How scared are we of soy products?

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So through the years I've heard (like everyone) about the pro-estrogen tendencies of soy. How much truth is there to this? I ask because I have had some gyno issues in the distant past so I've always steered clear of soy, tea tree oils, lavender etc.

This new Silk Ultra nut milk has 20g of protein and doesn't taste that bad either. I grabbed a jug before realizing "plant protein" = soy protein.

Would you continue using it for the 20g, or steer clear?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would not drink it. But, I do like using soy sauce for asian foods.

Cnation

Awards
Nothing wrong with it. Probably wouldn’t use it as my main source of protein. But on the side it’s alright

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Good feedback boys, mostly what I assumed which is why I bought it in the first place. Its not that bad, flavor wise.

Coriandru

Awards
  • First Up Vote
i so this :
The Facts They Don't Want You To Hear About Soy Protein

Monday, 31 October 2011 13:24:43 Europe/London

So what is the problem with Soy Protein?

Quite simply, soy toxins. Soy beans contain a number of naturally occurring toxins that are both toxic to humans and animals. Soy protein contains even more toxins. During the chemical manufacturing process extra toxins develop including residues of one of the chemicals (Hexane) used to extract the protein. So what are the main soy toxins?

Trypsin inhibitors

This is perhaps the worst culprit. It is literally unbelievable that sports nutrition companies are happy to use soy protein with trypsin inhibitors as one its components.

Trypsin inhibitors, as the name suggests, inhibit the action of your digestive systems trypsin and protease enzymes. These are two essential enzymes responsible for digesting protein. Yes you read correctly. They inhibit protein digestion. To add Soy Protein to a protein powder or weight gainer contradicts logic? It gets worse; monkeys were fed a diet based on soy concentrate and subsequently developed chronic pancreatitis, a condition that leaves the pancreas susceptible to pancreatic cancer.

Phytates

These have the ability to chelate minerals which means they are able to bind to minerals in the digestive system. Unfortunately the process is quite specific to essential minerals such as zinc, calcium, copper, manganese and iron. Sports people in particular have higher requirements for certain minerals, especially zinc & iron, so adding soy protein is totally counter intuitive.

If you are a male wanting to optimise testosterone levels, forget soy.

If you want to build and maintain a lean physique soy protein could hamper your results. Unfortunately soy protein has recently been scientifically proven to lower testosterone levels in men by 19%. It’s hard enough to maintain peak levels of testosterone whilst training hard, so once again the use of soy seems confounding.

Is soy protein in your protein powder?

It is an established fact that whey protein is unmatched for building muscle so why would supplement companies use soy protein in their products? Given the arguments above, the only obvious reason is a financial one. If you make a protein powder with whey protein and combine it with soy protein the potential increase in profits can be substantial. Great for the company, but potentially not so great for athletes trying to optimise their dietary regime.

Soy protein is an inferior protein compared to whey, egg and milk protein.

If lowering testosterone and interfering with the digestion of protein digestion wasn’t bad enough, soy protein also has a lower biological value compared to whey, milk and egg proteins giving even more reason to avoid it's use. Listed below are the biological values of whey, egg, milk and soy. The biological value is a measure that shows the amount of protein utilised by the body. In simple terms the higher the score the better the protein.

Whey Protein 104

Milk Protein 88

Egg White Protein 85

Soy Protein 75

The other reason that whey, milk and egg proteins are superior to soy protein is the higher content of branch chain amino acids. Whey protein has the highest content of branch chain amino acids of any food. Branch chain amino acids (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine) are scientifically proven to boost protein synthesis aiding the formation of lean muscle tissue. They are by far the most important amino acids for athletes.

Coriandru

Awards
  • First Up Vote
if is any posibility to remove the toxins from soy or to destroy them probably it is a good protein . regarding soy protein i started a new post today , because i am looking for a good vegan protein powder

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
How scared are we of soy proteins?

Very, since I'm anaphylactically allergic to them :ROFLMAO:

On a serious note for those that aren't, I wouldn't throw it away. I'd finish drinking what you have but I wouldn't get it again.

Oh, and I hate Silk because their other types of milk products also have cross contamination warnings for soy. So for anyone allergic to soy like me, pick a different brand for Almond Milk, etc.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i just read the article ,very helpful , i must search about the process that make protein isolate if it really destroys the bad toxins
It's not that it's destroying them. When you 'isolate' a protein, instead of 'concentrating' it, you have a more pure protein. With whey, isolate has less sugar, fat, calories, and microfractions than whey concentrate; you have more amino acids per gram than with a concentrate. The same goes for a SPI: you simply have more amino acids per gram, less room for anything else.

