I found an old book....

AllTheGainz

Awards
Going through some old stuff i found something hat caught my eye, so I decided to make a topic about it. Maybe others have found similar things while digging around in attics. If you have, post a brief summary of it.

The book is from 1925. The pages are old and worn, turning that yellowish brown color. Its got the old rustic smell of a book long past its time, possibly detailing of something of importance. The pages, all cut at different lengths, mismatched and misaligned, are frail and hard. The book is called Callinicus A Defense of Chemical Warfare.

The book holds some of the darkest secrets of chemical warfare, the unofficial rules and standards. It details some possible tactics used for taking ground during The Great War, most of which are slightly racist in nature. The book in general is a depressing read and while only a 80 pages, it details experiments carried out on humans as well as dogs and people of different races. But I suppose a book supporting the idea of chemical warfare is depressing in and of itself, but hindsight is 20/20.

I figured this book was cool, a little piece of history from 91 years ago and it made me curious if anyone else has uncovered similar books or pieces of history.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have a number of books printed during and shortly after the Great War I use for research. They are interesting to read. Also have some from the early 1820s dealing with the Napoleonic Wars and Feinmore Cooper's History of the U.S. Navy from the 1840s. That is F.Cooper of Last of the Mohicans and other tales.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Dang that's awesome! I thought mine was old but to have a book that's 200 years old is crazy!

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The ones from 1820s were several volumes of James' Naval History of Great Britain during the Napoleonic Wars were garage sale finds. They were unbound with the boards separate. The would have been off to the trash incinerator. I bought them and sent them to a pro to have the boards attached with new period appearing endpapers. They look like New Old Stock. like this
https://www.rareburg.com/item/james-naval-history-of-great-britain-1793-1820-1st-edition-IFD3CYSQUHET
Impressive

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I noticed the price of the set in link. $850GBP is like $1275 USD. Mine are worth much less due to modifications but the original pages are much nicer in terms of overall condition.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well Mine is not a book story, however after my grandmother passed, I went to help my aunts get her house ready to sell. I found a gun that ended up belonging to my grandpa, a man I still admire and look up to. Anyway, they were going to throw it away due to it not "being safe". I confiscated it. But, after some research, I found out its an original model, Iver Johnson top break "automatic safety" .32 caliber black powder revolver, made around 1860. Its now mine and then my sons.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Well Mine is not a book story, however after my grandmother passed, I went to help my aunts get her house ready to sell. I found a gun that ended up belonging to my grandpa, a man I still admire and look up to. Anyway, they were going to throw it away due to it not "being safe". I confiscated it. But, after some research, I found out its an original model, Iver Johnson top break "automatic safety" .32 caliber black powder revolver, made around 1860. Its now mine and then my sons.
That's awesome! Nice bit of history right there.