How Do I Make Brown Rice Taste Better?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I have not focused on my diet and exercise on two years, because I have been working at my job almost every spare moment.

I joined a gym in my new town today. I will also start cooking my own food. Of course, brown rice is a staple of healthy foods.

1. Any way to make Brown rice taste better?

When I was younger, a long time ago, my mom used broth or chicken bullion to make it taste better. I know, lots of fat, MSG, sodium in it, so maybe not now. But, I could use other ways to make the same brown rice taste better.

2. Any favorite sauces, etc.?

My guess is soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, etc. are all good ideas.

Yes, they all have lots of sodium and oil; but, some certainly cannot be too terrible.

3. Any other options that you guys would suggest?

boooosted

boooosted

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use a kikkoman low sodium teriyaki sauce and sriracha. I mix it with rice, chicken, broccoli, peppers, onions and eat that for lunch 5 days/week. It has like 300mg of sodium, but I wouldn't stress the sodium too much. You're making a conscious decision to eat better, so I'm willing to bet your diet prior to this was much higher in sodium anyways.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I always save the broth from cooked chicken and use that in place of water.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, guys. I have tried both of those: chicken broth (of which bullion with water makes), as well as low Sodium soy sauce and Sriracha. All good ideas that add lots of flavor without too much counter-productive stuff (calories, fat, sodium, sugar, etc.).

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sauces are pretty much coverd. If you don’t like brown rice you don’t have to eat it though. You can do white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. As long as your hitting your macros right it doesn’t matter much. I’ve used pancakes as a carb source pretty frequently on a cut before and it still worked the same. Lol

Shep_Zaide

Shep_Zaide

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
sugar free bbq sauce helps a lot.. I forget the brand I use ill have to check when I get home. Bunch of different flavors to choose from!