I let myself go.

N

NoahsArk

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
weighing 280 at 6'4
Was 200 solid but depression and laziness got the best of me.
Anyhow i'm trying to change that, I was wondering what works to lose weight..
I've been walking alot and sometimes running too, I know cardio is my best friend right now but what else?
I heard fasting helps too. anytips would be helpful thank you guys

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
Cardio is nice.. but diet is king. Just eat mainly unprocessed foods and a lot less then what you eat now. You need to change your lifestyle. You need to change what you eat for me its more salads and eggs for breakfast or yoghurt with protein and musli. But its mainly about eating less and eating good food. So no pizza's / mc donalds and that kind of food.

Without more idea about what you eat now its hard to give real suggestions.

E

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nutrition, exercise, sleep... start there. Cardio isn't necessarily a best friend for all. It can actually be a detriment if overdone due to cortisol elevation. It's about balance.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nutrition, exercise, sleep... start there. Cardio isn't necessarily a best friend for all. It can actually be a detriment if overdone due to cortisol elevation. It's about balance.
Agreed with this. Definitely nutrition will be key!

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Walking is great, get those steps up.

In general it is going to come down to nutrition. If you are just starting I wouldn't go too crazy with anything and maybe focus on a few habits to start.

My opinion is nutrition to drive the weight loss, weight lifting or strength training to help retain lean mass, and walking or trying to maintain a certain step count to help offset reductions in non-exercise activity as you lose weight. Getting into more detail only if/when needed down the road.

stacy1212

stacy1212

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
First thing comes to my mind is .... how’s your soul/mind? Depression better? Start there my friend the rest will follow. The punching bag always seems to help this gal... and I agree with all the above get your diet on point.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I would fast until noon time or later each day and focus on huge salads with chicken and rice. If you are doing intense weight training I would break the fast on these days no more than three days a week. Your depression will disappear. You got this.

J

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ve done it myself numerous times. Lots of options and it depends on your will power and how long you want to be back in shape. I like to do it as fast as possible and cut hard. Psmf is my favorite way to go but it’s not for everybody. If is great as well for me but once again not for everybody. Train, eat better, and track your calories and you will lose weight. Hardest part is always getting started.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
5-6 small meal a day always help me, you are less likely to snack on unhealthy items. On that note clear all the junk food out of the house temptation is not your friend. I lost 85lbs 30 years ago, I know the drill.

D

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Exercise and Exercise. Follow the nutrition guide.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
First thing comes to my mind is .... how’s your soul/mind? Depression better? Start there my friend the rest will follow. The punching bag always seems to help this gal... and I agree with all the above get your diet on point.
this is a great post!!!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have been there man. Do you enjoy walking? Can you stick to it for a year? If so - focus on it. Don't focus on the weight loss, focus on the hobby and the habits.

I think trying to jump into fasting and hard dieting before you are really excited and already have some good habits under your belt will just increase the chances you give up. I have had plenty attempts at doing things like fasting. Sometimes it works great...but 3/4 of the time I stick to it for a while and then give up because I am just not mentally ready - I am only doing it because I want fast results.

If you are still depressed, Stacy has some good advice and the right focus - but sometimes the best way to deal with depression is to not deal with it. Get out and build positive habits and do things that make you forget about the depression. Forget you are depressed for long enough and guess what?

Finally, do NOT rely on willpower. Will power is limited and it will fail you. Change your environment. Come up with a bunch of healthy foods you like and will enjoy eating and go shopping. Learn to cook for yourself. Get rid of all the junk in your house. Stop eating out.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have been there man. Do you enjoy walking? Can you stick to it for a year? If so - focus on it. Don't focus on the weight loss, focus on the hobby and the habits.

I think trying to jump into fasting and hard dieting before you are really excited and already have some good habits under your belt will just increase the chances you give up. I have had plenty attempts at doing things like fasting. Sometimes it works great...but 3/4 of the time I stick to it for a while and then give up because I am just not mentally ready - I am only doing it because I want fast results.

If you are still depressed, Stacy has some good advice and the right focus - but sometimes the best way to deal with depression is to not deal with it. Get out and build positive habits and do things that make you forget about the depression. Forget you are depressed for long enough and guess what?

Finally, do NOT rely on willpower. Will power is limited and it will fail you. Change your environment. Come up with a bunch of healthy foods you like and will enjoy eating and go shopping. Learn to cook for yourself. Get rid of all the junk in your house. Stop eating out.
Great words of wisdom here !!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
5-6 small meal a day always help me, you are less likely to snack on unhealthy items. On that note clear all the junk food out of the house temptation is not your friend. I lost 85lbs 30 years ago, I know the drill.
Snacking is my enemy. Ecspecially with the work from home since COVID hit. It's a lot easier to snack :(

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Guy asks for advice then never posts again. Hope depression didn’t get the best of him

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
honestly it did get to me but im trying again now
It doesn't sound like it really got the best of you though, it may have to to you, but you are still up and swinging my man! Good work in coming up for another round!

Lol capitalizing on someone’s depression. Apex products are great, just not the best look
I agree.

i disagree. It looks great for us when we try to help people in sincerity.
I agree with this too.

I think you are both right.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Where is @NoahsArk ??

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
On that note clear all the junk food out of the house temptation is not your friend.
This is definitely a key point. Junk food is my friend in the short term but long term is the devil! ;)

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
ramen is what did it too me lol
haha good ol college days for me

curious how you doing bro ? hope depression has faded away and you got life on track with good diet/training

N

NoahsArk

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
haha good ol college days for me

curious how you doing bro ? hope depression has faded away and you got life on track with good diet/training
I'm doing better, I went thru alot to cause me being depressed lost a couple people i used to take care, it made me feel useless.
I'm getting back to normal. Im about to get my hormone levels check too so that's a plus

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm doing better, I went thru alot to cause me being depressed lost a couple people i used to take care, it made me feel useless.
I'm getting back to normal. Im about to get my hormone levels check too so that's a plus

yeah that could be real tough .. ive been there

only time heals pain sometimes .. good to see you here active and doing things

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote