How’s you relationship with your DAD?

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
I felt like I never had a real dad! My father will give me any MATERIAL I want clothes,bikes,gym stuff etc! But he is never there for me,he is extremely bitter for example I will show him one of my wrestling matches and he will say”man that stuff is too rough you can break a arm” instead of saying Good job I’m proud of you,or I will tell him about a new Pr and he will say you can hurt your back lifting all that weight,I never had a dad to depend on or come support me,cause I know he will judge or criticize me! I can’t talk to him about anything He always got something bitter to say,is this how every father is? I have always felt closer to my friends dad then my own father!

sir_levy

sir_levy

Awards
I felt like I never had a real dad! My father will give me any MATERIAL I want clothes,bikes,gym stuff etc! But he is never there for me,he is extremely bitter for example I will show him one of my wrestling matches and he will say”man that stuff is too rough you can break a arm” instead of saying Good job I’m proud of you,or I will tell him about a new Pr and he will say you can hurt your back lifting all that weight,I never had a dad to depend on or come support me,cause I know he will judge or criticize me! I can’t talk to him about anything He always got something bitter to say,is this how every father is? I have always felt closer to my friends dad then my own father!
I have a similar relationship with my dad, very giving, but pretty difficult to make a personal connection with, and i found that thats just the way he shows he cares. Some people dont know how to make personal connections with people, it's not that they dont want too, they just cant because they're not good at it. The fact that you get everything you want, I personally think is a sign that he supports you. Maybe his way of adding to the convo is by pointing out that you should be careful when lifting heavy, because that's all he really knows about the matter. and maybe he's just not really good with socializing or making a personal connection like I said. I can't really say because I'm not in your shoes, but maybe just look at it that way. No one person is the same, all parents are different, and its always better to look at things in a positive manner than negative, because at the end of the day they're all you got

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I guess you have to walk in another man's shoes...my dad was killed in a train wreck when I was 8 months.

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
My dad is a reti
I have a similar relationship with my dad, very giving, but pretty difficult to make a personal connection with, and i found that thats just the way he shows he cares. Some people dont know how to make personal connections with people, it's not that they dont want too, they just cant because they're not good at it. The fact that you get everything you want, I personally think is a sign that he supports you. Maybe his way of adding to the convo is by pointing out that you should be careful when lifting heavy, because that's all he really knows about the matter. and maybe he's just not really good with socializing or making a personal connection like I said. I can't really say because I'm not in your shoes, but maybe just look at it that way. No one person is the same, all parents are different, and its always better to look at things in a positive manner than negative, because at the end of the day they're all you got
my pops is a retired bodybuilder,and a hardcore dude from the streets always wondered why he babied me so much! With I had a more positive personal connection to him.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My dad spent 1968-2017 in a Shipyard. Never complained, but we never done a ton of stuff together either. We went fishing or hunting on his good days, but sporting events or any of that. Never happen. As you get older, specially if you have something in Common. You will find that you behave more like him than you realize, and why he is the way he is. Like maybe he is in Pain, that you don't realize

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
I guess you have to walk in another man's shoes...my dad was killed in a train wreck when I was 8 months.
Sorry to hear about that,Just know he’s
My dad spent 1968-2017 in a Shipyard. Never complained, but we never done a ton of stuff together either. We went fishing or hunting on his good days, but sporting events or any of that. Never happen. As you get older, specially if you have something in Common. You will find that you behave more like him than you realize, and why he is the way he is. Like maybe he is in Pain, that you don't realize
i behave exactly like him now,in the words of my mother you are a “asshole just like dad”

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Damn man. I had no idea. That's a rough one to start out life with.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Fantastic. I’m old, he’s old... we don’t see each other more than once a month or so because we’re busy all the time. He drives a bus.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Really good. Live 8-9 hours apart so don’t see or talk to each other nearly enough. That said, it’s all positive.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It was great, but looking back there’s still a lot of things I would have loved to do with him that I always said we would do “later”. Now he’s gone. Moral of the story is, don’t wait until it’s too late.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My dad died when I was 3, so I have no relationship with him. My stepfather is great though, but I gave him a real hard time growing up, told him he wasn't my father numerous times, etc. We have a great relationship now though.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My Dad was the oldest of 5 kids and his Dad died when he was 10. At 12, he quit school to go to work, and at 16 he got a fake birth certificate, joined the Army and went to France for WWII. He never had a Dad, and never really had a childhood, so not a big surprise that he wasn't a very social person. As I got older I realized the kinds of things he went through and that he just didn't want his kids to deal with the same things. We did stuff together like hinting and fishing, but we never really discussed much. I learned the most important lessons in life from him. Work hard. Do what you say you're going to do. Take care of your family and neighbors. He passed away 4 years ago after dealing with Alzheimer's for the last 6 years of his life and I regret that we never really talked much.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My relationship with my Dad was, honestly, the best and most rewarding relationship of my life.

He was a pilot in WWII and yet he never bragged once about being a war hero. In fact, it wasn't until about 8 years ago that my wife made a comment on him being a war hero. To me, he was just my Dad, and he was a humble and very intelligent man.

He supported me emotionally when I needed it, and let me figure things out when I didn't. He rarely offered advice unless I asked for it.

I am a better person as a result of having had him as my father.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I hear you man. Sometimes we blur lines looking for a friend instead of a parent. From what you said he provides for you, emotional support is one thing, but men aren’t traditionally emotional by nature. I personally have had some issues like this seeking approval from my pops, it just never happened. When I don’t seek it I am generally happier and more fulfilled. Maybe your fathers interests are different from yours, but you said he will buy you whatever gym equipment you want. Sounds super supportive to me, because even though he doesn’t agree of find interest in your lifestyle, he still contributes to it. Maybe he isn’t the one you go to for emotional support, in my experience women are better. Most men think based in logic and not feeling. Logically he’s saying why the f&$k are you subjecting yourself to that, does it pay your bills. I’m not saying I agree or not, but that’s just often the truth. I started to gain a different respect for my father when I started to change my approach. I don’t tel him anything I want to do, I tell him what I am doing or really what I have done. Forget what I’m thinking about. When I have done this my outcome has been much better and my relationship is better, i now actually have one with him. Believe me when I tell you, you are blessed to even have a father. He didn’t leave you high and dry like most of the cowards in this country and let your mom raise you. Be thankful. Also he provides for you, that is a mans role. Respect it and move forward. I have so many friends who never knew their dad... I used to have to catch myself trying to complain to them: “ oh my dad is such a dick he doesn’t get it” meanwhile their thinking: “you have a dad?”.

Keep your head up and just be great! Lol but serious!