Keep in mind that 'more pure' isn't necessarily superior: in the case of whey, the microfractions removed in creating a whey isolate are actually highly beneficial, making cheaper whey concentrates a superior choice (unless you REALLY can't handle the extra 20cals per scoop in your diet); with a soy protein isolate, potentially negative components are removed during manufacturing, making it superior to a soy protein concentrate.

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've had that, and it tastes good. Then I saw all the soy in it.

NEVA AGAIN.

baoschunny

Awards
Don't worry about soy affecting your hormone levels. I've been vegan for almost a year now, and recently got a random check on my hormone levels. TT: 36 nmol/L; E2: 52 ng/L.
I consume around 200g of protein a day, mostly from soy products.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Don't worry about soy affecting your hormone levels. I've been vegan for almost a year now, and recently got a random check on my hormone levels. TT: 36 nmol/L; E2: 52 ng/L.
thats good feedback thanks.

Coriandru

Awards
  • First Up Vote
and you have progress in the gym ? i heard that the factories are using solvent HEXANE do do soy protein isolate ...toxic .

baoschunny

Awards
and you have progress in the gym ? i heard that the factories are using solvent HEXANE do do soy protein isolate ...toxic .
I'm not exactly sure how hexane affects anything. Research might show us one thing, while reality differs extremely.
You probably know the benefits of a clean plant based diet on athleticism, but vegan muscle building is the champ of controversy.
For me personally, I barely have any soreness, so I could up my training to heavy lifts every day. Power-wise, I'm almost 1 year into lifting and my stats are: 22M, 78kg, 178cm, +-15%bf; +52,5kg weighted ring dips, +47,5kg weighted ring pullups.

You have to take a few things into consideration: 1. For most of my lifting journey (8ish months), I've been in a 1000-500cal caloric deficit. My first bulk just began and we'll see how it goes.
2. You might think my numbers are quite good for the time trained, but the plant based diet might be just a correlation, since I'm well aware my natural test is high.

If you're in doubt, there's no shame in trying to train for 6 months on mostly soy protein, and then quitting if you didn't like the experience

Coriandru

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I'm not exactly sure how hexane affects anything. Research might show us one thing, while reality differs extremely.
You probably know the benefits of a clean plant based diet on athleticism, but vegan muscle building is the champ of controversy.
For me personally, I barely have any soreness, so I could up my training to heavy lifts every day. Power-wise, I'm almost 1 year into lifting and my stats are: 22M, 78kg, 178cm, +-15%bf; +52,5kg weighted ring dips, +47,5kg weighted ring pullups.

You have to take a few things into consideration: 1. For most of my lifting journey (8ish months), I've been in a 1000-500cal caloric deficit. My first bulk just began and we'll see how it goes.
2. You might think my numbers are quite good for the time trained, but the plant based diet might be just a correlation, since I'm well aware my natural test is high.

If you're in doubt, there's no shame in trying to train for 6 months on mostly soy protein, and then quitting if you didn't like the experience
i am happy that you are ok , i have ocd and i try to avoid anythink who can affect my digestion , i was on soy products a while ago maybe 12 years i am thinking that because of soy i had a micronutrient deficience who was a factor that developed my ocd
when i am cooking soy and eat i have pain in the liver area , or maybe is the pancreas ... shortly after that . i wish to drink soy protein because i think the taste is better than any other vegan protein but i am afraid of the soy because ... hexane , enzimes inhibitory effects , about estrogen side effects i think is nothing serious .

baoschunny

Awards
i am happy that you are ok , i have ocd and i try to avoid anythink who can affect my digestion , i was on soy products a while ago maybe 12 years i am thinking that because of soy i had a micronutrient deficience who was a factor that developed my ocd
when i am cooking soy and eat i have pain in the liver area , or maybe is the pancreas ... shortly after that . i wish to drink soy protein because i think the taste is better than any other vegan protein but i am afraid of the soy because ... hexane , enzimes inhibitory effects , about estrogen side effects i think is nothing serious .
I see. You might be a special case. First of all, don't worry about any hormonal effects, inhibitory effects or micronutrient deficiencies. The last one might have been solved with an extra supplement (check your blood!). I'm guessing you have a soy allergy, but we can't be sure without a doctor checking it. If you really want to eat fully plant based, then a blend of rice and pea protein will be your best bet. Good luck!

Coriandru

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I see. You might be a special case. First of all, don't worry about any hormonal effects, inhibitory effects or micronutrient deficiencies. The last one might have been solved with an extra supplement (check your blood!). I'm guessing you have a soy allergy, but we can't be sure without a doctor checking it. If you really want to eat fully plant based, then a blend of rice and pea protein will be your best bet. Good luck!
thank you !