How do you stay motivated?

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’ve been feeling a lot like screw it lately but want to continue on going. Ive been training for 5 years and want to compete. It’s just lately I’m so demotivated. I work 60 hours a week and in my spare time i just want to relax but when I’m relaxing I feel like **** and feel like I should be training or working on my own ventures. How do you all stay slaying day in and day out?

zunteck

zunteck

Awards
Say prayer for some strength to get yo lazy azz up!!!

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It’s purely up to you if you go. There is really nothing we can tell you that will help you stay motivated.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I try to just stay focused on the goal. Off days/weeks happen. Part of life sometimes. I work a very similar work schedule. Takes a lot out of me. I’m not always as consistent as I want to be. I tend to go through periods of highs and lows, where work is a bit easier and training is better and vice versa. Key is if you get off track, don’t be too discouraged about it and get back on the plan as soon as you can. Can’t waste time worrying about what you didn’t do yesterday. You can only control right now. I basically just focus on doing the best I can on a given day/week. Not always consistent 100%, but that’s life for ya.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
hot chicks at da gym doing one arm bent over rows :aargh:

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
You cannot stay motivated for ever. Discipline is what is left after motivation is over

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It’s definitely a lot of discipline over the motivation...I wake up well before everyone in my house to get it done and out of the way! Less time for excuses or conflicts! Plenty of times where I am literally praying for the strength and energy to get it done!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ve been feeling a lot like screw it lately but want to continue on going. Ive been training for 5 years and want to compete. It’s just lately I’m so demotivated. I work 60 hours a week and in my spare time i just want to relax but when I’m relaxing I feel like **** and feel like I should be training or working on my own ventures. How do you all stay slaying day in and day out?
Totally get it. Life gets in the way, that's real. I go through periods of time where I'm more motivated than others. For me usually I get amped up with renewed focus this time of year (as I used to go to the Arnold almost every year). I wane towards the end of the year. But find something that keeps you going, IG (goal physiques), forum help (accountability), logging, etc. That keeps you consistent and focused on what your goal long term is. As others said, it's more the consistency and discipline that last to get you through times of lower motivation. It'll come back.

I always feel guilty too when I miss my planned workout, but also I just feel lazy if I've skipped the gym for more than 2 days, even when it's a forced rest.

Supremeone

Supremeone

Awards
Sometimes when I start to not be motivated I start doing 3 weeks on one week off. I train hard 3 weeks then I take a total week off and by the time that week is over my mind and body starts missing the training on it's own. Sometimes you have to give yourself a break mentally and physically! I ran that for 6 months I really believe I was able to put on more muscle with the off time!

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not to sound like a jerk, but If you want to compete, You have to figure out your motivation out for yourself, because it will require doing a lot of cardio you don’t want to, a lot of dieting you don’t want to, intense training on minimal calories, etc. you should absolutely get a coach, but you need to figure out your motivation because doing all those things that will push your limits, your going to need a good reason for it, and none of use can help you with that.

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not to sound like a jerk, but If you want to compete, You have to figure out your motivation out for yourself, because it will require doing a lot of cardio you don’t want to, a lot of dieting you don’t want to, intense training on minimal calories, etc. you should absolutely get a coach, but you need to figure out your motivation because doing all those things that will push your limits, your going to need a good reason for it, and none of use can help you with that.
Amen, I hear you loud and clear. I will be probably looking into gettin a coach.

Darkheart

Darkheart

Awards
Motivation comes and goes for me as well, especially for those 4am workouts before my 10 hour day at work. Caffeine anyone?

Supremeone

Supremeone

Awards
Motivation comes and goes for me as well, especially for those 4am workouts before my 10 hour day at work. Caffeine anyone?
Dmaa--caffeine definitely! I'm liking this adrafinil I have right now keeps me going all day and focused. If I was able to get modafinil I would! Definitely worth a go for sure.

