Homemade Preworkout Stack

noserdna

Awards
Any issues stacking Beta Alanine, Citrulline Malate, ALCAR and Creatine together for a preworkout drink? I'm thinking about buying these in bulk but want to make sure they don't counteract. Thanks!

pro45

Awards
Creatine is completely unnecessary as a pre workout supplement.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I see no issues. Will you be adding a flavoring?

Do research and make sure you add the proper dosing. As for creatine, it is your preference, I have seen as pre, as a post and some people do both.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
These ingredients would work as a basic preworkout. I would also consider adding in a stimulant like caffeine. As state above, creatine isn't necessary as a preworkout ingredient, but there's no disadvantage to taking it before training either. I typically take my creatine preworkout just so I remember to take it for the day

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
They are all fine. I would consider a flavoring as the taste a little funny. Creatine isn't necessary, but you can add. SNS has all these bulks for good prices at nutraplanet.

noserdna

Awards
Awesome! Thank you for the replies! I might just take my 5g of creatine postworkout with some protein and simple carbs.

Also, I was going to start off with 2g Citrulline and 3g of Beta Alanine and work up there. Not quite sure on the ALCAR dose still.

And as to flavoring, I'm at a loss as to what I should do? Maybe mix all this up and do body shots with my wife???

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome! Thank you for the replies! I might just take my 5g of creatine postworkout with some protein and simple carbs.

Also, I was going to start off with 2g Citrulline and 3g of Beta Alanine and work up there. Not quite sure on the ALCAR dose still.

And as to flavoring, I'm at a loss as to what I should do? Maybe mix all this up and do body shots with my wife???
What they are saying is you can dose creatine any time during the day. I dose mine with my pre workout for convenience.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established

I'm personally not a huge fan of beta alanine, but that would be fine. You could bump the citrulline up to 4g+ if you wanted to, but 2g is a good start. As far as flavoring, you could use flavor drops from the supermarket, or crystal light powder. It might save a few dollars to make your own pre, but often times its more convenient and less of a hassle to buy it premade. There are a few great preworkouts available that would do better than just these few ingredients IMO. And there are also some great non-stim versions that would work for you if you don't want to use caffeine or stims

noserdna

Awards
I'm personally not a huge fan of beta alanine, but that would be fine. You could bump the citrulline up to 4g+ if you wanted to, but 2g is a good start. As far as flavoring, you could use flavor drops from the supermarket, or crystal light powder. It might save a few dollars to make your own pre, but often times its more convenient and less of a hassle to buy it premade. There are a few great preworkouts available that would do better than just these few ingredients IMO. And there are also some great non-stim versions that would work for you if you don't want to use caffeine or stims
Thanks a lot for all of the help man! I should have prefaced that I'm trying to take a stim break until the new year, so that's kind of why I'm leaning towards this homemade stack. Yes, a little money savings will be nice too! We have an 8-month old at home so my disposable income for stuff like supps has shrunk dramatically.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
No stims? - then ALCAR, L-Tyrosine, Hup-A, Schisandra can be used. Basically sub some Nootropics for stimulants.

Beta Alanine, like Creatine, is a 'Saturation' supplement - so you could move that to other times of the day too (I take mine with food pre and post workout) - also, BA only really shines during exertion for an extended time period... something like over 60 seconds (check the research). So for any sets less than that, won't help. But on the flip side, it's pretty damn cheap - so loading up to cover any sprint/sled work seems fine anyway.

If you go Cit-Mal, dose at 8g - L-Cit is usually half that - I noticed no difference between them and IIRC the few performance studies were with Cit-Mal.

You could do Agamatine as well, Betaine (TMG), the list is pretty long. Just look at every supp company pre-workout, cross-check on Examine for efficacy/dosing, and grab some bulk version. 1 Packet of Crystal Light will cover your flavoring (I like Walmart's brand of it - Peach Mango)

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
No stims? - then ALCAR, L-Tyrosine, Hup-A, Schisandra can be used. Basically sub some Nootropics for stimulants.

Beta Alanine, like Creatine, is a 'Saturation' supplement - so you could move that to other times of the day too (I take mine with food pre and post workout) - also, BA only really shines during exertion for an extended time period... something like over 60 seconds (check the research). So for any sets less than that, won't help. But on the flip side, it's pretty damn cheap - so loading up to cover any sprint/sled work seems fine anyway.

If you go Cit-Mal, dose at 8g - L-Cit is usually half that - I noticed no difference between them and IIRC the few performance studies were with Cit-Mal.

You could do Agamatine as well, Betaine (TMG), the list is pretty long. Just look at every supp company pre-workout, cross-check on Examine for efficacy/dosing, and grab some bulk version. 1 Packet of Crystal Light will cover your flavoring (I like Walmart's brand of it - Peach Mango)
Spot on as always!

Angrypolak

Angrypolak

Awards
Another option is unflavored kool-aid packets. I did that with grape and concentrated stevia for flavor.

