Himalayan Pink Salt...?¿?

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
So... probably 2 or 3 years ago there was this massive rage and uproar for people to stack Himalayan Pink salt w their preworkout to get an amazing pump. Now, not one mention of it. Is it gone forever? Did it kill people? I only see it on those aroma therapy lamps, lol.

Anyone else remember?

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i was gonna say any salt with pre or intra would work and is a great idea.

but in my household we prefer pink salt for our seasoning .. but yeah just like everything else it dies out with hype over time

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Does anyone have a suggestion on how much Himalayan Pink Salt should be added as part of a preworkout?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've been doing Redmond real salt (it's pink salt) cuz it's from Utah. Himy salt seems to all come from India. Isn't that a heavy metal contamination risk?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've been doing Redmond real salt (it's pink salt) cuz it's from Utah. Himy salt seems to all come from India. Isn't that a heavy metal contamination risk?
Some of the best quality spices in the world come from India.
Also some of the best quality raw materials in the world do as well.

There's nothing that makes something a heavy metals contamination risk just because of country of origin. Heavy metals testing is required on it, just like any other spice or raw material.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I use regular iodized salt.
This^^ I don't know about pwo/intra use, but I would assume any salt works for that. But generally the hype around Himalayan salt (it's allways pink. Aka Himalayan mountain salt, chrystal salt, Indian salt, rosesalt) was that it's healthier due to containing more minerals. But it's been known some time know that it's really not any better than regular iodized sea salt.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have read that the optimal doses range between 1/8 tsp and 1/2 tsp. I've also read that salt allegedly helps shuttle creatine into muscles, when co-administered.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have read that the optimal doses range between 1/8 tsp and 1/2 tsp. I've also read that salt allegedly helps shuttle creatine into muscles, when co-administered.
Insulin spike ergo fast carbs with creatine used to be the thing. But I presume whey protein spikes insulin enough and take my creatine with my morning and post workout shakes. Not heard of taking salt with creatine tho, interesting 🤔

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Insulin spike ergo fast carbs with creatine used to be the thing. But I presume whey protein spikes insulin enough and take my creatine with my morning and post workout shakes. Not heard of taking salt with creatine tho, interesting 🤔
I just read an article touting this. In the past I have read that Alpha Lipoic Acid improves creatine uptake (Ergolog), that fenugreek extract helps assimilate creatine (Ergolog), and that combing astragalus and ginseng boosts the the effect of creatine (Ergolog). There used to be an article on line that touted the virtues of combining 1 tsp sugar, I Tbsp. glycine, and 1/2 tsp of salt with water, with the allegation being that this shuttled water/electrolytes into your muscles.