Darkheart

Darkheart

Awards
Dmaa--caffeine definitely! I'm liking this adrafinil I have right now keeps me going all day and focused. If I was able to get modafinil I would! Definitely worth a go for sure.
Adrafinil, actually haven't heard of it. Dynamine is the newest I've read about. I'll have to look that stuff up.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I go out and have fun now and again. Whether its out with some friends on a weekend or by myself at a bar. Being discplined is great, but you can overdo it, and some fun is necessary or you miss out on life.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I don't think it's a good idea to rely on being motivated or excited about training to get you to turn up for your workouts. That's what drives the new year resolution crowd that are at the gym all the time in January then by March they've disappeared.

Working out for me is just like brushing my teeth or wiping my arse. Just do it and don't think about it.

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’m going to say something different than anybody else here but I really think you should just try doing something different.
I am one of the few CrossFit people on this board and I would definitely say it keeps me going every single day. For the competition with others in my gym and the competition with myself. My ****tiest days are still days that I make an hour to come to the gym and get it out. Also nice part being that it’s only an hour.

It will get you in shape, motivate you, make you new friends, and if you’re single, get you some new strange.
Just my $0.02

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All the people that signed up for the gym in January are now gone. Only the regular hardcore show up.

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m going to say something different than anybody else here but I really think you should just try doing something different.
I am one of the few CrossFit people on this board and I would definitely say it keeps me going every single day. For the competition with others in my gym and the competition with myself. My ****tiest days are still days that I make an hour to come to the gym and get it out. Also nice part being that it’s only an hour.

It will get you in shape, motivate you, make you new friends, and if you’re single, get you some new strange.
Just my $0.02
I’ve disliked CrossFit for the longest time I don’t know that I could go into a CrossFit gym without being the biggest hypocrite lol I’ll think about that. I’m also thinking about a coach

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ve disliked CrossFit for the longest time I don’t know that I could go into a CrossFit gym without being the biggest hypocrite lol I’ll think about that. I’m also thinking about a coach
You wouldn’t be the first and you most certainly won’t be the last.

If you want, DM me and I can help you do some local research as to what gyms in your area are good and which are bad.

I’ve been doing it since 2010 and am in the best shape of my life.
I’ve met some of my best friends at my gym and when I don’t feel motivated, as we all do, they keep me going. Friendly competition everyday.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I see working out as a therapeutic endevaor rather some pursuit of aesthetics. So exercising is more of a journey rather than a limited venture with an end goal.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Just my $0.02
CrossFit can be good, or it can be terrible, depending on where you go snd your approach if it. If you view every workout as an actual competition to the point of sacrificing form for time/reps, then you’re setting yourself up for injury and not optimizing your progress, but if you push yourself just enough without sacrificing form, then it can be useful.

I’ll never do those kipping pull-ups though haha.

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
CrossFit can be good, or it can be terrible, depending on where you go snd your approach if it. If you view every workout as an actual competition to the point of sacrificing form for time/reps, then you’re setting yourself up for injury and not optimizing your progress, but if you push yourself just enough without sacrificing form, then it can be useful.

I’ll never do those kipping pull-ups though haha.
Facts. As with any gym where coaching is a focus. There are plenty of awful coaches at traditional gyms.

A good coach will be unwavering in form. You’ll hate them for it though lol.

The stigma against kipping is strong, but with balance they aren’t that bad. As long as strict doesn’t get ignored.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Facts. As with any gym where coaching is a focus. There are plenty of awful coaches at traditional gyms.

A good coach will be unwavering in form. You’ll hate them for it though lol.

The stigma against kipping is strong, but with balance they aren’t that bad. As long as strict doesn’t get ignored.
My point is if the ONLY pull-ups you do, or the majority even, are kipping pull-ups, you’re not really doing pull-ups. If they’re a part of some circuit or whatever you CrossFitters call it, that’s more tolerable, but strict pull-ups should still be the primary focus for actual lat work, along with some rows if you CrossFitters do them. I’d imagine not every workout is a circuit, and sometimes you’ll go in and do some straight sets of squats or pull-ups and stuff too?

