How’s your training?

NGtrains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
So I found this forum because I just recently decided to run my first cycle of anything. Prior to this I lifted for about 12 years mostly on, but some off. In that time I read and learned shitloads about training and nutrition.

In the here and now it is shocking how much info there is on this stuff, and how many of you know so much.

So I was curious what training style you guys are into, and who you like to go to, if anyone, for your New workout info and training programs on social media? What’s your favorite training style? Underrated training ideas? Overrated training ideas?

I’m just asking for fun, not sure how much steam this’ll get.

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ll bite.

I had been going to the gym without much success through high school and college. Not long after I found CrossFit and fell in love with it. I had the luck of having a good stream of good, knowledgeable coaches. Constantly varied and uncomfortable. I’m becoming more un-killable by the day.

Next thing that’s more important than any training and is a foundation....diet. I did it backwards as most do. Training then diet, and it definitely held me back. I finally figured out that fasting works great for me. YouTube has been an incredible resource. Guys like Thomas DeLauer. Jacked as hell and backed by solid science.

As far as PED’s. I use here and isarms. Both are great and having various sources and points of view are great. Again, YouTube is a great source on info. Dylan Gemelli, and Greg Doucette.

Good luck!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am, as my avatar suggests, a big fan of Mentzer's training philosophies. Every program I have ever used that gave any benefits, I could see some of the framework Mentzer laid out underlying the principles - most of the time without the intent of the designers.

As far as social media - I'm a big fan of AthleanX and Elliot Hulse. Completely different personalities but both pretty knowledgeable (although Hulse kind of goes off the deep end at times).

NGtrains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I’ll bite.

I had been going to the gym without much success through high school and college. Not long after I found CrossFit and fell in love with it. I had the luck of having a good stream of good, knowledgeable coaches. Constantly varied and uncomfortable. I’m becoming more un-killable by the day.

Next thing that’s more important than any training and is a foundation....diet. I did it backwards as most do. Training then diet, and it definitely held me back. I finally figured out that fasting works great for me. YouTube has been an incredible resource. Guys like Thomas DeLauer. Jacked as hell and backed by solid science.

As far as PED’s. I use here and isarms. Both are great and having various sources and points of view are great. Again, YouTube is a great source on info. Dylan Gemelli, and Greg Doucette.

Good luck!
Why do you think fasting works so well for you? I’ve considered doing it based solely on feeing great when I don’t have a chance to eat til noon sometimes.

I know it works on the same mechanism as everything else, caloric deficit

NGtrains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I am, as my avatar suggests, a big fan of Mentzer's training philosophies. Every program I have ever used that gave any benefits, I could see some of the framework Mentzer laid out underlying the principles - most of the time without the intent of the designers.

As far as social media - I'm a big fan of AthleanX and Elliot Hulse. Completely different personalities but both pretty knowledgeable (although Hulse kind of goes off the deep end at times).
I’ve always been curious about HIT.

I even bought a couple books on it back when books were the only form of media lol.

Do you tweak it at all? My concern with that is the volume. I follow Mike Israetel a lot now. And the progressive overload using volume as the primary control has worked pretty well for me.

Do you increase training volume personally?

NGtrains

Awards
  • First Up Vote

And yeah Hulse went way the **** off the deep end lol

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’ve always been curious about HIT.

I even bought a couple books on it back when books were the only form of media lol.

Do you tweak it at all? My concern with that is the volume. I follow Mike Israetel a lot now. And the progressive overload using volume as the primary control has worked pretty well for me.

Do you increase training volume personally?
I don't stick to his programs directly, but use his philosophies to guide my training. The way I view his theories is that you have to balance intensity, volume and frequency. High intensity training requires a lot of recovery, which means frequency and volume have to be reduced.

I kind of land more in a Dorian Yates style most of the time, and I change my training quite a bit to experiment wity Volume, etc.

