How do you guys start a workout after a lengthy layover?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For example if for some reason you haven't worked out at all for a week or two or perhaps even a month, the very first day you get back to gym, what do you like to do?
-Do you go back to your set routine prior to the break?
- Do you start off by doing your favorite body parts so as to get back into a training mindset?
-Do you do light circuit training or full-body training to get back into the flow?
-Do you go hard and heavy?
-Do you like to check your 1 rep max on major lifts for the first week of training etc?

For me personally, if I haven't had a chance for some reason to not work out for at least 3-5 days in a row, I like to start my first day back to workout by doing barbell snatches or db snatches and lift until I reach my 3 or 1 rep max. I just feel that the shock and blast of a compound movement that targets virtually all the muscles in my body is a good way to prime my muscles and mind back to a proper workout regimen.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I usually just pick back up where I left off or just drop that week from my plan, although this rarely happens (I usually plan out when I'll need time off for whatever reason ahead of time).

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I usually just pick back up where I left off or just drop that week from my plan, although this rarely happens (I usually plan out when I'll need time off for whatever reason ahead of time).
Pretty much the same as this. Depending on how long the break has been affects how hard my intensity is, but I at least try to get the same amount of volume in. I'd rather just get back to training than trying to think abut what the best way to do it i.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As mentioned already, it highly depends on the length of the break. A week or two? I just jump right in. You'll be surprised at the fact you can keep all the strength or even be stronger depending on the frequency and volume you were covering before the break. Often that rest is more needed than realized. The few times I have had to take an extended break for whatever reason, I go in slower and make sure I am getting nice and warmed up so I am not risking any injury and getting set back further.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If a week or so right back into it. If longer I break it in slow and milk each adaptation point for quick and easy progress while allowing my joints to catch up.