How in the world do places like GNC stay in business?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Neither. I would say a majority of GNC's customers have absolutely no interest in lifting or sports nutrition products. Every store is different, but the ones I've been to have much larger sections of general health/nutritional products compared to the "get jakked now, brah" section. I also worked at GNC for just over a year (across two stores) during college, and overall sports nutrition sales were nowhere near sales of the much less exciting vitamin/mineral/general health products. FWIW.
Right...It's called GENERAL Nutrition Center for a reason.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Where I live there are two major malls less than a mile from each other. Both have GNC within them. A lot of south Americans where I live and they know nothing better than too buy at these stores. Every time I walk by GNC the place is crawling with them. All buying all the BS the skinny dude behind the counter tells them to buy. That or the 60 year old lady telling them how they can get swole by buying an 80$ tub of protein. Ive walked in there to look at their clearance table which doesnt even have good prices so I do not know why I bother. GNC and LA fitness go hand in hand. Skinny guys telling you what to buy, fat out of shape guys training people. Fitness has become so commercialized that people don't know wtf they are doing.

StanleyG

StanleyG

Awards
GNC has been the gateway for many to enter into sports supplement use. I dont see that as a bad thing. People start there and as their interest expands the educate themselves and start to shop around. Not a bad thing. That or they buy vitamins and protein powder only, they are ok with paying GNC prices, and they stay there. Who cares. To each their own. The biggest annoyance with GNC is the lack of education the employees have but like most places you get the caliber of employee you pay for so........

jdhaltom83

jdhaltom83

Awards
infinitepower GNC once again isn't just about bodybuilding...I don't know why people act as if that's all the sell...they have herbs, vitamins etc for health period...just because they r skinny don't mean they don't have knowledge on what the products r there for...I guess it about to hit the stage soon as well?

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
jdhaltom83 not saying its all about bodybuilding but too many people like to pretend that they know what they are talking about. Back in the day when prohormones where legal I had these people selling them to at 14 years of age. Pretty irresponsible to sell to a kid who doesnt know any better. Thats where these kind of people cause damage.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
First of all Im not talking about someone who doesn't lift and only goes to the gym to feel better and improve their health. Im talking about guys who claim they "Lift" , and say how "Serious" they want to be, and they don't even know what pre-workout powder is, but then taking anavar. WTF is that ****? Cmon guys, you seriously cannot take sides with people like that.
Why are you comparing a pwo to anavar? So if I don't know what Nitroflex GAT but I know what tren is, then you won't take me seriously?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But really, who cares?. If you don't like GNC, simply don't shop at GNC. Well, either that or go online, sign up for a fitness forum and start a thread complaining about GNC and how you hate them and people that shop at their store. All throughout the thread imply that you are better than them because you are a member of Anabolicminds and you know more about supplements then them. After all you just signed up this month....

jdhaltom83

jdhaltom83

Awards
infinitepower but who does hiring at 14 though I know GNC and most places period don't...but just like any retailer there's always someone who lacks knowledge but they are interested in learning maybe not but that's why they don't last either...but skinny people or old people doesn't mean they don't know what a herb does and what it's used for and so on....and some of these old people could of been athletes and age just caught up with them and they find ways to give their knowledge

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
@jdhaltom I meant they were selling prohormones to me at age 14. I agree with you guys I do. You guys have valid points and Im not knocking em down because they are old or skinny, im just pointing out that they shouldnt give advice without knowing because it can be a problem down the road.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First of all Im not talking about someone who doesn't lift and only goes to the gym to feel better and improve their health. Im talking about guys who claim they "Lift" , and say how "Serious" they want to be, and they don't even know what pre-workout powder is, but then taking anavar. WTF is that ****? Cmon guys, you seriously cannot take sides with people like that.
Well I'm sure there are some people who claim to lift, and can probably lift twice the amount you do and have never heard of Anabeta Elite. I don't think supplement knowledge is a requirement to be serious about lifting. I workout at a powerlifting gym and none of them bother using supplements other than caffeine and creatine and they're way bigger/stronger than me.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
@jdhaltom I meant they were selling prohormones to me at age 14. I agree with you guys I do. You guys have valid points and Im not knocking em down because they are old or skinny, im just pointing out that they shouldnt give advice without knowing because it can be a problem down the road.
Oh ok yeah I agree
Thank you both for being mature, reasonable adults while resolving your disagreement. Sometimes that's a breath of fresh air!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I'm sure there are some people who claim to lift, and can probably lift twice the amount you do and have never heard of Anabeta Elite. I don't think supplement knowledge is a requirement to be serious about lifting. I workout at a powerlifting gym and none of them bother using supplements other than caffeine and creatine and they're way bigger/stronger than me.
Come on, no supplements?. That's just crazy talk, you can't get huge without taking insect steroids and plants and stuff!.

*Disclaimer- This was meant to be a sarcastic post. I was not meaning to offend any sensitive Sallys or Nancy boys.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Woody, GAT is the number one selling PWO on Amazon.com

People know about it.
I just checked Amazon, its not the #1 best seller.

Naturo Nitro preworkout is. Not sure where you are getting your information from

And as BRUstrong has stated, some people don't take supps at all.

