Unanswered How to Learn About Bodybuilding?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

Due to some huge work requirements and distance from the gym, I have not been able to exercise regularly in about two years.

I am totally de-trained and want to get back in shape. I know that in years past, I have been filled with misinformation from magazines, bad personal trainers, etc.

What websites, books, etc. would be good to re-inform myself about how to get back into shape and build a better body?

Books like Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" would be great.

What other bodybuilding books, conditioning books, etc.?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Check out mountaindogdiet.com

Some general things to keep in mind. Sleep is very important! Diet is most of the game, and training should be progressive. Start out slowly and don’t kill yourself the first week, just ease into it. Start to clean up your diet, cut out the sugar and add in more protein. Next would be to reduce or eliminate any fried or greasy foods. And drink water! That alone with sufficient protein should yield some great results. For training focus on compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, bent over barbell rows, lunges, pull ups, dips, also throw in some hanging leg lifts)You may even want to try 3x a week full body until you are back in full motion.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Check out mountaindogdiet.com

Some general things to keep in mind. Sleep is very important! Diet is most of the game, and training should be progressive. Start out slowly and don’t kill yourself the first week, just ease into it. Start to clean up your diet, cut out the sugar and add in more protein. Next would be to reduce or eliminate any fried or greasy foods. And drink water! That alone with sufficient protein should yield some great results. For training focus on compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, bent over barbell rows, lunges, pull ups, dips, also throw in some hanging leg lifts)You may even want to try 3x a week full body until you are back in full motion.
Great advice here! Only thing I disagree with is fried/greasy foods but I’m Keto so a bit biased there.

Another big thing that changed the game in my training was allowing myself a minimum of 2 full minutes rest between sets on my heavy compounds. Has made my workouts take a bit longer but I have seen significantly faster strength gains by making that change.

I am also a firm believer that breads and similar grains should be removed from your diet for inflammation. White rice and potatoes are great if you’re going to eat carbs! You won’t find many proponents on this forum, but I am gaining faster than ever on Keto and the mental benefits have been astounding so if that interests you at all be sure to do some research.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Eric Helms:

Renaissance Periodization (any depending on what you want to learn):