How many meals vs. shakes?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I wanted to take a poll to see how many meals vs. Shakes/bars you take in to meat your goals?

Me I usually have about 2 shakes a day and 2-3 food meals.

I work crazy hours early mornings and late nights so it's tough sometime what about you guys?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
It depends on my schedule but I usually get 3 meals and 2 shakes. I can get 4-5 meals on weekends but not during the work week.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
It depends on my schedule but I usually get 3 meals and 2 shakes. I can get 4-5 meals on weekends but not during the work week.
What does ya 3 meals consist of?
And are u using meal replacement shakes or gainers or just whey protein shakes

Bagged01

Awards
  • Established
Weekdays about 3 shakes and 3 meals
Weekends is sometimes the same if not more shakes and bars because I'm either at the beach or out and about and really can't get a good meal in.

During my work week I do the following
330am pre workout toast and bananas
6am shake post workout
8-9 meal
11-12 shake and bar or fruits
2-3 meal
5-6 meal
Before bed around 8-9 shake

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Weekdays about 3 shakes and 3 meals
Weekends is sometimes the same if not more shakes and bars because I'm either at the beach or out and about and really can't get a good meal in.

During my work week I do the following
330am pre workout toast and bananas
6am shake post workout
8-9 meal
11-12 shake and bar or fruits
2-3 meal
5-6 meal
Before bed around 8-9 shake
What are eating for your meals typically? Are they larger or on the smaller side?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Real men eat their meals, not drink them :D. I usually get 5/day mainly some turkey burgers, egg whites, boiled eggs, tender loin, fruit, chicken sandwiches, sweet potato's etc. A lot of whole foods are easily made to be portable if you just think about it. Throw in a couple sandwiches, some boiled eggs, yogurt and a couple pieces of fruit or sweet potato's into a thermacooler and you set.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
anything is possible with only a lil preparation... whole foods beat out shakes any day....

on a reg day all I have is one shake immediately post workout only for the nutritional value and ability to provide my muscles with instant protein for muscle building from whey...

Only other time I will incorporate a second shake is when it turns into a full blown 2000 cal meal (breakfast) from additional oats, pb, banana, eggs and milk.... and is done only when bulking.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Real men eat their meals, not drink them :D. I usually get 5/day mainly some turkey burgers, egg whites, boiled eggs, tender loin, fruit, chicken sandwiches, sweet potato's etc. A lot of whole foods are easily made to be portable if you just think about it. Throw in a couple sandwiches, some boiled eggs, yogurt and a couple pieces of fruit or sweet potato's into a thermacooler and you set.
some good stuff right there.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'm gone from home 10 hours a day and I'm salesman so eating in front of someone just ain't going to happen :D I'm lucky to get in 3 meals :)

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm gone from home 10 hours a day and I'm salesman so eating in front of someone just ain't going to happen :D I'm lucky to get in 3 meals :)
You are in your car a lot. Perfect time to crack open the ol' thermo and grab a snack. If your boss is riding along with you, bring something for him too ;)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
You are in your car a lot. Perfect time to crack open the ol' thermo and grab a snack. If your boss is riding along with you, bring something for him too ;)
Boss hates me that's part of the reason why I can't do it lol. I work in a building though lol. You're right enough excuses I'm get it going with at least 1 extra meal at least some turkey and yogurt :)

The only thing I'm having trouble is I always forget the little meals... I'm thinking a meal is some meat and a carb or veggie when I guess I can be a fruit yogurt and cold cuts...

Maybe I need some small meal ideas.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Doesn't matter. Drink none, drink 5, whatever. Get your food in, day in and day out, for years on end.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Doesn't matter. Drink none, drink 5, whatever. Get your food in, day in and day out, for years on end.
Thanks Frank....
Saying it doesn't matter if it's liquid or something I'm chewing on?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks Frank....
Saying it doesn't matter if it's liquid or something I'm chewing on?
I am saying do whatever you have to do, in your life, to get in your calories/macros, etc. If you can eat all your food in whole food great, if you need to consume 2-3 shakes then do it. Everyone is different in how they can handle food prep, eating the same ****, etc. You are better off getting your calories in, consistently, then missing a meal, or three a week for one reason or another.

If you are one of the people who subscribes to having to eat 6-7 meals a day, doing that consistently year, after year, can be tiresome when dealing with eating the same foods. If you have to break it up with shakes, so be it.

If you make an effort to never have 2 shake meals back to back, that will give you a good blend of whole food/supplemental protein.

