How long before muscle loss?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My training has been slim to nill the last 5 weeks. Think i have managed 2 very quick sessions

We're moving home and then the xmas period and new year period was upon us. So training was completely put to the side. I am planning on getting back to my routine but we're looking mid January.

I still eat my usual diet which is high protein based so diet hasn't suffered (Well apart from xmas day.. But who doesn't :D)

My weight hasn't really fluctuated to much tbh but looking at my physique i can notice a change. Also the placebo affect won't be helping!

I know as soon as i get to training as i was my previous look/mass etc will return. I have a good physique so even small changes are noticeable (10% ish bodyfat)

Is muscle loss even a worry? I don't have stimulus but my nutrition hasn't suffered for my body to break muscle down tbh. Be different if i wasn't training but also in a calorie deficit which i know i am not.

I suppose the break will also be a benefit for my joints and central nervous system.

So would you worry about any loss? I have worked hard to get to where i am. I was very overweight bmi was 32. Now i have trimmed down to 10% bodyfat and put on some good mass. So you do let your mind run when you do take a break etc.

Thanks

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
IMG_9720.jpg

I’ve been sick two weeks and bed ridden for over a week.

Your question has a lot of variables
The decay rate of muscle tissue can be managed, I try to eat the healthiest I can while I’m being treated to preserve as much as I can

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Um, weird flex.

To OP, wouldn’t worry about it. If it’s measurable it’s minute. Just resume normal training when you can.

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
Um, weird flex.

To OP, wouldn’t worry about it. If it’s measurable it’s minute. Just resume normal training when you can.
It’s a picture of me in a hospital bed taken as I eat by my girlfriend

It pertains specifically to muscle loss as in my current condition I clearly can’t workout....

If you want me to flex, I’m probably still bigger than you.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh, you thought stating that you were bed ridden and couldn’t train didn’t suffice. The picture really reinforced it.

Cool, you can “flex” and still be bigger than me, again.. weird flex. But, hey you’re the bigger guy here lol Have a good one bud

Last edited:
AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
Oh, you thought stating that you were bed ridden and couldn’t train didn’t suffice. The picture really reinforced it.

Cool, you can “flex” and still be bigger than me, again.. weird flex. But, hey you’re this bigger guy here lol you win the forum for the day. Have a good one bud
I really don’t understand...
The question by OP concerns how long you can go without training

I’m showing I’m in the hospital hooked to
Monitors and with IV sticking out of me... I’m not concerned with muscle wasting because well I’m doing everything in my personal control to minimize the damage

In the hospital I’m making the healthiest food choices I can, which will In turn create a more optimal muscle preserving environment than if I were eating pasta and whatever junk and honey buns they serve

You see, muscle wasting away does occur but we can blunt or offset that effect by doing a lot of small things that slow that process down

So how long can he take a break ?
It depends
Is your beak due to what?
What are you putting in your body during that break?
Are you doing what you can during your gym break to optimize recovery and preserve muscle growth and health or are you bashing beers and honey buns ?

Details tiger

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
:cautious:

As far as OP, I wouldn't stress it and even if you could measure it, what would that change? Just get back when you can and chalk it up to a "deload".

You'll probably look a bit smaller but it will be mostly mental and possibly a slight decrease in fullness, but it'll pop right back up. I could post studies, but I don't think it is worth worrying about.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
:cautious:

As far as OP, I wouldn't stress it and even if you could measure it, what would that change? Just get back when you can and chalk it up to a "deload".

You'll probably look a bit smaller but it will be mostly mental and possibly a slight decrease in fullness, but it'll pop right back up. I could post studies, but I don't think it is worth worrying about.
Exactly. ...Setbacks and comebacks are all part of the game ☯

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I really don’t understand...
The question by OP concerns how long you can go without training

I’m showing I’m in the hospital hooked to
Monitors and with IV sticking out of me... I’m not concerned with muscle wasting because well I’m doing everything in my personal control to minimize the damage

In the hospital I’m making the healthiest food choices I can, which will In turn create a more optimal muscle preserving environment than if I were eating pasta and whatever junk and honey buns they serve

You see, muscle wasting away does occur but we can blunt or offset that effect by doing a lot of small things that slow that process down

So how long can he take a break ?
It depends
Is your beak due to what?
What are you putting in your body during that break?
Are you doing what you can during your gym break to optimize recovery and preserve muscle growth and health or are you bashing beers and honey buns ?

Details tiger
Last time I was in the hospital breakfast was eggs and grits, and lunch and dinner were chicken or turkey and rice. And they gave me milk protein shakes with HMB too. Couldn’t complain about that part of my stay.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cheers guys.

Seems it's mostly a mental game? I would say i have lost "size" but like mentioned could just be fullness. Same effect if you take a break from creatine.

My weight hasn't budged much mind and that was even after the xmas period. I eat a decent diet so nutrition wise isn't an issue... Just lack of stimulus. It's the winter here anyway (Scotland) the body won't be out for atleast another 4 months anyhow lol

I should be back training mid to end of January. Will just see how it goes. Strength will be down guaranteed but that won't take long to sort itself back out.

