I just got my bloodwork back, WBC/cholesterol concerns.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I got my bloodwork back this weekend from about a week ago. Some of these numbers have me a little worried and I was wondering if anyone could toss a little knowledge my way so that I can sleep easy.

My doctor wants me to get retested because of the low White Blood Count. Also looking at the test I saw that my Red Blood Count was low as well. I haven't felt sick or anything like that.

She also said that my HDL was low (25) and that I should eat more fish/supplement fish oil. I eat multiple cans of tuna per day (little fat, I know) and I also supplement 1-2 tablespoons of fish oil daily.

I also noticed that my BUN was listed as high. I had to google that to see what it was all about. Could my nitrogen levels be elevated from having a high protein diet? Do you all think that I should increase my water intake or maybe drop my protein by about 20-30g/day to see if that helps?

Regardless, I'm going to get more blood drawn in a week or two, and I'd like to go ahead and make possible simple dietary changes now to see if that make beneficial differences in my test.

--------------------

CBC w/Diff & Pit

WBC: 3.9 (4.4-11.3)
RBC: 4.42 (4.50-5.90)

Hemoglobin: 14.1 (14.0-17.5)
Hematocrit 40.2 (40.0-52.0)
RDW: 11.7 (11.6-14.6)
Platelet Count: 160 (150-450)
Neutrophil# 1.9 (1.8-7.7)
Neutrophil% 48.7 (50.0-66.0)
Monocyte% 10.0 (4.0-10.0)
Eosinophil% 4.4 (1.0-3.0)

Comp Metabolic Panel

BUN: 21 (5-20)
Albumin: 4.9 (3.5-5.0)
Cholesterol, Total: 80 (100-200)
Triglycerides: 54 (0-149)
HDL Cholesterol: 25 (40-59)
VLDL: 11 (5-40)
LDL Direct: 53 (0-100)
Chol/HDL Ration: 3.2

-------------------------------------

If need be, I can post the rest of the results but the rest of the numbers seemed to be comfortably within range. Thanks everybody.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
What was your: MCV, MCH, lymphocytes

Possiblities:

Bun high because of protein intake, but it also indicates kidney failure.

WBC,RBC and platelets are all low in begining stages of HIV.

RBC can be due to low b12, Anemia, and kidney failure.

Low hemacrit, Anemia.

If i think of anything else ill post it, but definitly put up those i asked for above when you get a chance

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
MCV: 91 (80-96)
MCH: 32 (28-33)
lymphocyte#: 1.4 (1.0-4.8)
lymphocyte%: 36.9 (20.0-40.0)

Let me also add that I tested negative for hepatitus B, C or HIV

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
MCV: 91 (80-96)
MCH: 32 (28-33)
lymphocyte#: 1.4 (1.0-4.8)
lymphocyte%: 36.9 (20.0-40.0)

Let me also add that I tested negative for hepatitus B, C or HIV

Good to hear about the HIV, with the rest of those #'s Im going to lean towards Anemia. With the possiblity of some Hypothyroidism, i would get a good thyroid scan to be sure.

Did you drink the night before the test? Because alcohol can skew results toward what you have posted.

And do you get acid reflux?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I haven't had a drop of alcohol in...months probably. Never get acid reflux. I thought I was doing fine until that test came back. :think:

The blood was drawn 1st thing in the morning, empty stomach. The night before was either eggs or casein protein + fish oil.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I wouldnt worry too much, my GF works at a hospital and she says the lab makes mistakes from time to time, but at your next blood draw make sure they do everything again: lipids, CBC, ferritin, TSH, iron, folic acid, b12, CMP, and TIBC. I think that should cover it.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Good to hear about the HIV, with the rest of those #'s Im going to lean towards Anemia. With the possiblity of some Hypothyroidism, i would get a good thyroid scan to be sure.

Did you drink the night before the test? Because alcohol can skew results toward what you have posted.

And do you get acid reflux?
What about acid reflux?

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
What about acid reflux?
It can cause bleeding in either the esophogus or stomach.

