How effective are they?

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m genuinely curious as to how effective any AAS are. How much more do you get out of it, what’s your new ceiling for training and nutrition?

Also why is it touted don’t do them under 21? The majority of bodybuilders were juicing in their teens and here are people saying don’t. Especially after taking them your DNA is permanently altered putting you above any one who hasn’t juiced.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’ll answer in reverse order bro

1) why not under 21 (personally I’d say 25 - unless one is aiming to compete)

Basically because at that age most of the gains you can make on aas can also be made naturally with the right diet and training. Doesn’t matter what you take the body can only create new lean mass so quickly and at that age (for 99% anyway) the natural hormone balance you have would allow for most of that muscle building to occur. The other reason is that very few people under 21 (note - not all and I know there will be exceptions) have the right displine or training experience to get the most out of aas.

If your going to mess with you natural hormones you want to maximise the benefits and minimise the negatives, the younger you are the more chance that won’t happen and you get kids creating long term health issues (needing trt in their 20’s for example) for less than optimal gains.

2) what difference does it make

Depends on genetics and the stuff above (diet/training etc). But a big difference if those things are on point imo. I’ve only run orals to date but I’m 36 and had basically plateau’d (well progress was very slow anyway) for a year. I’m a qualified PT and lost 140lbs 5 years ago so whilst I’m always learning I’m also pretty confident I had a pretty decent handle on training and diet.

Basically over 2 cycles (I.e around 9 months) I added over 24lbs lean mass (bf is slightly lower), back squat is up 60lbs, bench up 55lbs and deadlift up 90lbs

I have no idea where the ceiling is, I’m going to pin test for my next cycle but I’ll eat right, train hard and based on previous experience expect to make more lean gains.

I’m glad I waited till I had the experience to do it right but I don’t regret running anabolics at all - allowing me to do things I simply couldn’t do natty

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is NOT true - AAS do not alter your DNA at any level.
You mean steroids don’t make you a mutant? There goes my plan to become an X-Man. I mean, I guess that’d technically make me a mutate, not a mutant according to Marvel’s definitions, but whatever.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think he may have confused altering DNA with altering muscle fiber characteristics (increased fiber size and number of myonuclei per fiber), which AAS can do even long after cessation of use.