Recently I have had some big family medical issues that have thrown my life into a tailspin and my current training is actually doing squats one day, bench presses the next. I pyramid the weight, 1 set of 15 with a very light weight, 1 set if 15 moderately light, 1 set of 10-15 with a heavy weight and then 2 sets with my 1-5 rep max.

I do 4-6 workouts per week, squats one day, bench the next. I am hoping to get my bench/squat up quite a bit in the next coupke months.

NGtrains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I don't stick to his programs directly, but use his philosophies to guide my training. The way I view his theories is that you have to balance intensity, volume and frequency. High intensity training requires a lot of recovery, which means frequency and volume have to be reduced.

I kind of land more in a Dorian Yates style most of the time, and I change my training quite a bit to experiment wity Volume, etc.

Recently I have had some big family medical issues that have thrown my life into a tailspin and my current training is actually doing squats one day, bench presses the next. I pyramid the weight, 1 set of 15 with a very light weight, 1 set if 15 moderately light, 1 set of 10-15 with a heavy weight and then 2 sets with my 1-5 rep max.

I do 4-6 workouts per week, squats one day, bench the next. I am hoping to get my bench/squat up quite a bit in the next coupke months.
I should hope so with that frequency. I feel like upping frequency is king for strength because of all the practice.

Are you offsetting all that benching with pulling as well?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I should hope so with that frequency. I feel like upping frequency is king for strength because of all the practice.

Are you offsetting all that benching with pulling as well?
No...I may start doing pull ups again during the day.

NGtrains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
No...I may start doing pull ups again during the day.
No horizontal pulling? I just imagine a lot of shoulder pain after about a month. Even tossing in face pulls at the same frequency and more volume would be great.

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Why do you think fasting works so well for you? I’ve considered doing it based solely on feeing great when I don’t have a chance to eat til noon sometimes.

I know it works on the same mechanism as everything else, caloric deficit
Being a white guy with Central European ancestry I more than likely have a higher amount of Neanderthal DNA. (I have no proof yet lol) That actually was what got me started on fasting. I’ve always had issues with carbs and insulin spiking so I figured I’d give it a go. My body responds so well to it. On top of that, I’m 6’2” 13.7% BF at 207.6 lbs and I only eat about 2,300 cals a day. I am not what you would call skinny or weak (my deadlift is 535). It just appears that this is what my genes like. Only took me 32 years to figure it out

Also, the caloric deficit thing isn’t a must for fasting. On the daily level you can still eat your macros and lose weight. The reason mostly is that once your body runs low on glycogen it starts utilizing other fuels as energy. White adipose tissue being one of them. The nice thing about that is that your body releases body fat as energy in the presence of HGH. So, if you fast, you’ll get stronger, as long as you eat enough at some part during the day.

Think about it from an evolutionary standpoint...
Animals don’t eat 3 square meals a day. Especially omnivores/carnivores (which we are).
They hunt. Just like we did not that long ago.

Nature has primed your genetics with the ability to conserve as much energy as possible to survive, so think about it this way....from the perspective of your “reptile” brain (the animal side that controls fight or flight, hunger, etc.)
If you’re eating 3+ times a day, where is the advantage for your body to grow muscle? Clearly you don’t need it since the food just comes to you. You don’t need the muscle to go out and kill your next meal and walk it back to your village 5 miles away over your shoulders. So, it saves the energy dedicated to building muscle.

Yes, I know, everyone on here gains muscle. But at the cost of being hyperinsulemic all day long because it’s the only way to get the body to do what you need it to. I’ve lived it. The ups and downs, gains and cuts. Blah blah blah. What if you could cut and gain at the same time? That’s what fasting has done for me.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I started in 2012. Tried a number of different approaches. Found what I like best and suited my body type was HIIT endurance training with strength training. Not bodybuilding. Focus is on squats, deadlifts, pullups, rows, overhead press,etc. plus lots of intense cardio. Rarely do isolation exercises. Just as a filler while waiting for something when too busy. Always free weight.

Did a great deal wrong even when doing right. Learned good form, avoiding ego lifts, etc. from pain.