How many people here, have or use a Personal Trainer ?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just Curious ?

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
nah thought about it long time ago but with this forum + youtube is all i need.

save that $ for protein + supplements :)

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
With the gym in his basement, 40 years or training, and his supplement stash Rocket could definitely have a side gig setup as a trainer 🤔🤔🤔🤔

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've trained a few people, but never could afford something like that on my carpenters wages.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've trained a few ppl but for general fitness type lifting, not bodybuilding. Ive strength trained and done diets for a couple fighters too. I have quite a few friends that train bodybuilders and I have them pick apart my diet and training from time to time. I do have a trainer when I'm boxing tho and I was the training partner for a bodybuilding coach on and off. They alway make me look bad tho lol.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've trained a few people, but never could afford something like that on my carpenters wages.
Move to New York. Union carpenter rate is $55hr, more in certain parts of the state. I live in Connecticut and if I do a job in NY they gotta pay $55 PLUS $100 a day perdiem

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Move to New York. Union carpenter rate is $55hr, more in certain parts of the state. I live in Connecticut and if I do a job in NY they gotta pay $55 PLUS $100 a day perdiem
I'm far too old to start doing union work, and further I don't really support unions. and it may sound like a lot... but isn't rent like 4k a month there? no TY ;)

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
With the gym in his basement, 40 years or training, and his supplement stash Rocket could definitely have a side gig setup as a trainer 🤔🤔🤔🤔
haha he opening up a gym + supplement smoothie bar in his basement

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm far too old to start doing union work, and further I don't really support unions. and it may sound like a lot... but isn't rent like 4k a month there? no TY ;)
Depends where you live in NY, some places rent is normal and other places it's ridiculous

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm a loner !

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used a trainer for two sessions once a long time ago because it came free with the commercial membership. I didn’t learn anything, but I could see their usefulness for someone who doesn’t know where to start, or if learning technical tools for powerlifting or such.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
u looking pretty nutzz in that avi 😲
It's from a few months back when I rebounded out of a starvation diet. Not really starvation but I was over dieted. It was definitely one of my better looks. I just got over being sick and not working out for a couple weeks. Il be back there in no time tho!

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Never understood the need for personal trainers. I am one of those guys who used to be obsessed with bodybuilding. Would read as much as possible, try out different routines, work out what worked best for me and throw away what didn't. Same with diet.

I understand if you can't be bothered reading up or you just aren't obsessed per se but simply want to look better the a personal trainer for a few weeks could point you in the right direction but I don't get why some people keep the trainer for year upon year. What are you learning in year two that you didn't already know. If you didn't get great results in yera one then sack the trainer anyway.

I'm talking general people wanting to get in shape here not competitive bodybuilders who need to meticulously keep track of macros and drug protocols etc.

I also think that in some circles, especially women that having a personal trainer is like a "cool accessory" to have. Going for a coffee morning with your cleeky friends and being all like "I have to run ladies I have my personal trainer at 12"

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Never understood the need for personal trainers. I am one of those guys who used to be obsessed with bodybuilding. Would read as much as possible, try out different routines, work out what worked best for me and throw away what didn't. Same with diet.

I understand if you can't be bothered reading up or you just aren't obsessed per se but simply want to look better the a personal trainer for a few weeks could point you in the right direction but I don't get why some people keep the trainer for year upon year. What are you learning in year two that you didn't already know. If you didn't get great results in yera one then sack the trainer anyway.

I'm talking general people wanting to get in shape here not competitive bodybuilders who need to meticulously keep track of macros and drug protocols etc.

I also think that in some circles, especially women that having a personal trainer is like a "cool accessory" to have. Going for a coffee morning with your cleeky friends and being all like "I have to run ladies I have my personal trainer at 12"

This pretty sums up my thoughts also, I would bet in the 80's I read cover to cover hundreds if not a thousand body building magazines. Now I'm thinking..............Flex, Muscle & Fitness, Shape, Muscle Media 2000, Ironman, MuscleMag International, Parrillo Performance Press, Women's Physique World (My Favorite), Muscle Builder, Muscular Develepment (I Still Get)

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

It really depends on your goals, a personal trainer can mean a lot of different things. The few ppl I trained were new to working out. Once I showed them how to do exercises properly and how to structure there workouts and put real effort in I because useless to them unless they just had money to burn and wanted someone to push them. In that aspect most of us dont need a trainer.

But there's other things a trainer can do. I'd bet that the majority of this message board can't bench 315 or deadlift 500lbs. A personal trainer that's a stretch coach could be very useful to those ppl if they had a goal to accomplish those numbers.

And once you can push heavy weight like that it's inevitable that as you start to rep those numbers your going to build more muscle.

Maybe you want to to get into bodybuilding but you have weak legs and you can't make progress. Well they can teach you how to bring up your legs.

Things are based on needs. If I'm really good at math I don't need a math tutor but someone else might benifit from a tutor temporarily to pass a big test.