Thanks guys

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
Last time I was in the hospital breakfast was eggs and grits, and lunch and dinner were chicken or turkey and rice. And they gave me milk protein shakes with HMB too. Couldn’t complain about that part of my stay.
Amen!
During my stay I had to request those menu changes but they had the food to accommodate

The staff even gave me extra portions after I talked to them about my goals and whatnot they were very understanding

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cheers guys.

Seems it's mostly a mental game? I would say i have lost "size" but like mentioned could just be fullness. Same effect if you take a break from creatine.

My weight hasn't budged much mind and that was even after the xmas period. I eat a decent diet so nutrition wise isn't an issue... Just lack of stimulus. It's the winter here anyway (Scotland) the body won't be out for atleast another 4 months anyhow lol

I should be back training mid to end of January. Will just see how it goes. Strength will be down guaranteed but that won't take long to sort itself back out.

Thanks guys
Yes, much of it is a mental game. I get itchy and pent up when I don't get physical activity for 3-4 days and it messes with my perception of my fitness levels and what I see in the mirror. I've been at it for 27 years with a very rare 1+ week layoff, so I can only imagine how you feel, but it is completely normal.

Once you get back in and start to feel the stimulus and see the pump, you will be right back in it.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Amen!
During my stay I had to request those menu changes but they had the food to accommodate

The staff even gave me extra portions after I talked to them about my goals and whatnot they were very understanding
You based in Britain? Just wondered if this was NHS based?

A lot of people criticise our health service in Britain but they have zero clue on how lucky we actually are! Free health treatment and they complain on waiting times etc? And.... Just like you mentioned they will accomodate your any extra needs ie food changes etc.

I would happily pay more tax from my wages to sustain our NHS. I honestly don't know how the NHS does manage to keep going as the costs must be insane..... Billions

Bit off topic lol

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You based in Britain? Just wondered if this was NHS based?

A lot of people criticise our health service in Britain but they have zero clue on how lucky we actually are! Free health treatment and they complain on waiting times etc? And.... Just like you mentioned they will accomodate your any extra needs ie food changes etc.

I would happily pay more tax from my wages to sustain our NHS. I honestly don't know how the NHS does manage to keep going as the costs must be insane..... Billions

Bit off topic lol
I could have sworn he said he lives in South Florida. And so do I. I don’t claim to be an expert on Britain’s healthcare system, but long wait times can be a huge deal for some conditions, so it’s hardly a trivial thing to complain about at times.

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
I could have sworn he said he lives in South Florida. And so do I. I don’t claim to be an expert on Britain’s healthcare system, but long wait times can be a huge deal for some conditions, so it’s hardly a trivial thing to complain about at times.
The British healthcare system is similar to the Dutch. Long waits can happen but not for stuff that is urgent. But it keeps healthcare affordable.

Now live in Thailand insurance is expensive but doable. But think universal healthcare is the way to go IMHO.

Having said that if your rich private healthcare might be better.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Amen!

Hope you're doing better now! Sad that you can't post a picture without somebody getting upset about it lol.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My training has been slim to nill the last 5 weeks. Think i have managed 2 very quick sessions

We're moving home and then the xmas period and new year period was upon us. So training was completely put to the side. I am planning on getting back to my routine but we're looking mid January.

I still eat my usual diet which is high protein based so diet hasn't suffered (Well apart from xmas day.. But who doesn't :D)

My weight hasn't really fluctuated to much tbh but looking at my physique i can notice a change. Also the placebo affect won't be helping!

I know as soon as i get to training as i was my previous look/mass etc will return. I have a good physique so even small changes are noticeable (10% ish bodyfat)

Is muscle loss even a worry? I don't have stimulus but my nutrition hasn't suffered for my body to break muscle down tbh. Be different if i wasn't training but also in a calorie deficit which i know i am not.

I suppose the break will also be a benefit for my joints and central nervous system.

So would you worry about any loss? I have worked hard to get to where i am. I was very overweight bmi was 32. Now i have trimmed down to 10% bodyfat and put on some good mass. So you do let your mind run when you do take a break etc.

Thanks
How old are you? I've noticed that's been a big factor for me over the years.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I had a period of like 2 or 3 years without any solid training and a subpar diet, booze and occasional painkillers, started with some broken ankles, then when they got better did some damage to my shoulders, then got depressed and drank a lot, obviously I was off all gear at this time as well. Over thus time I went from 215 with visible abs to 190ish with barely visible abs. But it took a good 2+ years for this to happen. Just a steady decline till I ended up right about where I was before my first cycle. So I wouldn't worry about short term layoffs. About 12 months ago I started training hard again and put 6-8 lbs back on really fast, then 9 months ago got back on testosterone and put another 10 lbs back on. Not as good as I was before but in about a year I'd say I gains back 80% of what I lost and most of it came in the first 6 months.