Unanswered I did something to my knee. Need help

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So I was training legs yesterday and after doing some leg extensions (at which point I was feeling fine and had just set a new PB) I knelt down on left knee to tie my shoelace and all of a sudden my knee started to really hurt. To be specific, my knee cap’s fine the pain is felt right at the top of the bone beneath it. When my leg is bent at the knee the top bit of that bone sticks out a little bit.

Here are two photos of my knees with the location of the pain circled

Passing my fingers over my knees, the area where the pain is is slightly swollen and is warmer than the same spot on my right knee.

It doesn’t hurt most of the time and mostly just hurts when I bend my knee into an acute angle and if I apply directly pressure onto the spot, saying if I knelt on that knee.

Anyone have idea what happened?

A theory which comes to mind is that, so I feel pain in my left elbow whilst doing tricep extensions and I’ve been told that part of the triceps extends over the left elbow and that that’s the likely cause of the pain. Does some part of my quad extend over my left knee? I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with that

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like your Patellar Tendon is inflamed. Im guessing your too old for Osgood S. disease but I wouldn't rule out a possible avulsion. Ice and try not to do too much knee extension work for a bit. Eccentrics later on when the swelling goes down. If it worsens I would def go to the Ortho.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sounds like your Patellar Tendon is inflamed. Im guessing your too old for Osgood S. disease but I wouldn't rule out a possible avulsion. Ice and try not to do too much knee extension work for a bit. Eccentrics later on when the swelling goes down. If it worsens I would def go to the Ortho.
Thanks dude!

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Leg extensions are the absolute worse thing u can do to your knees ..specifically it puts extreme pressure on the meniscus...and grinds away at it each time. If your knee feels like u get an all of sudden sharp pain (or bite)...then you have successfully damaged the meniscus (meniscus tears can only be helped via surgery while if enough meniscus tissue exists, else knee replacement is necessary. Good news is if you avoid leg extensions and focus on squats and lunges (not leg press or any machines for that matter) your knee will find its happy place and can stay happy all your life. No kidding. This is coming from a guy who is 51 yrs and still squats 400+ pounds reps weekly. Dont mess with your knees....your PB on the leg extension machine won't mean anything when your knees destroyed. When people say they have arthritis in their knee(s), it really means that they are feeling bone on bone due the meniscus being torn right through in spots or all together. Leg extensions are the devil lol seriously. You can build much bigger and better quads with proper squat and lung form. Good luck brother.....you will be fine.

Last edited: