High RBC, Hemoglobin & Hematocrit on a moderate cruise. How to fix?

rambofireball

rambofireball

Awards
  • Established
Hello all,

Been off and on a number of cycles throughout the last decade. I am prescribed 100mg/wk Test Cypionate. I started a cruise about 2 months ago as an easy reintroduction after a long hiatus, Test Cypionate at 200mg/wk.

Got some bloods done to see how my body was handling the reintroduction, and had some results I hadn't seen before.

RBC count: 6.18
Hemoglobin: 18.7gm/dl
Hematocrit: 55%

The tops of these ranges are 5.6, 17.4gm/dl, and 53%, so it doesn't seem too alarming, but the kind of thing to get a handle on before it gets worse.

I will be discussing the results with my doc, but wanted to get an opinion from the rest of y'all on how I can continue the cruise and keep these numbers a little lower.

Thank you for any info or knowledge you have to share.

Rambo.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Do you have any symptoms?

Avoid iron rich foods and get rid of a pint of blood if you want to lower those.

200mg may be too high for you. Donate, cut back to 100mg a week and retest in couple of months.

rambofireball

rambofireball

Awards
  • Established
Thank you CroLifter, I appreciate the advice. I am supposed to avoid blood loss as I am also on Hydrocortisone replacement, but I'll talk to my doc about that option.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thank you CroLifter, I appreciate the advice. I am supposed to avoid blood loss as I am also on Hydrocortisone replacement, but I'll talk to my doc about that option.
High rbc is one of those things that are a bitch. I am pronr to my hct going to the moon.
But I drain half a pint at home from time to time.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am on TRT and my Hematocrit creeps up sometimes, two things I found that help, Drink lots of water 1-2 gallon a day, donate blood. I have been dealing with it for atleast 15 years with no problems.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know I have been seeing far more practitioners talking about how this is NOT the issue it was once thought to be. Now of course at a certain point, say HCT of 60+ you need to do something but the whole scare was mainly associated with the fact that typically polycythemia was correlated with disease. If you are self inducing via HRT and things are not wildly out of range AND you have no symptoms AND you KNOW you do not have a clotting disease like Factor Five Leiden then I would not worry too much.

Lots of hydration as mentioned and daily cardio really seems to keep this in check and using an ARB mildly reduces. I know some use IP6 to lower iron a touch and this could also be implemented but should be monitored(as all this **** we do SHOULD) to ensure you don't tank iron as that is a problem as well.

Reactions: Nac
Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know I have been seeing far more practitioners talking about how this is NOT the issue it was once thought to be.
I remember this was a point debated on some of the TRT forums. Old skooler docs like John Crisler advocated keeping Hcrit within range at all times as a general rule; younger docs like Justin Saya (who to me seems a bit more scientifically informed) pointed out that hcrit at the high end of range and even slightly over are not "dangerous" UNLESS platelets are also reading high.