humalog before workouts?

• Thread starter ryanbodybuilder
  • Start date

ryanbodybuilder

Awards
  • Established
Ok I just started at 2iu of humalog this past friday, and went up too 4iu on saturday......i am taking it before my workout and downing 50g of whey in water with it, then drinking a full serving of celltech during my workout and then 50g of whey in water after.....do any of you guys think this is bad? I think its better for me since I am training about 6pm at night..and would rather take my dose then, than at 7pm...

ryanbodybuilder

Awards
  • Established
ok i am going to stop this preworkout nonsense..and only use it postworkout!

soma

soma

Awards
  • Established
What made decide to stop shooting pre-workout? Hypo? Just curious- cuz i only use post workout.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
haven't used it, but from what i hear/read, preworkout is not a good idea.

ryanbodybuilder

Awards
  • Established
i stopped because gurus told me its a bad idea! didnt go hypo! i cant wait to train tonite and use humalog after...to see what i have been missing!

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Using it preworkout is feasible. You just have to account for the drop in blood glucose due to exercise.

Lifting weights doesnt burn that much glucose relative to intense cardio. For a 45-60 min session of weights I just take 1 iu less with my lower GI starchy carb meal and Im good to go.

Ultimately you have to decide on the risk/rewards. If you are going to do it, work up to a recipe that works and then stick to it.

jediclampet

Awards
Don't most who use slin before, sip on a whey/dextrose shake during the WO?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Dunno what most do... Personally I think dextrose/maltodextrin is garbage - junk food, empty calories.

You can do small, frequent, high GI hits, one larger low GI meal or anything in between. As long as the rate of carb absorption meets or exceeds the effect of insulin over its active duration you won't go hypo.

soma

soma

Awards
  • Established
Nitrox - are the pre-workout effects much greater than the post-workout effects? - talking about the muscle gains.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Nitrox - are the pre-workout effects much greater than the post-workout effects? - talking about the muscle gains.
Couldn't tell you. I have to take the stuff with every carb meal (6x/day) so I have never done an A/B comparison.

I'm inclined to think that it would be about the same effectiveness. However since muscle growth/repair takes place more or less continuously we could make the argument that using insulin anytime of the day would be just as effective.

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
Post workout your muscles are completely completed of glycogen, so when you take your insulin+protein&carbs, all the nutrients are shuttled into the muscle.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Post workout your muscles are completely completed of glycogen, so when you take your insulin+protein&carbs, all the nutrients are shuttled into the muscle.
I'm assuming you meant to say depleted.

Firstly, will all exercise exhaust all glycogen stores? It has already been established that the lower the exercise intensity level the less percentage of glycogen is used. When I think of total depletion I think of the mid or long distance runner that collapses before the finish line.

Secondly, this implies that muscle has an unlimited storage capacity. It is accepted that exercise reduces insulin resistance (by increasing GLUT 4 activity). Therefore an argument could be made that post workout is the least beneficial time to take exogenous insulin for stimulating lean tissue anabolism.

Hypothetically speaking, say post workout insulin becomes 20% more effective. Then you can consume 20% more to cover the energy expenditure and not need to push insulin levels higher to metabolise the added intake. Driving insulin higher than this to increase (any) anabolism requires added food (carbs) to maintain blood glucose homeostatis. So if this practice is beneficial post workout, why would it not be as beneficial for every meal? After all the body grows/repairs continuously, not just post WO. IMO the post-WO window concept receives a disproportionate amount of focus versus the rest of the day.

I realize I am going against gospel here but given that science still does not completely understand nutrient metabolism, gospel is what it really is. Arguments both pro and con will largely be speculative.

The theory that seems more plausible to me is that different people have different levels of insulin output. Endo body types have a higher level while ecto's have a lower amount. This could explain the variety of results that some get while using exo insulin - some build lots of muscle while some build lots of fat. If this is the case then ectos could find multiple doses/day (ie pre workout) effective. While mesos and endo may not find it beneficial until they build enough muscle (naturally or not) where their natural output can no longer keep up with the required nutrient intake (ie pro BBs).

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
basically because you want to start the recovery anabolic process as soon as possible and not delay it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IGF-1/GH 2
IGF-1/GH 0
mark118 IGF-1/GH 22
medicone Anabolics 1
IGF-1/GH 1