Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Damn bro, 285x9...setting yourself up nicely for a decent little PR come meet day. Shît, you may even set one in your peak with how things are looking.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Damn bro, 285x9...setting yourself up nicely for a decent little PR come meet day. Shît, you may even set one in your peak with how things are looking.
Absolutely, God willing - estimated max from today’s effort says I could have benched 365. To put perspective on that, I hit 352 at my last meet in December on a successful third attempt, and barely hit 290 for an initial top single on a training day right BEFORE the keto diet prior to this blast.

My bench has risen ~75lbs in 11 weeks.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Absolutely, God willing - estimated max from today’s effort says I could have benched 365. To put perspective on that, I hit 352 at my last meet in December on a successful third attempt, and barely hit 290 for an initial top single on a training day right BEFORE the keto diet prior to this blast.

My bench has risen ~75lbs in 11 weeks.
That's awesome

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Woke up at 258.8...down 2lbs. So I bought this at Sam’s:

IMG_6302.JPG

Note the 1/4 missing. This Key Lime pie was not purchased this way

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sorry if I missed this but what weight are you planning on competing in?

Also, when do you start doing heavy singles, if at all, before your meet?

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think hes planning on doing his first men’s physique competition, right Hyde?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What I'd like to know is why there's still 3/4 of it left
Rome wasn’t built in a day - not pictured is a family size box of bagel bites

Sorry if I missed this but what weight are you planning on competing in?

Also, when do you start doing heavy singles, if at all, before your meet?
First time ever at 275 w/ sleeves. I won’t fill the class out by far, but I see no reason to cut either.

28 days out this cycle, since I’m a little crunched for time. Max out everything one lift per day that week, next week is same but 90% of those lifts, following is 80%, then a complete deload week where I do the big 3 at 60% 6 days out from the meet.

I think hes planning on doing his first men’s physique competition, right Hyde?
I thought it was bikini?
IMG_3705.JPG

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Cool, thanks for shearing. I been thinking about competing, it would be fun, but feel I need to get my lifts up more.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
First time ever at 275 w/ sleeves. I won’t fill the class out by far, but I see no reason to cut either.
MY MAN - you know i support this message.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cool, thanks for shearing. I been thinking about competing, it would be fun, but feel I need to get my lifts up more.
Just compete! You get to call all of your attempts in powerlifting; if you miss it’s only because you called too heavy. It’s not like strongman where the implement weight is set and you need to be strong enough to lift it.

Go have fun, talk to people, see what it’s about. You don’t want to train forever “trying to get strong enough” only to find you hate powerlifting! Most local meets have people doing their first meet there, and most people are happy to answer questions and help you through.

I've been helping him with his posing routineView attachment 194596
This was really funny!

MY MAN - you know i support this message.
Unless the cut is honestly easy for me (<13lbs) or I am in a position to total Elite, it just doesn’t make sense.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah, you’re right about having fun, but if I’m not winning I’m not having fun 😬

I should check out the local meets and see where the lifts are at at my weight. My strongest lift is bench and I did 380 last week at 230 bw, I’m not sure I’m competitive with that.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, you’re right about having fun, but if I’m not winning I’m not having fun

I should check out the local meets and see where the lifts are at at my weight. My strongest lift is bench and I did 380 last week at 230 bw, I’m not sure I’m competitive with that.
Assuming that was a press that adhered to comp rules you’re absolutely competitive at local meets with a 380 bench in the 220 or 242 class. Will you win Nats - nah, but you absolutely could win your weight class at a local meet. Obviously this is largely depending on what your other lifts are which are much more important for a big total and thus your final placing.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dbl

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, you’re right about having fun, but if I’m not winning I’m not having fun

Whether you win or lose will be almost entirely determined by who shows up that day, unless you’re one of the very top guys in a weightclass in the world. Go to openpowerlifting.org and look at some of the numbers for men - 238 guys have benched 500lbs in comp weighing in under 220. But at a local meet, 380lbs is definitely above average for 220 class. Sometimes you are the only lifter in your class even.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/08/20 - Day 36, Wk4 Squat
BW 261.2

Band Rear Delts, Pecs, Lats
Agile 8

Distance Jumps in yard
3x3

Squat
45,135,225x3
+Rehband sleeves
315,365x2
+belt
415x1
+Cerberus sleeves
445 4x2, 1x8 RPE9 PR

Frontsquat, beltless
45,135,225x1
265x2
295 3x3

Lifetime best, with more in the tank. Estimated 1RM today was nearly 570.

IMG_3708.JPG

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
PR city in here. Session after session. Love to see it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What numbers are you shooting for
Whatever my peaking numbers dictate. Whatever I successfully squat and pull in the gym 3-4 weeks out will be multiplied by 1.04 for my third meet attempts, and whatever I bench by 1.025. Then those numbers will be slightly adjusted on meet day based on the kilo options I have available and how the previous attempts felt.