I’d imagine I’m terrible at kipping pull-ups, since I always do strict weighted pull-ups with a fairly wide thumbless grip pulling apart on the bar to focus on lats and minimize bicep involvement. Definitely not ideal for maximum speed or momentum haha.

Darkheart

Darkheart

Awards
And the crossfit convo begins....although it did wonders for my brother in law.

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My point is if the ONLY pull-ups you do, or the majority even, are kipping pull-ups, you’re not really doing pull-ups. If they’re a part of some circuit or whatever you CrossFitters call it, that’s more tolerable, but strict pull-ups should still be the primary focus for actual lat work, along with some rows if you CrossFitters do them. I’d imagine not every workout is a circuit, and sometimes you’ll go in and do some straight sets of squats or pull-ups and stuff too?

I’d imagine I’m terrible at kipping pull-ups, since I always do strict weighted pull-ups with a fairly wide thumbless grip pulling apart on the bar to focus on lats and minimize bicep involvement. Definitely not ideal for maximum speed or momentum haha.
Agreement on all points.

Hahah very true but it gets better over time

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
And the crossfit convo begins....although it did wonders for my brother in law.
It works for sure. And it’s not like you’re stuck there for ever. Change up the game a little until you want to get back in the old gym. Variation is good for the soul some times.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agreement on all points.

Hahah very true but it gets better over time
But why would I want to get better at kipping pull-ups when I can add more weight to my weighted pull-ups. ;)

But yeah, CrossFit done right can be good, if not ideal for building muscle. It’s just it’s SO often not good haha.

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
But why would I want to get better at kipping pull-ups when I can add more weight to my weighted pull-ups. ;)

But yeah, CrossFit done right can be good, if not ideal for building muscle. It’s just it’s SO often not good haha.
In my opinion kipping pull-ups are as much pull up as a rowing machine is water rowing. Similar but still very different. Each with a different purpose, both good though at what they’re intended for.

And to be honest, I wish Crossfit spent more time doing pure strength. But there’s only so many hours in the day so it gets sacrifice more often than not.

It is, I know ??*♂ Trust me, I’ve been doing it for almost 10 years and there’s a lot of good and a lot of bad.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In my opinion kipping pull-ups are as much pull up as a rowing machine is water rowing. Similar but still very different. Each with a different purpose, both good though at what they’re intended for.

And to be honest, I wish Crossfit spent more time doing pure strength. But there’s only so many hours in the day so it gets sacrifice more often than not.

It is, I know ??*♂ Trust me, I’ve been doing it for almost 10 years and there’s a lot of good and a lot of bad.
And what person trying to primarily build muscle uses rowing machines as a core part of their workout? But yeah, we’re not in any real disagreement here.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For me, it worked out in my favor. Injuries and major work hours forced me to freeze my gym membership last September. By January, I was feeling better and work slowed down. I started back in the gym and feel awesome!
Sometimes, we just need a break. Mentally and physically.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You do it because it’s just who you are. Because subconsciously you desire a goal so seriously that you overlook all of the struggle and current discomfort, your own frequent disinterest even, for a goal that ultimately doesn’t mean anything to anyone other than you. Training is almost like practicing art, in that sense. Matt Vincent called it “The Hate”. Where your hatred of your current self, your own self loathing & desire for change, is greater than your desire to stay the same. So you train.

In a word, you must be driven.

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You do it because it’s just who you are. Because subconsciously you desire a goal so seriously that you overlook all of the struggle and current discomfort, your own frequent disinterest even, for a goal that ultimately doesn’t mean anything to anyone other than you. Training is almost like practicing art, in that sense. Matt Vincent called it “The Hate”. Where your hatred of your current self, your own self loathing & desire for change, is greater than your desire to stay the same. So you train.

I like this, thanks

zunteck

zunteck

Awards

Word!

Juggernaut AM

Juggernaut AM

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote

And it keeps you sane.