High GI carbs pwo and health?

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I tried low glycemic carbs pre and post workout, I noticed that post workout it is hard for me to get another meal within a hour. I was considering using maltodextrin or some other high gi carb, just because it is easier to consume. My question is high gi carbs pre and post workout bad for your health?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
throw oats in a blender with your whey and water and/or milk

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think youcan get away with a certain amount of dextrose post wo, but why bother? Why not just go for oats or some other low gi carb source. I used to consume dex/whey post wo, and then eat about 45 min. later. I got stronger, but I also got fat. I've been eating strictly low gi, and whole food 90-120 min. later, and I've been gaining steadily and leaner.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
I dont know why, but chocolate whey and oats is the best tasting shake i've ever had.:thumbsup:

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I tried low glycemic carbs pre and post workout, I noticed that post workout it is hard for me to get another meal within a hour. I was considering using maltodextrin or some other high gi carb, just because it is easier to consume. My question is high gi carbs pre and post workout bad for your health?

I mean there is an ongoing debate of people saying low is better and high is better. Personally it is preference. I side with the people on the low GI post workout because if you read up on exercise science and some of the studies done with it, it states that you have many hours to consume the carbohydrates needed to replenish your muscles, not only an hour or two like some people seem to think. This would mean that you don't need carbs that are going to rapidly supply your muscles with glycogen (in the process also causing some fat gain) but instead slowly supplying like you should be doing the entire day. High insulin spikes, in my opinion, are never that great for you in any way.

Glenihan hit it right on the head too. Grind up some oats, makes it easier.