Myself, since I follow an IF diet, I use protein as more of a "treat". I may end a whole food meal with a little sludge, etc. Works for me.

Tboz

Banned
Awards
I usually have between 2-3 shakes a day and about 4-5 meals typical day looks like this while working 3pm-11pm

11am shake and package and 1/2 oatmeal
130 post workout shake
200 meal usually burger and mac+chs
430 meal protein bar or pbj and yougurt and gatorade
730 meal chickensandwhich fries
1130 meal eggs or leftover
1am either shake or some kind of snack/meal

Bagged01

Awards
  • Established
What are eating for your meals typically? Are they larger or on the smaller side?
typically i will eat 8-10oz chicken or 3-6oz pork tenderloin, sweet potatoes or yams, or brown rice, there not big yet not small
im bulking right now so i tend to eat everything in sight

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wanted to take a poll to see how many meals vs. Shakes/bars you take in to meat your goals?

Me I usually have about 2 shakes a day and 2-3 food meals.

I work crazy hours early mornings and late nights so it's tough sometime what about you guys?
At most I take in 1 shake in the day instead of whole food. I do always take a shake post-workout, be it after cardio or after lifting (it only has protein and creatine in it). So maybe I technically take in 2 a day, but the consensus is whey is the best thing to take in PWO.

I always noticed a difference in my physique over say 3 months if I ate whole foods vs. shakes, and it wasn't until some explanations by Dr. Houser that there was science to back up what I saw in the real world. He says there are various signaling pathways and molecules released in the process of chewing foods that help upregulate protein intake/synthesis after eating, and by drinking shakes instead of eating (chewing) whole foods you may be missing out on this bit of help.

So, I make the extra effort and cook my stuff the night before, for instance. Also, I have no idea if Kroger brand cottage cheese has ephedrine/yohimbine/anabolics in it or what, but that stuff makes me look so much better than chicken does - I swear I'm probably never gonna go on a chicken-only diet. F that.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Nice thx for the suggestions guys.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am saying do whatever you have to do, in your life, to get in your calories/macros, etc. If you can eat all your food in whole food great, if you need to consume 2-3 shakes then do it. Everyone is different in how they can handle food prep, eating the same ****, etc. You are better off getting your calories in, consistently, then missing a meal, or three a week for one reason or another.

If you are one of the people who subscribes to having to eat 6-7 meals a day, doing that consistently year, after year, can be tiresome when dealing with eating the same foods. If you have to break it up with shakes, so be it.

If you make an effort to never have 2 shake meals back to back, that will give you a good blend of whole food/supplemental protein.

Myself, since I follow an IF diet, I use protein as more of a "treat". I may end a whole food meal with a little sludge, etc. Works for me.
Despite what I said in my post, getting in the bare minimum is priority number 1. Agreed!

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I always noticed a difference in my physique over say 3 months if I ate whole foods vs. shakes, and it wasn't until some explanations by Dr. Houser that there was science to back up what I saw in the real world. He says there are various signaling pathways and molecules released in the process of chewing foods that help upregulate protein intake/synthesis after eating, and by drinking shakes instead of eating (chewing) whole foods you may be missing out on this bit of help.
The thing is this. Protein shakes are PROTEIN. If you are getting your fats, and carbs from whole foods(typically easier, more sustainable), you are doing PLENTY of chewing.

If you get even 50% of your protein from a high quality powder, you still have the other 50% which is chewed, as well as all your carb/fat.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The thing is this. Protein shakes are PROTEIN. If you are getting your fats, and carbs from whole foods(typically easier, more sustainable), you are doing PLENTY of chewing.

If you get even 50% of your protein from a high quality powder, you still have the other 50% which is chewed, as well as all your carb/fat.
Yeah, but I doubt half the guys consuming shakes instead of chickens are also downing nuts and half a cup of broc. And I dont presume to know the biochemistry of eating enough to pass judgment on how it would work out doing a 50/50 split. I do know that it's better for me to eat a chicken breast and 2 cottage cheese tubs over 3 protein shakes over a period of 3 months. But as I said, the jury is still out on whether that cottage cheese is spiked =p

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I do know that it's better for me to eat a chicken breast and 2 cottage cheese tubs over 3 protein shakes over a period of 3 months. But as I said, the jury is still out on whether that cottage cheese is spiked =p
I don't buy it brah! I lol All variables kept 100% the same I don't see it happening. But I can't dispute your findings, as it is certainly your opinion on your own results which you are entitled to.