All the work I’m doing now is essentially building muscle specific to the big 3, practicing their technical execution, and acquiring fatigue. Then I will test without deloading, then shed fatigue as both my intensity and volume tapers down towards the meet in a deloading fashion. Sessions essentially become practice and the goal is to have shed most of the fatigue debt by the meet while still being as technically prepared as possible to handle the big weights.

Basically you make yourself feel like **** and then keep doing less and less until you feel alright, then compete.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Whatever my peaking numbers dictate. Whatever I successfully squat and pull in the gym 3-4 weeks out will be multiplied by 1.04 for my third meet attempts, and whatever I bench by 1.025. Then those numbers will be slightly adjusted on meet day based on the kilo options I have available and how the previous attempts felt.

All the work I’m doing now is essentially building muscle specific to the big 3, practicing their technical execution, and acquiring fatigue. Then I will test without deloading, then shed fatigue as both my intensity and volume tapers down towards the meet in a deloading fashion. Sessions essentially become practice and the goal is to have shed most of the fatigue debt by the meet while still being as technically prepared as possible to handle the big weights.

Basically you make yourself feel like **** and then keep doing less and less until you feel alright, then compete.
That sounds confusing lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/10/20 - Day 38, Wk4 2nd Press
BW 259.2

Bike 7 min
Monster Miniband Tri Pressdown
2x25/arm overhand
Band Lats, Pecs, Rear Delts

Widegrip Bench
45,95,145x15
185x25, 12 had to shut it down

Right pec has been bugging me a little for weeks now. Boomsticked it day prior but felt no adhesions to release and it hasn’t felt tight. Got it nice and warm and used the jigsaw on it before 25-rep sets but got a pain that told me “NO!” halfway through the second set and had to rack it. Even close grip felt painful after so shut it all down. Bummer because I was feeling very strong and definitely going to hit 2x25 for a PR, & this was my last Widegrip session anyway, but oh well.

No bruising this morning and I have been able to use full function and ROM with zero discomfort unless I flex the pec hard. Just going to rest it up and hope regular grip feels alright Monday. Will probably come in an additional finger width from regular grip as well.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That sounds confusing lol
Train train train, then suddenly max out all lifts 100% in gym over a week. Next week do 90% of those lifts. Then 80% the 3rd week. 4th week is meet week, and you basically hit all 3 movements at 60% for a few reps like 6 days before the meet, then pure rest. Then your meet attempts are 90,97, & 104% of your 100% numbers in training.

#formulaforsuccess

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Train train train, then suddenly max out all lifts 100% in gym over a week. Next week do 90% of those lifts. Then 80% the 3rd week. 4th week is meet week, and you basically hit all 3 movements at 60% for a few reps like 6 days before the meet, then pure rest. Then your meet attempts are 90,97, & 104% of your 100% numbers in training.

#formulaforsuccess
Awesome, that was way simpler to understand for me.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So even after the initial week on cycle where I had already gained like 8lbs, I have since gained 11.5lbs MORE muscle and dropped 3% bodyfat according to the InBody scanner at Complete Nutrition in town.

Guy working the shop was same as a month ago at the first test and when he was looking at my new numbers he was like “Holy **** man you put over 2lbs lean mass on each arm and leg and trunk it says in 4 weeks while getting leaner”.

I was like, “Yep, everything is right on track.”

IMG_3717.JPG

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/12/20 - Day 40, Wk5 Deadlift
BW 261.6

BB Skullcrushers
45,65,85,95,95x12

DB Rear Delt Flyes
15,20,25,30x12

Agile 8

20” Box Jumps
2x5

Deadlift, powerbar
135,225x1
over under, alternating every rep
315,365,415x2
alternating every set
455, 465 2x3
485 2x1
500x1

3” Blockpulls
450 2x3

3” Sumo Blockpulls w/ straps
450 2x3

Made up a couple important bench accessories while getting warmed up. Dropped one of my blockpull triples to turn my last floor triple into slightly heavier singles since this is my last practice before maxing out next deadlift session. 500 was just as fast as 455 and grip felt fine on everything.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Right on, just curious. Wish I could still pull mixed for heavy. Works best while simultaneously destroying me lol.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You pulling conv or sumo for the comp? I know you’ve always been a conv puller in comp settings but you have previously mentioned trying sumo out.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You pulling conv or sumo for the comp? I know you’ve always been a conv puller in comp settings but you have previously mentioned trying sumo out.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What was it doing to you? If you can hook, I would say that’s ideal though.
It’s easily my strongest grip. Longevity wise though it always ends up aggravating my bis and I have to **** it down. I’ve tried alternating the open hand and same effect. My arms just don’t like rotating that direction under load.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Conventional since I’ll be using over/under. I NEED to hookgrip to pull sumo effectively, and I haven’t been doing any of my floor work sumo either. I definitely think I could pull sumo down the road. If my calluses tore bad or I had some issue on my 2nd pull I could throw a Hail Mary and pull hook/sumo for a third like Chuck V. My thumbs are guaranteed to shred completely, but I could likely grit through it.