The kool-aid powder also includes ingredients that will help keep your powder from clumping. Between that and storing it in the fridge, I've had zero caking/clumping.

My "base" powder:
-500g Creatine mono
-500g Beta alanine
-250g Betaine
-227g Magnesium CITRATE (NOW brand from a different site)
-50g Ashwaganda
-40g L-theanine

From a bulk powder site I got enough for 100 servings at less than $0.70 per at "clinical" doses (per examine). I split them between PWO and bed.

A number of my ingredients don't need to be dosed PWO, but it makes life easier for me to just take them that way.

I do 1 1/2tsp PWO and add caffeine tab, cit-mal powder, hydromax powder, potassium nitrate powder, or a combo.

I also do 1 1/2tsp at bed with a melatonin tab.

I really like this as it allows me to mix and match based on my current goals while still having my "base" mix. And the cost even with the add-on's averages to be less than $1.00 per serving. Most properly dosed PWO's I find are around $1.50-2.50 per serving.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any issues stacking Beta Alanine, Citrulline Malate, ALCAR and Creatine together for a preworkout drink? I'm thinking about buying these in bulk but want to make sure they don't counteract. Thanks!
Use mine ?
2 scoops SNS citrulline malate
2 scoops SNS agmatine sulfate
1 scoop SNS Focus-XT

Great pump with focus and know you're getting enough pump products in there without having a ton of Stims.

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
Use mine
2 scoops SNS citrulline malate
2 scoops SNS agmatine sulfate
1 scoop SNS Focus-XT

Great pump with focus and know you're getting enough pump products in there without having a ton of Stims.
You buy in bulk?

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards

Never thought of the crystal light

noserdna

Awards
So I've decided on this preworkout stack for now:

5g creatine
4g Beta Alanine
4g Citrulline Malate
1g Taurine
500mg of Niacin

I will start off with a single ingredient, assess tolerance, and then add in an additional ingredient every couple of days. Exciting stuff! I'll let everybody know when I start the logs... thanks!

pro45

Awards

5g creatine
4g Beta Alanine
4g Citrulline Malate
1g Taurine
500mg of Niacin

I will start off with a single ingredient, assess tolerance, and then add in an additional ingredient every couple of days. Exciting stuff! I'll let everybody know when I start the logs... thanks!
Creatine won't serve any benefits pre workout.
500 mg Niacin?? Good luck with that! Lol.

noserdna

Awards
Creatine won't serve any benefits pre workout.
500 mg Niacin?? Good luck with that! Lol.
Thanks man. Is that too much niacin to start off with?

And on the creatine, I saw your post from a few days ago about not seeing any benefit. I'm fully aware, I just figured I'd throw everything in one shaker cup and get it down for convenience sake.

pro45

Awards
Thanks man. Is that too much niacin to start off with?

And on the creatine, I saw your post from a few days ago about not seeing any benefit. I'm fully aware, I just figured I'd throw everything in one shaker cup and get it down for convenience sake.
I would start with 50mg niacin and gauge your tolerance. The side effects can be VERY uncomfortable.

noserdna

Awards
I would start with 50mg niacin and gauge your tolerance. The side effects can be VERY uncomfortable.
Ok cool. For some reason I thought I saw an appropriate dose for bodybuilding was 500mg, but I'll heed your advice. Thanks!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok cool. For some reason I thought I saw an appropriate dose for bodybuilding was 500mg, but I'll heed your advice. Thanks!
500mg is a pretty substantial dose. I've used 500mg caps, and they'd routinely make my whole body red, as if I had a sunburn, along with a similar feeling, and a warm feeling. The only use I found for them was working out in a cold gym in Ontario, where it'd normally take me a long time to warm up and not stay cold; the niacin kept me feeling warm without wearing too many layers, haha.

noserdna

Awards
500mg is a pretty substantial dose. I've used 500mg caps, and they'd routinely make my whole body red, as if I had a sunburn, along with a similar feeling, and a warm feeling. The only use I found for them was working out in a cold gym in Ontario, where it'd normally take me a long time to warm up and not stay cold; the niacin kept me feeling warm without wearing too many layers, haha.
Good to know, thanks! This is definitely why I want to add in one ingredient at a time!

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards

5g creatine
4g Beta Alanine
4g Citrulline Malate
1g Taurine
500mg of Niacin

With bulk prices so affordable, I'd dose at highest efficacious dose used in a study: 5g Beta-Alanine (Elite Rowers), and 8g Cit-Mal (Weight Lifting Protocol).

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
With bulk prices so affordable, I'd dose at highest efficacious dose used in a study: 5g Beta-Alanine (Elite Rowers), and 8g Cit-Mal (Weight Lifting Protocol).
I would recommend splitting the BA dose though, 5g could lead to some serious tingles.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 35
Supplements 20
I_Eat_Iron Supplements 82
Supplements 65
Buffspartan Supplements 12