Hypertrophy Leg Question

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I’ve switched to a hypertrophy program with the basis being to gain size and ultimately use it as a base building work capacity block. I do two lower body workouts a week. Everything is done at home so no machines.

1. What do you guys do for hypertrophy leg work?

2. Thinking of getting a leg extension/leg curl bench…worth it? I would use it for hypertrophy Blocks only.

My current leg workouts are below. Deadlifts and squats are the bulk of my leg days with higher reps.

Workout 1:

Deadlifts- 4 sets of 12
F squats- 3 sets of 12
Lunges (15 reps)+ hypers (20 reps)+ calves 30 reps- 3 sets of each

Workout 2

Back squat- 4 sets of 12
Deadlift variation 16 reps + calves- 4 sets of each
Hypers + lunges- 3 sets of each

negus215

Awards
try incorporating sissy squats with assistance by holding the rack. I'd superset them after a heavy leg press, but you can probably do those right after your main squats. they really helped blow up my quads

MakeTime3

MakeTime3

Awards
Hey, what’s going on man.

1. Heavy squats.

2. No

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have one of those curl/extension benches and didn’t use it for a long time. I’ve added it back in to warmup for squats and fatigue my quads before leg press and split squats, and I have seen a noticeable difference.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You could work in some split squat variations, cossack squats, copenhagans and hip thrusts (not saying add all but as ideas for some variation). Just try to make sure to not neglect the adductors and different variations of your movements to really hit all of the legs.

Adding some machine leg curl or extensions shouldn't be necessary, but can give a different challenge or be a good change of pace mentally if needed!

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
High rep squat is king. Don’t have a set rep number, do as many as you can, rest standing (without racking the bar), do a few more, rest standing, do a few more and so on until you can’t do a single more rep. That’s hypertrophy for legs.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
High rep squat is king. Don’t have a set rep number, do as many as you can, rest standing (without racking the bar), do a few more, rest standing, do a few more and so on until you can’t do a single more rep. That’s hypertrophy for legs.
Get's my heart racing just thinking about doing this.

Time for a rest interval...