It’s easily my strongest grip. Longevity wise though it always ends up aggravating my bis and I have to **** it down. I’ve tried alternating the open hand and same effect. My arms just don’t like rotating that direction under load.
You seem to be having no issues. At 6’ your hands are likely big enough as well, so I would keep doing what you are doing. I literally tear my thumb skin almost every session.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/15/20 - Day 43, Wk5 Bench
BW 263.0

Band Tris, Bis, Lats
Monster Mini Swede Pullaparts
2x15
DB Hammercurls
20 2x30
Squat 30 sec hold
Push-ups
2x10
Ball Slams
2x5

Bench
45,95x8
135x5
185,225x3
250,275x2 shut it down

BB Rows
135,185,225x12
250,265,275x8

Average Band Pulldowns
2x15

Yoke Pull-ups

Pec wasn’t ready to push yet so decided to live to die another day. Had to lower and press 275 in slow motion and still was feeling warning signs. Good news is it’s only been 6 days and there’s 9 more before I’m supposed to work up to a paused max so I will likely be able to push harder then. And I feel better now than when I had to bail 6 days ago.

Pushed my barbell row to make the best of a bad situation! Hasn’t felt this strong in a minute.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/17/20 - Day 45, Wk5 Squat
BW 262.0

Agile 8
Box Jumps 3x3
Cable Facepulls

Squat
45,45,135,225x3
315x2
385,415x1
+belt & Cerberus sleeves
450 4x2, 1x10 35lb PR

Beltless Frontsquat
135,225x2
275x1
300 3x3

Estimated 1RM on squat was 598.5 today. I have put 40lbs on my 10RM since the last meet prep. I’m ready to max next week!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Pumped to see where your pre-peak max puts you man. Loving the gainz youve made on the squat! Now get that pec back up to speed and lay something nasty down on the platform.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pumped to see where your pre-peak max puts you man. Loving the gainz youve made on the squat! Now get that pec back up to speed and lay something nasty down on the platform.
I’m sure hoping so! Tomorrow would be a speed bench session but I probably won’t even try that. Just flush the upper body and maybe do some accessories based on what feels alright.

What’s crazy is 8 weeks ago the prospect of squatting 405x1 was honestly daunting. I knew I could do it but I doubt there was much beyond that.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m sure hoping so! Tomorrow would be a speed bench session but I probably won’t even try that. Just flush the upper body and maybe do some accessories based on what feels alright.

What’s crazy is 8 weeks ago the prospect of squatting 405x1 was honestly daunting. I knew I could do it but I doubt there was much beyond that.
I second the squat stoke! Soooo, have you ever tried mega dosing cissus? I did for the first time last week and feel like a damn teenager again (in terms of connective tissue). You will sweat like a whore but feel some sweet relief. Even after the first day. I was told it works great as a fat incinerator as well.
I had a wicked ache in my rotator cuff, all gone now. Serious man, shtuff works.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I second the squat stoke! Soooo, have you ever tried mega dosing cissus? I did for the first time last week and feel like a damn teenager again (in terms of connective tissue). You will sweat like a whore but feel some sweet relief. Even after the first day. I was told it works great as a fat incinerator as well.
I had a wicked ache in my rotator cuff, all gone now. Serious man, shtuff works.
How many mg is “mega dosing”?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Titrate until you start shitting pure cissus

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I have. There’s some old niggles mainly in the left knee from some dumbass squat 5x a week program I did when I was like 21. Because the Bulgarians were champions. And their best trained like dumbf*cks because their coaches didn’t understand how to program, so they just expended bodies and the handful that didn’t die in a few years set some records.

So of course, I needed to try that

Sleeves & mobility work keep things happy enough. Cissus has some great effects on blood sugar and metabolic health I believe. I just remember gagging down spoonfuls of Nutraplanet’s bulk. Like a foul woody dirt tea lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
06/19/20 - Day 47, Wk1 Speed Bench
BW 261.0

Jumping Jacks
x25
Agile 8

Cable Facepulls
50 4x25

ss w/

One-Arm Cable Tri Ext
30 2x25/arm overhand, then underhand

BB Skullcrushers
45,80x15
95 2x15 PR

Bench
45,45,65x20

Back Extensions
BW 3x20

Today officially begins the peaking mesocycle, aka Death March. Supposed to be speed bench but just focused on mobility, accessories and flushing the pec - which did NOT hurt on the skulls like last time or when I pressed the empty bar explosively, which is awesome news to test next Wednesday.

Last day of 30mg Rad140. Tomorrow begins M1A at 45mg til the meet!

IMG_3732.JPG

Momma said I could grow up to be anything I really wanted, so I became a ghostly elemental samurai