I have a few friends that are good trainers that have taught me how to properly engage my lats and it's helping me bring up my back.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This pretty sums up my thoughts also, I would bet in the 80's I read cover to cover hundreds if not a thousand body building magazines. Now I'm thinking..............Flex, Muscle & Fitness, Shape, Muscle Media 2000, Ironman, MuscleMag International, Parrillo Performance Press, Women's Physique World (My Favorite), Muscle Builder, Muscular Develepment (I Still Get)
I have probably 150mags like that over the years, but most of the bodybuilders from those magazine
We grew up with them, they were called "Muscle Magazines"...
Ya but all the workouts in the magazines weren't real. They were made up by some random 150lb. Writer. Dorian Yates, Kevin levrone and many other pros from back in the day said every time a article came out that talked about there diets and training itcwas completely made up. Even sometimes there names were listed as the author when they weren't. I fell for it just like all the rest of you did because I probably have 200 of those magazines sitting at my house. I think I have every MD magizine and iron man from 2005 to 2015

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have probably 150mags like that over the years, but most of the bodybuilders from those magazine
Ya but all the workouts in the magazines weren't real. They were made up by some random 150lb. Writer. Dorian Yates, Kevin levrone and many other pros from back in the day said every time a article came out that talked about there diets and training itcwas completely made up. Even sometimes there names were listed as the author when they weren't. I fell for it just like all the rest of you did because I probably have 200 of those magazines sitting at my house. I think I have every MD magizine and iron man from 2005 to 2015
I remember doing this “Branch Warren Arm Day” from MD when I was younger - it was just heavy 5x5 for 3-4 different exercises each for bis & tris

My preacher curl was probably stronger than ever then though!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I remember doing this “Branch Warren Arm Day” from MD when I was younger - it was just heavy 5x5 for 3-4 different exercises each for bis & tris

My preacher curl was probably stronger than ever then though!
I think when I go home tonight I'm gonna go through some of those magazine and take pictures of all the workouts and make a whole thread with all the old workouts lol. Some of them are outrageous and then some of them are just playing ridiculous

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think when I go home tonight I'm gonna go through some of those magazine and take pictures of all the workouts and make a whole thread with all the old workouts lol. Some of them are outrageous and then some of them are just playing ridiculous
I like that idea

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Keep them coming !!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Big Lou, one of my favorites!!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Big Lou, one of my favorites!!
I have a crate in my attic loaded with these so IL pull a few out when I get caught chance. I have one that the whole magazine was a special training edition somewhere, its probably got 20 workouts in it. I gotta find that one and the arnold training special

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was cleaning out the attic a few years ago and throw out 10-15 boxes of Muscle Mags and Car Mags (Except the ones I was in)

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The best trainers were out of my price range. I did some sessions before to critique lifts that were valuable, but could not afford full time.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The best trainers were out of my price range. I did some sessions before to critique lifts that were valuable, but could not afford full time.
There not cheap, especially if you have a trainer that's doing yiur diet and training. There going to be regularly in touch with you, monitoring things and making adjustments on a weekly basis. I don't really consider myself a trainer but in the limited experience I have training a couple ppl and doing diets, sometimes I've spent 4 hours a day 2x week on one person. So 8 hours a week on that one person. If your training 5 ppl that would be a 40hr work week. Say yiu charge 300 a month for training, 300x5 people is $1500÷by 4 weeks 375 a week. $375÷40hrs=$9.37/hr

So even with 10 clients and handling 2 clients per day yiur still only making $18/HR

My only point is when it comes to getting a trainer, we usually can't afford them because they have to charge a good chunk to make it worthwhile for themselves, or they need a ton of clients and then there clients don't get the attention they need

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No personal trainer from a standard gym, but my oldest daughter goes to a strength and conditioning gym, which are increasingly popular here for sports specific training, and I actually used services there. They focus on injury prevention and mobility as top priority and despite 30+ years of training, I realized I might not be up on the latest science and movements for staying competitive in my late 40s- I still race mtn bikes, train MJJ, and will join pretty much anything someone asks me to.

It was helpful and I spent a lot of time on explosive movements and and a lot of plyometrics as well as more focus on positioning and form. I never realized I use my strength to overcome some areas of weakness in that area and it was pointed out. Apparently it is common for people that are strong and are used to throwing weight around to be able to compensate in other areas (which is one reason being strong in older years is so important), but it eventually obviously increases risk of injury.

Anyway- learned quite a bit and now I pay a lot more attention on stretching, movement, and proper warm up from that outcome. As others have mentioned though, specialization is not cheap and you will pay for it.

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I didn’t read all the replies but with everything you want to get better in you need a coach/trainer, it’s a reason all the top athletes have one for an example.

If you’re serious about getting bigger, better and stronger, get a coach/trainer.

Edit, I’m talking about a real coach/trainer now, not some average commercial gym PT.

Last edited:
L

lamarclark09

Awards
I thought about it a long time ago but couldn't affort at that time. I still can’t lol.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think the average gym rat can make out very good with a dedicated training partner

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s a worthwhile experience for every person. Just find a coach/trainer that can come up with a plan to help you reach your goals.

As athletes from newbs to pros there’s coaches and trainers. Everyone on this forum would reject the idea of being a general population gym goer. The reality is that none of us are paid to workout lol. We are what we are. I think everyone would benefit from a trainer time to time.