I generally don't take a pre workout.

If my funds allow, I use HV or Ergonine. Not a stimulated pre workout. If I need energy, I take a nap, have sex, or drink coffee.

Lately, my pwo has been creatine, TMG, Beta Alanine, and whatever bulk pump product (cit. malate, agmantine, etc.) is on sale, mixed with either water or black coffee.

Edit, does that mean I don't even lift brahhhhh?

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
LMAO you guys are funny. HAHA to each their own. I get your point guys. :)

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
GNC has been the gateway for many to enter into sports supplement use. I dont see that as a bad thing. People start there and as their interest expands the educate themselves and start to shop around. Not a bad thing. That or they buy vitamins and protein powder only, they are ok with paying GNC prices, and they stay there. Who cares. To each their own. The biggest annoyance with GNC is the lack of education the employees have but like most places you get the caliber of employee you pay for so........
Well said. When I first started lifting I used to shop at GNC cause I didn't know about bodybuilding.com. Once I found out about bodybuilding.com, I kept shopping at GNC. Then I started browsing bodybuilding.com's forums and read Vitamin Shoppe had lower prices. Then I started shopping there for about a half a year. Then one day , I went on bodybuilding.com and placed my first order. Then I found out about other supplement warehouses and started ordering from them as well. Then you have me here today and a member of this forum who is planning on giving the sponsors here some business and buying through them. Which I have already done.

So yes I understand why someone would go to GNC, but what I don't understand is why they would continue to go if they know they can buy from other businesses that have a better selection of products at lower costs.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
all I have to say is haha @ GNC prices. lol Jiigzz T-Bone Quads_of_Stee

**Hopefully you got that GNC "GOLD" membership doe** lol
I live in NZ. Zero GNC's around.

My point was do with who peoples goals lol

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Well said. When I first started lifting I used to shop at GNC cause I didn't know about bodybuilding.com. Once I found out about bodybuilding.com, I kept shopping at GNC. Then I started browsing bodybuilding.com's forums and read Vitamin Shoppe had lower prices. Then I started shopping there for about a half a year. Then one day , I went on bodybuilding.com and placed my first order. Then I found out about other supplement warehouses and started ordering from them as well. Then you have me here today and a member of this forum who is planning on giving the sponsors here some business and buying through them. Which I have already done.

So yes I understand why someone would go to GNC, but what I don't understand is why they would continue to go if they know they can buy from other businesses that have a better selection of products at lower costs.
The problem here is that GNC is a brick and mortar facility that you are comparing to an online one. Overheads and much lower for an e business than a brick and mortar one and some people love going into a shop and being able to see everything up close and walk out with it

jdhaltom83

jdhaltom83

Awards
Yeah im too impatient I can't wait for something to come to my mailbox I rather just go to the store and pick it up....

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah im too impatient I can't wait for something to come to my mailbox I rather just go to the store and pick it up....
I'm the opposite and shop exclusively online - but I know a lot of people similar and prefer going in somewhere

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm the opposite and shop exclusively online - but I know a lot of people similar and prefer going in somewhere
I'm almost exclusively online, plan out my stacks and such so everything's here when I need it. I might run to VS and grab some protein from time to time, but they carry select so that's a bonus!

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established

I understand what you are saying. You know the value of a dollar and choose to spend your money wisely. What I don't understand is why it bothers you so much that other people decide to spend their own money differently and choose to supplement differently, or not at all. You're not losing money by others shopping at GNC. You're not losing any gainz by others not taking any supplements. We can all co-exist in the world...and, more importantly, in the gym.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Well guess what? I pay standard shipping online and it arrives the next day around noon. Since I live so close to the warehouse. Why would I shop at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well guess what? I pay standard shipping online and it arrives the next day around noon. Since I live so close to the warehouse. Why would I shop at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe?
How many people live near a ware house tho?

jdhaltom83

jdhaltom83

Awards
Well ur right lol u don't need to go there soooo what's the debate on that one, I wouldn't argue that...if a warehouse has it cheaper and more than likely they will then go straight to them...I would probably just pick up vitamins, probiotics, fish oil and herbs that's about it

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Thank you both for being mature, reasonable adults while resolving your disagreement. Sometimes that's a breath of fresh air!
And the end of the day we are all entitled to our opinions and can speak with each other civilly. People forget how to do this nowadays. Thanks BRUstrong

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would imagine you can ask this question about a lot of things
Why shop at Best Buy when you can Amazon/Newegg it.

Why look for a girlfriend in a bar when you can use eharmony/match.com.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Woody thats true. Where I live there are so many options as far as supplements go but the only place you can find supps from BLR or SNS for that matter are online so for certain products I have no choice but to shop online

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
And the end of the day we are all entitled to our opinions and can speak with each other civilly. People forget how to do this nowadays. Thanks BRUstrong
You are very welcome, sir. See guys, us lawyers aren't all bad after all!

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are very welcome, sir. See guys, us lawyers aren't all bad after all!
Good luck getting anyone else to believe that. We are soul sucking greedy pigs. Its an unfair rep, really.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Lawyers are awesome! always there when you need them!