high REM sleep vs low Deep sleep: what to do?

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Hi guys,

since some months I'm experiencing high REM sleep and low deep sleep. Not only anecdotal, also my tracker is confirming this, even if deep sleep seems to be within normal ranges.

I have no problems in falling asleep and, while I don't get up frequently, dreams (they are not nightmares) are disturbing my sleep, thus I'm waking up not fully refreshed.
Often I'm having a quick nap (not more that 30min) after lunch - it's an habit I developed during college. The odd thing is that also in this case I dream - I'm wondering how is it possible to dream in such a short amount of time.

Is there any supplement that can help in increasing deep sleep, or at least reducing REM?

Thanks everybody!

BigLarry

BigLarry

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I worked as a sleep tech and unless if you’ve been hooked up with EEG’s it’s impossible to know how much of what your getting and what is going on. If your taking naps and jumping right into REM sleep then it can mean your body isn’t getting enough REM when you usually go to sleep, also could just be that your are waking up during REM which is why your even remembering your dreams at all. Deep sleep or stage 3 can vary as you get older, usually you get less as you age whereas kids sleep most of the night in stage 3. If you aren’t feeling rested and are constantly tired then you should just get a sleep study done to see if you have OSA.

BigLarry

BigLarry

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Also to add REM sleep is actually what will make you feel groggy and unrested if you have limited amount of it due to arousals/disturbances. Deep sleep/stage 3 is where the body does it’s healing and growing, hormones like GH spike during this time and is the reason why you see so much in young kids.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This is interesting, I'm a terrible sleeper, always have been. Like you I have no problem falling asleep, but I wake up 5-10 times a night. Some times I can't fall back to sleep for hours. But every time I go out I almost instantly am right into a vivid dream. Same for mid day naps if I get one

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd look at sleep hygiene: last meal time, electronic usage, sleeping conditions, go to bed at same time even on weekends.

Then I'd take a week off from working out bc 99% of us are overtraining or under recovering.

Finally, a lot of posts in this thread have poor sleep psychology. If I say I'm weak, I dont get stronger in the gym. If I identify as a poor sleeper, then I'm not gonna feel good in the morning.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I worked as a sleep tech and unless if you’ve been hooked up with EEG’s it’s impossible to know how much of what your getting and what is going on. If your taking naps and jumping right into REM sleep then it can mean your body isn’t getting enough REM when you usually go to sleep, also could just be that your are waking up during REM which is why your even remembering your dreams at all. Deep sleep or stage 3 can vary as you get older, usually you get less as you age whereas kids sleep most of the night in stage 3. If you aren’t feeling rested and are constantly tired then you should just get a sleep study done to see if you have OSA.
my doc sent me for a overnight sleep clinic...it was horrible having all those stickers pasted to my head and body, but it turned out to be one of the best things i ever did...they told me i have really bad sleep apnea and the doc said i had the worst case of restless legs he had ever seen-like playing a soccer game in my sleep he called it...i've used a cpap machine for around 4 years now and although i often have issues falling asleep the cpap machine improved my quality of life AT LEAST as much as trt has...i was prescribed ropinirole for rls but couldn't handle sides, been on gabapentin for years and doing much better...

i highly suggest to anyone who can afford or who has insurance to spend a night in a sleep clinic.

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sleep hygiene and getting screened for OSA are key. I was diagnosed with OSA at 20 years old, despite being in phenomenal shape. I was getting under 30 minutes of REM in 8 hours of sleep and had 35 apneas an hour lasting 30-40 seconds. The sleep tech was astounded I made it through college and OCS.

dukes3577

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
All I know is when I take it I sleep deep straight through the night. No dreams or bathroom runs and wake without grogginess. Actually one of the reasons I stop taking it every night is cause I enjoy dreaming.

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Reishi and ginseng
Thanks man, I'd like to try reishi before sleep, since I've seen it could help also for anxiety. However I'm concerned about potential anti-androgen effects. Did you notice any sides, such as loss of libido?

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
All I know is when I take it I sleep deep straight through the night. No dreams or bathroom runs and wake without grogginess. Actually one of the reasons I stop taking it every night is cause I enjoy dreaming.
Thanks man, very interesting. I could do a trial with it.

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
my doc sent me for a overnight sleep clinic...it was horrible having all those stickers pasted to my head and body, but it turned out to be one of the best things i ever did...they told me i have really bad sleep apnea and the doc said i had the worst case of restless legs he had ever seen-like playing a soccer game in my sleep he called it...i've used a cpap machine for around 4 years now and although i often have issues falling asleep the cpap machine improved my quality of life AT LEAST as much as trt has...i was prescribed ropinirole for rls but couldn't handle sides, been on gabapentin for years and doing much better...

i highly suggest to anyone who can afford or who has insurance to spend a night in a sleep clinic.
Thanks man, yeah I think I should think about doing a sleep study.

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Sleep hygiene and getting screened for OSA are key. I was diagnosed with OSA at 20 years old, despite being in phenomenal shape. I was getting under 30 minutes of REM in 8 hours of sleep and had 35 apneas an hour lasting 30-40 seconds. The sleep tech was astounded I made it through college and OCS.
Thanks man, so sleep apnea could also cause too much REM sleep vs deep sleep, interestinf. If I don't fix this issue soon I think I need to do a sleep study.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thanks man, so sleep apnea could also cause too much REM sleep vs deep sleep, interestinf. If I don't fix this issue soon I think I need to do a sleep study.
sleep studies are really comprehensive, whatever your problem, it is likely to find it.

Last edited:
barische

barische

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks man, I'd like to try reishi before sleep, since I've seen it could help also for anxiety. However I'm concerned about potential anti-androgen effects. Did you notice any sides, such as loss of libido?
Yes actually fairly quickly. Def potent 5ar inhibitor.

barische

barische

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar

Cordyceps!!