And Anemia can be due to blood loss. Just trying to get a picture of anything that might be wrong.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
As stated, I've never had an issue with acid reflux.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
When and what was your last cycle?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What was your: MCV, MCH, lymphocytes

Possiblities:

Bun high because of protein intake, but it also indicates kidney failure.

A: BUN (Blood/Urea/Nitrogen) content is MUCH more indicative of hydration status when correlated with a creatinine level. Increased nitrogen levels from protien intake, use of creatine, or fluid volume deficiency can cause an elevated BUN. However, even in this case, SB's BUN is COMPLETELY unremarkable. Your serum creatinine level is a MUCH better indicatior or renal failure or azotemia.

WBC,RBC and platelets are all low in begining stages of HIV.

A: In the acute or sero-conversion phase of hiv, most blood work is completely unremarkable other than certain tests (PCR) that can detect an HIV antigen/viral load within the first week of exposure. After that time period elapses, it takes you body anywhere from 3-6 months to develop detectable antibodies on the standard and very sensitive HIV ELISA test. At that time the viral load is also already under control by the body and doesnt' become noteable again for up to 10 years as the damage is slowly done to your immune system.

Abnormal bloodwork such as a decreased Hemoglobin (anemia), thrombocytopenia (low platelets), leukopenia (low white blood cell count) are not evident until the HIV disease is already SIGNIFICANTLY advanced to borderline AIDS status.

RBC can be due to low b12, Anemia, and kidney failure.

A: A lowered rbc can result from many different mechanisms. A megoblastic anemia (Low b12) is more evinced in the RBC differential (MCH, MCHC, RDW, MCV.) The renin-angiotensin system activated by your kidney's plays a part in erythrocyte production, however bonemarrow is still the biggest player in that regard.

Low hemacrit, Anemia.

If i think of anything else ill post it, but definitly put up those i asked for above when you get a chance
Don't take this as i'm negatively ripping a part what you've said in anyway, however you're off in much of what you've posted here.

Last edited:
Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got my bloodwork back this weekend from about a week ago. Some of these numbers have me a little worried and I was wondering if anyone could toss a little knowledge my way so that I can sleep easy.

My doctor wants me to get retested because of the low White Blood Count. Also looking at the test I saw that my Red Blood Count was low as well. I haven't felt sick or anything like that.

She also said that my HDL was low (25) and that I should eat more fish/supplement fish oil. I eat multiple cans of tuna per day (little fat, I know) and I also supplement 1-2 tablespoons of fish oil daily.

I also noticed that my BUN was listed as high. I had to google that to see what it was all about. Could my nitrogen levels be elevated from having a high protein diet? Do you all think that I should increase my water intake or maybe drop my protein by about 20-30g/day to see if that helps?

Regardless, I'm going to get more blood drawn in a week or two, and I'd like to go ahead and make possible simple dietary changes now to see if that make beneficial differences in my test.

--------------------

CBC w/Diff & Pit

WBC: 3.9 (4.4-11.3)
RBC: 4.42 (4.50-5.90)

Hemoglobin: 14.1 (14.0-17.5)
Hematocrit 40.2 (40.0-52.0)
RDW: 11.7 (11.6-14.6)
Platelet Count: 160 (150-450)
Neutrophil# 1.9 (1.8-7.7)
Neutrophil% 48.7 (50.0-66.0)
Monocyte% 10.0 (4.0-10.0)
Eosinophil% 4.4 (1.0-3.0)

Comp Metabolic Panel

BUN: 21 (5-20)
Albumin: 4.9 (3.5-5.0)
Cholesterol, Total: 80 (100-200)
Triglycerides: 54 (0-149)
HDL Cholesterol: 25 (40-59)
VLDL: 11 (5-40)
LDL Direct: 53 (0-100)
Chol/HDL Ration: 3.2

-------------------------------------

If need be, I can post the rest of the results but the rest of the numbers seemed to be comfortably within range. Thanks everybody.
Sorry i didn't see this sooner man. Anyway, i can tell you why it's of concern to your doctor. A lowered wbc count can result from many different origins overall (disease, cancer, bone marrow suppression.) Not to mention that your wbc level will greatly vary from day to day depending on your underlying immune state and pathogenic involvement. So in other words, i wouldn't worry about anything man until that repeat is done. ;)

Just by looking at your total wbc differential, your lymphocycte differential count is completely normal with an unremarkable neutrophil differential.

