High Hematocrit, Low Iron - Need a Plan

L

Lockout888

Awards
I've been on TRT for about 3.5 years. I've been on the same protocol for about 3 years: Test Cyp: 80mg every 3.5 days SubQ, HCG: 250iu 3x week SubQ, Anastrozole: .25mg 1x per week, day after T injection. This gets my TT to about 650-750, when I do BW about 12 hours before T injection.

I have been donating blood every 8-12 weeks to keep Hematocrit in check. What I didn't realize was that was slowly tanking my iron and ferritin levels, and I was not able to replenish them before my next donation.

It slowly crept up on me, but I was feeling: tired all the time, out of breath easily during mild exercise, sweating easily etc. Sex was exhausting and sometimes I could never finish.

I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia this past June. My numbers were in the tank:
Hemoglobin 11.8 LOW (12.6-17.7)
Hematocrit 39.5 (37.5-51.0)
Iron, Serum 22 LOW (38-169)
Iron Saturation 6 ALERT LOW (15-55)
Ferritin, Serum 8 LOW (30-400)

I did a bunch of research, and talked with my Doctor about this. Found that it was going to take about 8 weeks to get my iron and ferritin levels back to somewhat normal. I found a great product called Blood Builder and started taking that twice a day for 8 weeks. It definitely got my numbers back:
Hemoglobin 17.2 (12.6-17.7)
Hematocrit 52.6 (37.5-51.0)
Iron, Serum 101 (38-169)
Iron Saturation 34 (15-55)
Ferritin, Serum 37 (30-400)

Since my Hematocrit was at 52.6% I decided to donate blood again. I wanted to see how much iron I lose from donating, so I took another blood test 36 hours later:
Hemoglobin 16.2 (12.6-17.7)
Hematocrit 50.4 (37.5-51.0)
Iron, Serum 44 (38-169)
Iron Saturation 13 LOW (15-55)
Ferritin, Serum 20 LOW (30-400)

Since my iron and ferritin were now low again, I kept taking the iron supplement. I decided to wait a little longer before donating this time (10 weeks) so I wouldn't lose all the iron. Here are my labs the day before I donated:
Hemoglobin 19.1 HIGH (12.6-17.7)
Hematocrit 55.8 HIGH (37.5-51.0)
Iron, Serum 87 (38-169)
Iron Saturation 30 (15-55)
Ferritin, Serum 63 (30-400)

I can't seem to replenish my iron and ferritin quick enough before I need to donate blood to keep Hematocrit down.

Even after this recent donation, my Hematocrit is probably around 53% and my iron and ferritin are now low again.

How do I keep my Hematocrit in check, while increasing my iron and ferritin?

Should I do a Double Red Cell Donation next time? Only take iron for 2 weeks after a donation?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yes. Double Red Cell. Why weren't you from the start? You don't have to donate as frequently.

Eat spinach and other high iron foods.

I'm giving again in December. Cannot wait. I think I can break the current 17 minute record for 2 pints. :)

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm on TRT as well and blood donations (every 56 days) crashed my iron and ferritin levels as well, making me anemic. It's not a fun condition to be in. I'm not qualified to give a double red donation with an A positive blood type but it sounds like you are. Thanks for the Blood Builder recommendation, looking that up now. What brand?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
OP - Like they said, seems as simple as giving blood while taking iron pills.

Which reminds me, I need to start giving blood again. I had to stop due to getting lots of ink done this year, so I'm kind of in a conundrum now. Tough to find a place that still practices 'blood letting'. Not sure where I can give blood just to have it thrown away, unless I lie about the ink.

L

Lockout888

Awards
Yes. Double Red Cell. Why weren't you from the start? You don't have to donate as frequently.
Eat spinach and other high iron foods.
I have done it once. The only place I can do it, is 30 min away and takes about an hour. The place I normally donate is 5 min away and donation takes 10 min. Convenience I guess.

I eat plenty of iron rich foods. The problem is with frequent donations, you don't have enough time between donations to fully replenish the iron and ferritin you lose from donating unless you are supplementing.

L

Lockout888

Awards
OP - Like they said, seems as simple as giving blood while taking iron pills.
That's the problem. Iron supplementation spikes hemoglobin and hematocrit too quickly. Not enough time to replenish iron stores before I was at 55.8% hematocrit.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Have you thought of taking a nattokinase supplement?

L

Lockout888

Awards
Have you thought of taking a nattokinase supplement?
Yes, and thanks for the suggestion. I read about it and started taking it a few days ago. I also started taking arginine & citrulline.

L

Lockout888

Awards
Well, here is my plan for now. Let me know what you guys think:

I donated whole blood on 10/19 after these labs:
Iron, Serum 87 (38-169)

After getting BW done before and after a donation last time, I'm guessing these are what my current numbers are now:
Hemoglobin 18.1 HIGH (12.6-17.7)
Hematocrit 53 HIGH (37.5-51.0)
Iron, Serum (38-169) 40
Iron Saturation (15-55) 14 LOW
Ferritin, Serum (30-400) 35

I can't donate again for 7 more weeks. So to keep my Hematocrit down until then, I lowered my test injections from 160/week to 120/week. I started taking nattokinase (4000 fu), and drinking grapefruit juice every day until the naringin I ordered comes in. I stopped taking supplemental iron, but will continue to eat foods with iron.

When I get close to the 8 week mark, I will re-test all the above to see where I'm at. If I'm still really high in hemo/hema - I will do a double red cell donation. If not, I will do a regular whole blood donation. I will bring my test injection levels back to normal and take supplemental iron for 2 weeks only. Then do another blood test of all the above to see the results.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're too high on hemoglobin they won't let you double red because of the centrifuge machine.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well, here is my plan for now. Let me know what you guys think:

I donated whole blood on 10/19 after these labs:
Iron, Serum 87 (38-169)

After getting BW done before and after a donation last time, I'm guessing these are what my current numbers are now:
Hemoglobin 18.1 HIGH (12.6-17.7)
Hematocrit 53 HIGH (37.5-51.0)
Iron, Serum (38-169) 40
Iron Saturation (15-55) 14 LOW
Ferritin, Serum (30-400) 35

I can't donate again for 7 more weeks. So to keep my Hematocrit down until then, I lowered my test injections from 160/week to 120/week. I started taking nattokinase (4000 fu), and drinking grapefruit juice every day until the naringin I ordered comes in. I stopped taking supplemental iron, but will continue to eat foods with iron.

When I get close to the 8 week mark, I will re-test all the above to see where I'm at. If I'm still really high in hemo/hema - I will do a double red cell donation. If not, I will do a regular whole blood donation. I will bring my test injection levels back to normal and take supplemental iron for 2 weeks only. Then do another blood test of all the above to see the results.
How did this go?
I'm pretty sure this is what I'm dealing with now after donating once a month for 6 months.
Dizziness, lightheaded, fatigue, etc.

M

mccollums

Awards
From what I've read, staying well hydrated can help with high hematocrit.

Definitely interested in Nattokinase and if that will help.

I just had some blood work done by my Gastro doc and I had slightly high hematocrit. I didn't get the other markers, (iron and stuff) measured this time. I'm scheduled to have all my markers tested for my HRT doc next month.

An idea to help with iron is to cook with cast iron :) You should absorb a little more iron with your food that way.