HIIT routine - best timing, fasted?

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Looking to add some HIIT to my off days while on my lean bulk. Now, I'm curious what others thoughts are on even doing this in the first place? I do come across differing opinions. Much science to supports its efficacy though. Also, and perhaps more importantly, fasted or not? Seems to be a big no-no in many circles, so when would be the best timing for it? My usual protocol is coffee with MCT upon waking, so if I did it after that it wouldn't technically be fasted would it?

I will be on a spin bike, 30 secs balls to the wall sprint/90-120 second rest intervals x6 or so... job done. Any advice appreciated. I've done HIIT before, but always used to do it after my workouts, which never quite felt right to me, or that I was really able to give it 100%.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am a huge fan of HIIT and have incorporated it consistently for the last 4 years moving from steady state on my off days. I think it helps in strength training and also, oddly enough, steady state cardio.

That being said, my idea of HIIT is different than 6 sprints on a spin bike. You'd be fine running that fasted and then getting in your first macros post. I run my HIIT at the end of workouts and throw a day in on my "off" days.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
for cardiovascular health alone HIIT is great.. keeps conditioning in check.. just make sure to moderate it

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
So morning, following coffee/MCT would be good time to do?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you are majoring in the minors with that question. if you are part of the worlds elite and at your body's genetic limits than dealing with this tiny detail important as the 1-2% gain will help you.

for the other 99.99999% of the worlds population, the body is very resilient and more adaptable and capable than you think. work hard, eat hard, and sleep hard and do it consistently and you will be fine. in other words, just do it when you can.

A

alphale028

Awards
Like it fasted minus some bcca's in the am

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
you are majoring in the minors with that question. if you are part of the worlds elite and at your body's genetic limits than dealing with this tiny detail important as the 1-2% gain will help you.

for the other 99.99999% of the worlds population, the body is very resilient and more adaptable and capable than you think. work hard, eat hard, and sleep hard and do it consistently and you will be fine. in other words, just do it when you can.
Fair enough and good point. Easy to get caught up in the details with this kind of stuff.