Holy Crap I'm Fat! Having trouble with Keto Macros

blondbencher

Awards
So I was at Kroger the other day and sat on one of those "Health Center Stations," you know the ones where they take your blood pressure, weigh you and check your bodyfat. Yeah, I'm fat. It said I was 225 lbs (clothed) and have a bodyfat percentage of 27%. What the heck?

Anyway, I guess I don't need Kroger to tell me I'm fat. I know this. I mean, don't get my wrong, I have muscle and am strong, but I look like a blimp. So it's time to get my ass in gear keto style. But I;m having trouble figuring out my keto macros. I'm 5 foot 11, 34 years of age and weigh probably 220 naked. So far, I'me getting this response from various apps and programs:

2,200 Calories
165 g Protein
147 g Fat
55 g Carbs

I do plan on 3 days of lifting, 3 days or cardio per week. My main goal is to shed this fat while trying to preserve as much muscle as possible.

Does this look right for a big boy like myself?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First thing I'd say is don't put too much stock in whatever the bodyfat% is that it gave you. I bought a scale years back that was supposed to do it and even at my leaner side it had me placed in the 20's%.

I'll let some guys who actually run keto come in and give advice on the specific percentages, but that's probably pretty close to right (though I would think they'd want carbs a tad lower). I know with true keto you're supposed to look at higher fat content and that's the harder part to wrap your head around most of the time as someone who trains, because you instinctively want protein higher. I've never done a keto diet where protein was that low, but I never really did a TRUE keto diet, either.

blondbencher

Awards
First thing I'd say is don't put too much stock in whatever the bodyfat% is that it gave you. I bought a scale years back that was supposed to do it and even at my leaner side it had me placed in the 20's%.

I'll let some guys who actually run keto come in and give advice on the specific percentages, but that's probably pretty close to right (though I would think they'd want carbs a tad lower). I know with true keto you're supposed to look at higher fat content and that's the harder part to wrap your head around most of the time as someone who trains, because you instinctively want protein higher. I've never done a keto diet where protein was that low, but I never really did a TRUE keto diet, either.
Thanks boss! Yeah, truth be told, I was feeling like that meter was a little off. I mean, I'm no slim jim, but 27% is pretty high considering my bicep veins bulge out petty well when I'm lifting.

blondbencher

Awards
I would also like to mention that I'm going to be running a few "goodies" to support my fatloss efforts, including a fat burner, app suppressant and Forskolin.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Less than 30 grams of carbs
165 grams of protein
160 grams of fat = 2200 ish cals

30 g or less for carbs on keto thats pretty standard,
Foods: whole eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese, steak/beef, chicken (dark meat), olive oil, coconut oil, nuts (some have more carbs), tuna in oil (add mayo for more fat), avocado (note they contain a few amount of carbs

Get carbs from veggies:
Spinach, salads, broccoli, asparagus,

Tips: Often times i will take a "shot" of olive oil to get more fat
Dont cheat it will set you back, this includes carb ups, they are not really needed

blondbencher

Awards
165 grams of protein

Foods: whole eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese, steak/beef, chicken (dark meat), olive oil, coconut oil, nuts (some have more carbs), tuna in oil (add mayo for more fat), avocado (note they contain a few amount of carbs

Get carbs from veggies:

Dont cheat it will set you back, this includes carb ups, they are not really needed
Thank you kindly for the advice! And that's good to know about 30, not 50. I had read in "Carb Nite Solutions" that 50 g of carbs would be ok? Maybe I'm mistaken. So I will plan on 30 g of carbs.

Another question, if I may... How long can one run keto, granted there aren't any serious health issues at play. Can one follow keto longterm, like longer than 3 months?

Thanks!

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Thank you kindly for the advice! And that's good to know about 30, not 50. I had read in "Carb Nite Solutions" that 50 g of carbs would be ok? Maybe I'm mistaken. So I will plan on 30 g of carbs.

Another question, if I may... How long can one run keto, granted there aren't any serious health issues at play. Can one follow keto longterm, like longer than 3 months?

Thanks!
Id have to read more into it or others who have had success with 50 grams of carbs but from what ive heard and my own experience 30 and below is what works best. 40 at max but id never do that personally.

Long term keto? Of course! Many diabetics use this diet as a lifestyle, it keeps blood glucose stable. In fact, with keto the longer you are on the diet the better your results.

blondbencher

Awards
Id have to read more into it or others who have had success with 50 grams of carbs but from what ive heard and my own experience 30 and below is what works best. 40 at max but id never do that personally.

Long term keto? Of course! Many diabetics use this diet as a lifestyle, it keeps blood glucose stable. In fact, with keto the longer you are on the diet the better your results.
Cool, thanks for the feedback! I'll stick with 30 g then!

shanewilliams

Awards
  • First Up Vote
165 grams of protein

Get carbs from veggies:

Good advice here, keep the net carbs under 30. The point is you need to get in ketosis state and you will know when you are because your pee and breath will stink. Then you want to be doing high intensity training with moderate to heavy weights. Try to fast as well between 8 pm and noon. Bullet coffee in the morning is fine during the fast. Besides that LOTS of water.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good advice here, keep the net carbs under 30. The point is you need to get in ketosis state and you will know when you are because your pee and breath will stink. Then you want to be doing high intensity training with moderate to heavy weights. Try to fast as well between 8 pm and noon. Bullet coffee in the morning is fine during the fast. Besides that LOTS of water.
You realise the threads five years old.

shanewilliams

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Lol sheesh it must have popped up as a related topic and I thought it was new - thx