To make it easier to understand the differential - Neutrophils are white blood cells that are primarily responsible for dealing with disease of bacterial origin. If there is a shift in elevated neutrophils, and a lowered lymphocyte count we call it a left shift in the differential....or bacterial in origin.

Lymphocytes are responsible for antibody production and deal primarily with diseases of viral origin. If you have a differential with an elevated lymphocyte count, and a low neutrophil count this is called a right shift in the differential.....or viral in origin.

Monocytes are also specific lymphocytes that become elevated during viral infection. This is how mononucleousis got its name. :)

Your doctor is ordering repeat bloodwork to make sure that this issue isn't getting worse. Not to mention that EVERY lab has different norms for their blood test results. On my last CBC i had 3.9 was the low end of normal.

Your RBC and platelet counts i wouldn't consider significant either. Your RBC count differential doesn't indicate any specific type of anemia. They again are right on the normal border.

As i kind of already described in an above post, your BUN is more indicative of hydration status than anything as well as elevated nitrogen levels (from protein), or creatine use. Either way, your level is certainly of no significance imo at ALL. Try increasing you fluid intake over the next week and see what the repeat test shows. Correlating your BUN with a creatinine is how renal function is discerned and evaluated.

As far as you cholesterol concerns go, I'n not sure why your doctor is overly concerned. You have a total of 80......that's unreal man. Your HDL, LDL, AND VLDL make up that number. The low HDL is really only an issue when your LDL and total level is on the elevated side. Some labs do a HDL/LDL ratio that gives indicates when the ratio is unbalanced and of concern.

I'd just get the retests done, and not worry in the mean time bud. Nothing there that i'd be overly concerned about myself to be honest. :)

BTW - Did they do liver function test also?

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Don't take this as i'm negatively ripping a part what you've said in anyway, however you're off in much of what you've posted here.

No offence taken, i was just trying to help a fellow Am'er out.

Your right its later stage HIV/AIDS, where i was going with that was i didnt want to just ask if he had aids, i wanted to find out first if he had even been tested for it.

And again your right, BUN is high protein etc thats why i mentioned that, i guess i could have qualified the kidney failure remark with more info.

And with the B12, thats why i asked for the MCH, MCV.

With you being in the medical field ill defer to your analysis.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No offence taken, i was just trying to help a fellow Am'er out.

Your right its later stage HIV/AIDS, where i was going with that was i didnt want to just ask if he had aids, i wanted to find out first if he had even been tested for it.

And again your right, BUN is high protein etc thats why i mentioned that, i guess i could have qualified the kidney failure remark with more info.

And with the B12, thats why i asked for the MCH, MCV.

With you being in the medical field ill defer to your analysis.
I totally understand. I just didn't want bob to be freaking out ahah.

You're right about the rbc differentials in determining specific anemias. The MCV percentage is of most concern in a suspected b12 megoblastic anemia.

It's good to see fellow AM'ers helping each other out. I certainly applaude you for that. Once again, i meant no harm man, just elaborating a bit. :)

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Alright, I was already planning on heading over there next week to get the retest done. Big thanks T for taking a look at this for me.

They did not do a liver function test. Do you think that it would be prudent for me to call my doctor and ask her if that could be included on the form? I don't want to make it sound like I'm second guessing her.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright, I was already planning on heading over there next week to get the retest done. Big thanks T for taking a look at this for me.

They did not do a liver function test. Do you think that it would be prudent for me to call my doctor and ask her if that could be included on the form? I don't want to make it sound like I'm second guessing her.
I would call and have it done just for baseline knowledge. As a patient, you most certainly have a right to question things and make requests for your own peace of mind.

Good luck man. Please keep us updated with the results.

mightyconan

Awards
FROM what ive been reading, from a leading dr. this whole cholesteral is a big scam in order to sell drugs. high cholesteral levels are not only not dangerous, but beneficial for many things. keeping ur cholesteral levels low is not a good thing, despite what the mass media tells u.