential oils we received that was more fragrant than the previous - we are lowering the concentration of the clary sage on the latest batches of products.

Thank you for the feedback

nerolidol is also a great penetration enhancer and antioxidant