I did kickback machine, cramped up. Problem and solution?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I have always admitted that I am a guy with one of the biggest flexibility problems in the world.

1. All the bad stuff happens from a propensity to tightness, weak other muscles, etc.

- Glute Amnesia
- Anterior Pelvic Tilt
- Weak Glutes and Hamstrings
- Very Weak Abs, especially obliques, etc.

2. To be fair, I have been a hard lifter in the past. My prime movers have above average strength (Bench Press 225 lbs * 10, Squat 225 LBS * 15, etc.).

Yet, it is very tight hamstrings, weak core, etc. that always sabotages my results when lifting heavy, and of course poor movement patterns, etc.

3. What exactly causes the hamstrings to get so tight?

4. What are the best solutions to fix it?

When I was much younger, people spoke of stretching. Now, they say that is actually detrimental, and do ways to strengthen the tight muscle and the antagonist/opposite muscles.

5. I also know that the Joe Defranco's "Limber 11" is recommended.

I am trying some.

6. Any other insight that can be added?

Thanks

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not really sure what your question is, but if you are asking why you are cramping I would always start with the basics- hydration, potassium, sodium and magnesium. Coconut water can be an easy answer. Don't limit salt. Make sure you are drinking plenty.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sounds like you need to hydrate more and make sure you get enough salt and potassium. Sounds like something nutritionally is lacking. And it sounds like u have labelled yourself...get rid of the labels and move on. Use your energy to change not to ground you.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
To me, it is just very tight hamstrings, weak glutes, weak lower back, weak abs, etc. My core is always the worst.

What is the best for core flexibility and motion?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Your hydration sucks, as previous commenters have mentioned. Get more potassium, sodium, water and/or magnesium in your diet or via supplementation. Adding Morton Lite Salt to my periworkout water helps a lot. Or you could eat a pickle and banana preWO, or a meal with salted potatoes.

The hamstrings are the most prone to cramping for many lifters. It’s just how it is.

If you know your posterior chain and abs suck, put more emphasis on them in your training. You sound like you already know the answers here. Glute-ham raises, hyperextensions, reverse hyperextensions, good mornings, SLDL, RDL, planks, bird dogs, spread eagle sit-ups, hanging leg raises, farmers walks with turns, sumo box deadlifts, suitcase carries, Pallof presses, lunges, reverse lunges, front squats, reverse sled drags, sandbag carries, and so on.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What everybody else said about hydration/diet and buy a lacrosse ball for a few bucks. I find it more effective to loosen up with a lacrosse ball than traditional stretching.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What everybody else said about hydration/diet and buy a lacrosse ball for a few bucks. I find it more effective to loosen up with a lacrosse ball than traditional stretching.
This is a great tip. Hammies take a lot of pressure to loosen compared to rolling other areas of the body. The lacrosse ball really delivers some pressure at a targeted point!