Overhead press
Chin-ups
Pull-ups
Barbell row
Bench press
Dips
Farmers walk
There's multiple ways you can do it.

One very simple way is to build 1 workout and perform it 3 times a week. This basic approach gets you very good at a few basic lifts and can make you pretty big and strong. When I first got into lifting weights this packed about 20lbs on me while adding 50+lbs to all of my big lifts in about 6 months.

Every exercise I did a 10 rep warm up set followed by 3 sets of 6.
Bench press
Pull downs
Power cleans
Shoulder press
Squat

Sometimes I would deadlift instead of power clean.

I would order your exercises in a manner you want to improve on most.

Another way is prioritize a body part each workout.

Day 1 leg focused
Laying hamstring curl
Squat
Bench
Bent over row
Shoulder press
Pull ups

Day 2 chest focused
Flat bench
Incline db press
Bent over row
Squat
Chin up
Dips

Day 3 back focused
Weighted chins
Deadlift
Rows
Incline bench
Dips
Barbell curl

There's endless possibilities.

What's most important is consistency, progressive overload and eating properly to reach your goals

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
There's multiple ways you can do it.

One very simple way is to build 1 workout and perform it 3 times a week. This basic approach gets you very good at a few basic lifts and can make you pretty big and strong. When I first got into lifting weights this packed about 20lbs on me while adding 50+lbs to all of my big lifts in about 6 months.

Every exercise I did a 10 rep warm up set followed by 3 sets of 6.
Bench press
Pull downs
Power cleans
Shoulder press
Squat

Sometimes I would deadlift instead of power clean.

I would order your exercises in a manner you want to improve on most.

Another way is prioritize a body part each workout.

Day 1 leg focused
Laying hamstring curl
Squat
Bench
Bent over row
Shoulder press
Pull ups

Day 2 chest focused
Flat bench
Incline db press
Bent over row
Squat
Chin up
Dips

Day 3 back focused
Weighted chins
Deadlift
Rows
Incline bench
Dips
Barbell curl

There's endless possibilities.

What's most important is consistency, progressive overload and eating properly to reach your goals
That's a pretty decent program to be fair.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You could also finish every workout with farmers walks

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That's a pretty decent program to be fair.
The only thing that gets tough about that first one is that the stronger you get, the more demanding the workout becomes. Sooner or later when your benching 275+ squatting 350+ and deadlifting 400+ it's not easy to do those lifts in the same workout multiple times a week. That's when the specification helps.

I recently just started doing full body workouts again. Haven't done them in years and I forgot how much I like them .

Only difference is I do the full body 3 days a week or eod and do a additional bench press session and a additional Squat session before my boxing workouts 2x week. So I have to be kinda strategic with programing so I'm not benching or squatting 3 days in a row.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Over the past 3 years I've kept track of every style of training program I have done. I also have some old log books from when I was in my 20's. I have about 30 custom workout programs from various strength coaches, bodybuilders and stuff I've put together myself.

At the end of the day, as long as you stick with a program and add weight or reps to the exercises you will get stronger and bigger given your food and rest lines up with your goals.

I got a buddy that was Natty and has a 350lb bench and a 600lb deadlift, he's 50 years old and pretty much only does compound lifts in his basement a couple days a week and occasionally will go to a regular gym and do arms. He just got on trt about 2 years ago and achieved those numbers long before that.

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
The only thing that gets tough about that first one is that the stronger you get, the more demanding the workout becomes. Sooner or later when your benching 275+ squatting 350+ and deadlifting 400+ it's not easy to do those lifts in the same workout multiple times a week. That's when the specification helps.

I recently just started doing full body workouts again. Haven't done them in years and I forgot how much I like them .

Only difference is I do the full body 3 days a week or eod and do a additional bench press session and a additional Squat session before my boxing workouts 2x week. So I have to be kinda strategic with programing so I'm not benching or squatting 3 days in a row.
Yeah you raise good points there. I've also gone back to stronglifts 5x5 since beginning of January as with work/family and upping cardio/running it's more manageable for me time wise.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Smont gave some good suggestions, the only thing I would add if you going to do the same workout 3x week is to do 1 light, 1 medium and 1 heavy workout, otherwise it’s a chance you burn out fast.

Soulman2477

Awards
How do you build a 3-day full body compound only workout program

Squats
Deadlifts
Lunges
Overhead press
Chin-ups
Pull-ups
Barbell row
Bench press
Dips
Farmers walk

Workout A
Lunges
Dips
Pull-ups
Overhead press
Bicep curls
Press ups

Workout B
Squats
Romanian deadlifts
Dips
Bent over rows
Overhead press
press ups
Bicep curls

Might have a third workout where I d
Take out Romanian deadlift from workout b and do the following in workout c

Romanian deadlifts
Dips
Bent over rows
Overhead press
press ups
Bicep curls

Or Rotate a and b workouts. No access to a bench

My three times a week what I'm currently running

Plull ups are so intense for me if I do them all of my other exercises are impeded so when I do them they are the last exercise for me to do as I can't really do them and I'm doing negative for me doing chin-ups and pull ups on the same workout would kill me

If you have a bench do bench press one workout and dips on another workout

Last edited: