How to get back into powerlifting after losing motivation?

icrackaboy

Awards
Hey everyone. Im not sure if this matters but my current maxes are, bench 245, squat 505, and deadlift 615. After going the past 3 months I've gained next to nothing in terms of strength. I wake up and don't feel motivated to go at all anymore. Is there anything I can do to fix this? And no I am not on anabolics of any kind.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What changed in your mindset 3 months ago? Work, school, relationship, family, spiritual, or even your diet could all be effecting your overall wellness. Reflect and figure out what your doing and where you want to end up. If your not sure, where do you not want to end up? Make the gameplan from there with small goals and end of the month goals. The end of the year is right around the corner as well but plenty of room for growth!

icrackaboy

Awards
What changed in your mindset 3 months ago? Work, school, relationship, family, spiritual, or even your diet could all be effecting your overall wellness. Reflect and figure out what your doing and where you want to end up. If your not sure, where do you not want to end up? Make the gameplan from there with small goals and end of the month goals. The end of the year is right around the corner as well but plenty of room for growth!
I've been stressed over work and college. My job is really active and I've been stressed as **** not eating much at all maybe only 3,000 calories a day. It's hard to make a game plan of any kind when I would go so much and see no results at all. Ever since I stopped lifting my knees and Achilles tendon have been hurting. Is there a reason for that or is it just work labor related?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Start tracing the ABCs in the air with your toes daily, do the alphabet forward and backward - that’s one of the best stretches my buddy used to come back from an Achilles tear this past year. Knees is likely from muscles tightening up, or perhaps hamstrings weakening if enough time off has passed.

You need to find some training that excites you - the best method is the one you will execute faithfully and with true intent. Your bench is poverty compared to your lower body lifts, and it sounds like you may be a little beat down - if it interests you, consider a 3 day/wk bench specialization routine. This likely pulls back on your overall training workload & time in gym for now, lets you improve your biggest weakness, & is something different. Example:

Tuesday
ME Bench

Thursday
ME Deadlift, DE Squat (rotating efforts weekly)

Saturday
DE/RE Bench

This is just an example, but also consider part of why you aren’t getting stronger is that you aren’t eating enough to fuel your training! There’s no one size fits all for calories, but the fact you brought it up means you know you’re coming up short. Food is your power & your energy. Without food and sleep you will just spin your wheels.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is just an example, but also consider part of why you aren’t getting stronger is that you aren’t eating enough to fuel your training! There’s no one size fits all for calories, but the fact you brought it up means you know you’re coming up short. Food is your power & your energy. Without food and sleep you will just spin your wheels.
I’m co-signing this.

icrackaboy

Awards
Start tracing the ABCs in the air with your toes daily, do the alphabet forward and backward - that’s one of the best stretches my buddy used to come back from an Achilles tear this past year. Knees is likely from muscles tightening up, or perhaps hamstrings weakening if enough time off has passed

Tuesday
ME Bench

Thursday
ME Deadlift, DE Squat (rotating efforts weekly)

Saturday
DE/RE Bench

Thank you for the Achilles tendon tip i will definitely try it! I know my bench sucks compared to my lower body i was ashamed to post it but I did anyway. What does RE mean in the saturday example you gave me? By the way I tried going to the gym at night today and I had a good time

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thank you for the Achilles tendon tip i will definitely try it! I know my bench sucks compared to my lower body i was ashamed to post it but I did anyway. What does RE mean in the saturday example you gave me? By the way I tried going to the gym at night today and I had a good time
I’m not hating btw; I have deadlifter’s arms and have worked very hard for my paltry pressing power as well. Best meet was 518/336/628 in 242 sleeves weighing 235 to give you some comparison if it’s helpful at all. Don’t be ashamed - just use that knowledge to create a plan to attack your weakness!

RE stands for repetition effort; i.e. hypertrophy work. ME is max effort, DE dynamic. Sorry if that was confusing.

icrackaboy

Awards
I’m not hating btw; I have deadlifter’s arms and have worked very hard for my paltry pressing power as well. Best meet was 518/336/628 in 242 sleeves weighing 235 to give you some comparison if it’s helpful at all. Don’t be ashamed - just use that knowledge to create a plan to attack your weakness!

RE stands for repetition effort; i.e. hypertrophy work. ME is max effort, DE dynamic. Sorry if that was confusing.
Yeah I understand I have deadlifters arms as well. Thanks for explaining what the terms meant I enjoyed attacking upper body yesterday I like it more than lower body but I just never see much progress on my bench and shoulder press so I guess I'll just focus on my bench more than before.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
Stress will bring on physical pain in common areas like the knees. Self care is parmount at this time. For me it starts with the basics...lots of small meals...planned relaxation...listening to music etc. You got this brother and we are here to support you.

icrackaboy

Awards
Stress will bring on physical pain in common areas like the knees. Self care is parmount at this time. For me it starts with the basics...lots of small meals...planned relaxation...listening to music etc. You got this brother and we are here to support you.
Thank you. This new job at this warehouse is pretty physical so im not sure if the constant climbing in and out of trucks and lifting of boxes and other stuff is causing my joints to hurt also.